typical day in Heme-Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious about hematology-oncology but every thread I've searched focuses on salary, lifestyle, competitiveness, etc. I can't find any good info on what a typical day is actually like in Heme-Onc.

Is it basically just giving out chemo and tweaking the regimens? I have no idea. I want to know if it is still intellectually challenging. Do you get to investigate things? Are you the one who makes the diagnosis? Is administering chemo a challenging thing? Or is most of the work kind of redundant (patient comes in with diagnosis of cancer and you give the chemo)?

When I say "what is a typical day?" I don't mean number of patients or call or rounding or anyting. Im asking about what you actually do in treatment.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

bump

please, I know there's people out there who know this....

All I am asking is what exactly Heme Onc guys do. Do they just give chemo regimens? Do they diagnose?

Again,I am NOT asking about lifestyle or compensation or competiveness as I realize those answers are readily available elsewhere

thanks

A typical patient course for an oncology doc involves getting the referral for a patient based on imaging, lab test, or biopsy results, seeing the patient, getting a biospy or ordering other lab tests and imaging in the workup, treating the patient (usually with some type of chemo or other drug and making referrals to other specialites for treatment, i.e rad onc), monitoring for side effects, infection, and progression of disease in various office visits, repeating the above process until the patient is cured and may need to follow up infrequently or until they begin to subacutely or acutely pass at which end of life goals are discussed.

Private practive involves variations of the above all day long both in clinic and in the hospital (patients admitted for side effects, infection, etc..). Academics involves less clinical care, with the addition of possible research, medical education, etc...