TX Resident, 3.8 c/sGPA, but MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasSurgeon

I don't pay state taxes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a TX resident, with a c/s GPA of 3.8 with an upwards trend of 3.9-4.0 for the past 4 semesters. I took the MCAT two times already, and scored a 26 and 504 on them. I'm really bummed about the MCAT scores. I think that's what will hold me back the most.

EC's:

Research (probably over 1000+ hrs)
Undergraduate research fellowship award
Semester undergrad research fellowship award
1 abstract published
Currently working on a Thesis

Leadership-
President of a pre-health organization (1 yr)
Activities coordinator of same organization (1 yr)

Shadowing
Opthalmology (30 hrs)
Orthopedics (5 hrs)
OMS (5 hrs)
Pediatrics (20 hrs)
Neurology (30 hrs)

Volunteering:
~ 100+ hrs in a hospital

Work experience:
Tutor for kids in middle/high school on math and science subjects.

Thanks for your advice an advance. This is a very crude post in terms of my ECs. I'm just trying to be private and also not give away too much, so a lot of specifics has been left out. I'm mainly interested in how it'll be for me in terms of GPA + MCAT.

What would you guys recommend? Would retaking the mcat (*shudder*) really boost up my app? The strongest suite of my ECs will be the research I'm involved in.

Also, what would you suggest I do in a gap year? I'm leaning towards something public health/underprivileged related.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're aiming for MD you absolutely need to retake the MCAT, and score highly.

The 3.8/28 combination has snuck some TX residents into a state school of there's in the past. But it's FAR from any sure thing to even get a II with those stats and the multiple MCAT attempts might complicate things anymore. If you are boning for the MD, I think a retake has to be given fairly significant consideration.

If you are going to give the MCAT one final re-take, don't do so until you radically change your strategy, set aside several months to go all in and exhaust every resources and analyze all your past mistakes, and dont' take the test again until you see real improvement in your practice test scores from your practice tests the first two times around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't recommend a retake, since you went from a 26 to only a 27-28 equivalent. The only consideration of a retake is if you somehow found a new strategy that can ensure you to score >34 equivalent on the last attempt, but it doesn't seem to be worth it.

Focus strictly on Texas schools and apply mainly DO. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @Lawper that a 3rd MCAT take will only benefit you if you can get a 32+. I think you have fine chances at Texas and low-tier MD schools with a 3.8 and 27-28, and any DO school. Your ECs look great, though you might consider adding in a non-clinical/medical EC that you can talk about and distinguish yourself further in the event that your numbers don't immediately pop off the page. Most schools that I've come across really care about this, and I had a friend with your exact numbers get a rejection with suggestions of an MCAT re-take and gaining more non-clinical volunteer experience (he got accepted to a mid-tier MD school after reapplying the next year). Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
I would apply to all the Texas MDs and a bunch of DO schools. Your MCAT isn't good and two similar scores show that that's the interval you score in with high accuracy. However, your excellent GPA will compensate somewhat for this deficiency. I feel you are a compelling DO applicant and are in a friendly state for MD admissions, which is to your advantage.

I was in a similar situation as you a few years ago. I decided to spend my gap year (plus an additional year) to get a Master's degree. Furthering your education (especially in something like public health) shows your dedication to the field of medicine as a whole. Plus, if you are wanting to stay in Texas, there are several master's programs that are in the same location as the medical school. You could use that time to build relationships within that school. Good luck to you!

I was in a similar situation as you a few years ago. I decided to spend my gap year (plus an additional year) to get a Master's degree. Furthering your education (especially in something like public health) shows your dedication to the field of medicine as a whole. Plus, if you are wanting to stay in Texas, there are several master's programs that are in the same location as the medical school. You could use that time to build relationships within that school. Good luck to you!

I agree that building relationships with the school would be helpful. However, a few cautions: I was told by ADCOM at a top-tier school that pursuing an MPH is fantastic if that is an interest of yours, but this specific ADCOM set it aside from your application because public health is not the same thing as clinical medicine. Certainly you would benefit from a graduate degree, but since your GPA is great I'm not sure that it would strengthen your application more than focusing on your MCAT and ECs could!