Types of plastic surgeries/procedures that ENTs can do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftp902

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi ENT experts out there,

I recently realized that ENTs also perform a various kinds of plastic surgeries/procedures like rhinoplasty. For example, patients who might have squamous cell carcinoma in the conjunctiva or eye also would want to have fascial reconstruction to help them look good after resection of the tumor and these are all important part of otolaryngology.

My question is what are types of plastic procedures that ENT docs are expected to perform and to what extent? For those certain procedures, why would patient choose ENT doc over plastics surgeon?

How do you foresee the future of plastic surgeries/procedures that are also performed by ENT docs?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi ENT experts out there,

I recently realized that ENTs also perform a various kinds of plastic surgeries/procedures like rhinoplasty. For example, patients who might have squamous cell carcinoma in the conjunctiva or eye also would want to have fascial reconstruction to help them look good after resection of the tumor and these are all important part of otolaryngology.

My question is what are types of plastic procedures that ENT docs are expected to perform and to what extent? For those certain procedures, why would patient choose ENT doc over plastics surgeon?

How do you foresee the future of plastic surgeries/procedures that are also performed by ENT docs?

Thank you.

Before you get carried away, if you're thinking ENT is a convenient "back door" into plastic surgery, know that matching ENT is just as competitive, if not more so than integrated plastics.

That said, ENT does most of the head and neck reconstruction nowadays, with the exception of a few centers (Pitt and NYU come to mind). For cosmetic procedures, facial plastics trained ENTs do just about any facial procedure a "traditional" plastic surgeon would (rhinos, faces, brows, etc.). Craniofacial stuff tends to be more plastics, although some ENTs do clefts too. Anything outside the H&N is obviously plastics territory, although you'll find some scummy ENTs doing breast and body work, I'm sure.

As for who to choose, I suspect a lot of it is marketing. But, as with any surgical procedure, it's less about the degree on your wall and more about what you have the experience to feel comfortable with.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for chiming in!

I looked it up and it looks like ENTs as well as plastics people will have to apply for fascial plastic fellowship through sfmatch. Does anyone know how competitive to get a spot if anyone matched recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for chiming in!

I looked it up and it looks like ENTs as well as plastics people will have to apply for fascial plastic fellowship through sfmatch. Does anyone know how competitive to get a spot if anyone matched recently?
Plastic surgeons don't do facial plastic surgery fellowships, they're already plastic surgeons.

Plastic surgeons don't do facial plastic surgery fellowships, they're already plastic surgeons.

This is wrong. A fellowship is designed to give you more training in a specific area that you may be more interested in. Most residents, regardless if you're Plastics or ENT trained, are not doing complex facial plastics procedures that you would learn as a fellow.

Reactions: 1 user
The pathways are sometimes different (from talking to my prs friends). It seems the plastics guys do a lot of informal apprenticeship type stuff. Much less formal than the San Francisco match for facial plastics

The pathways are sometimes different (from talking to my prs friends). It seems the plastics guys do a lot of informal apprenticeship type stuff. Much less formal than the San Francisco match for facial plastics

There are also non-ACGME facial plastics fellowships or apprenticeships as you will for ENT as well.