Typical Shadowing Experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BSLisBull

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recently was approved for shadowing under a small animal vet. They requested a resume and interview outlining my previous veterinary experience. I have several hundred hours working as a technician at a mixed animal practice before I moved as well as veterinary technician classes. I specifically stated I would like more experience with radiology and surgery after being asked what my shadowing goals were. However, upon showing up the next day, the vet pulled me aside and told me he spoke with workmans comp and was told that I could not touch anything, literally anything. I can't draw up vaccines, take histories, or even do a nail trim. Basically I am not allowed to touch an animal, talk with clients (can't answer phones of introduce myself), and I am not allowed to observe any surgeries including dentals. That day was a 12 hour day of standing in the corner and nothing more.

Where I worked previously was through a family friend in a more rural area. Is this shadowing experience typical to practices in MA/RI? Personally it seems a bit extreme to literally not be able to touch a thing but didn't want to jump to conclusions as I do not know the rules/routines of practices in these states.

Members don't see this ad.

So I recently was approved for shadowing under a small animal vet. They requested a resume and interview outlining my previous veterinary experience. I have several hundred hours working as a technician at a mixed animal practice before I moved as well as veterinary technician classes. I specifically stated I would like more experience with radiology and surgery after being asked what my shadowing goals were. However, upon showing up the next day, the vet pulled me aside and told me he spoke with workmans comp and was told that I could not touch anything, literally anything. I can't draw up vaccines, take histories, or even do a nail trim. Basically I am not allowed to touch an animal, talk with clients (can't answer phones of introduce myself), and I am not allowed to observe any surgeries including dentals. That day was a 12 hour day of standing in the corner and nothing more.

Where I worked previously was through a family friend in a more rural area. Is this shadowing experience typical to practices in MA/RI? Personally it seems a bit extreme to literally not be able to touch a thing but didn't want to jump to conclusions as I do not know the rules/routines of practices in these states.
It has nothing to do with the vet but everything to do with what would happen if you were to be injured while working (even as a volunteer). So watch - because you can learn a lot by looking. But workman's comp likely won't cover you and that's why he's doing this. If you were to be injured it would be his liability

Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty typical of shadowing. Emphasis on the word "shadowing." That's implying that you're there to watch and ask questions. It's a liability issue, so try not to take it personally. :)

Members don't see this ad :)

I had a similar experience (in FL though). It really is because of liability issues. As a shadow, you're not going to be covered by their insurance. You can still observe and ask questions though. You are probably going to have to try to be proactive about it so you don't end up staring at a wall/being bored.

Some places/vets are more lenient about letting you get involved *with certain situations*. So you could ask around and see if there are other small animal vets that have the insurance to cover volunteers or are just personally OK with letting you get more hands on experience. Every vet is going to have a different policy, a different level of trust, and rightly so because it's his/her license on the line. Sometimes a place might start you off doing nothing and then as you build a relationship with them, they *might* let you do more.

Like others have said, it really is a liability issue. Shadowing means watching and asking questions, nothing else. As far as watching surgeries, etc - I think that might come with a level of trust. I've seen some people do some pretty stupid things when the vet said they could watch a surgery. For radiography, some states require workers to wear personal dosimeters if they're going to be exposed, so that might be why they don't want you in the room for those.

Most of my shadowing experiences have at least started with "standing in a corner" for a while. As others have said, that is pretty typical. A couple of my shadowing experiences started to involve being assigned miscellaneous tasks as the staff grew to trust me more, but this takes time. You can certainly learn a good bit from watching and asking questions, though!

Right now the vet has me observing the techs more than anything. It's just tough to come up with questions when I've already been exposed to and learned about most of what the techs have been doing (not trying to sound like a snob). I just don't feel as if I'm learning much and have to dig to find something to ask.

After I had been at one place for a total of 40 hours or so, they let me help walk dogs and do some restraining for ear cleaning and nail trims. Initially it was just observe and clean exam rooms between appointments.

Right now the vet has me observing the techs more than anything. It's just tough to come up with questions when I've already been exposed to and learned about most of what the techs have been doing (not trying to sound like a snob). I just don't feel as if I'm learning much and have to dig to find something to ask.
Well if the experience really isn't going to be a benefit to you, it might not be a bad idea to look elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Google "volunteer's insurance" and get it if the opportunity is worth it. If not, look for opportunities at shelters. They usually need all the help they can get and will let you do almost everything their techs would.

So the clinic you're shadowing in does everything exactly the same as the one you worked in?

Most veterinarians have different ways of doing things. Those are the things that I would be asking about. Why did you choose Y instead of Z? You could learn a lot from that.

I got almost no hands-on experience at the place that I spent most of my pre-vet shadowing time, because of liability concerns. That said, they were a little more flexible about letting me watch whatever I wanted, so I focused on a nice balance of appointments for client communication, dentistry, surgery, lab, etc. But all in all, very little hands on. Now they are one of the places offering me a job.

So... *shrug*

If you really don't like the place then obviously don't shadow there. If it's just that you aren't getting hands on .... leave if it bothers you that much, or just be grateful you have a place to watch and learn and build hours and remember that you'll get plenty of hands on down the road in vet school. In the end, you just have to decide if it's worth it to you or not.

You may think it's a little harsh, but .... the vet doesn't know you. It's not your animal you're wanting to touch. And the vet has almost all the risk - liability, license - and you have almost none (except potentially getting hurt, which is bad news for both you AND the vet/clinic). You probably should consider their side a little more?

Last edited:

I live in MA. Before I was hired as a vet tech at the hospital where I currently work, I had shadowed for about 4 months. MA has strict liability laws concerning all medical health professions that excludes any and all volunteers from physical participation in any and all medical procedures. Since this is vet med, that also includes anything concerning the animals in any way, shape, or form (such as walking, feeding, etc). In MA, shadowing is exactly that, you are a shadow to the DVM. You observe and converse, but that's all. If you touch anything at all and an animal or employee is harmed even in the most remotely related manner, this state allows for liability claims and lawsuit for full compensation by the claimants. This means that if you even so much as hand the vet an already reconstituted vaccine in its syringe, and the animal has a reaction - you can also be named in a lawsuit and the DVM has to pay for your coverage. Some vet hospitals in MA have a consent release form - it releases the DVM/hospital from this liability because you are stating that you understand that you are not allowed to touch/participate and if you do then you are now accepting full responsibility for that liability.

That said - I had a bunch of hands-on experience during those 4 months as they learned that I was capable and trustworthy not to make a gross error. (Hence being hired later - but even in the beginning it was slow-going as I was allowed to do more and more) I also signed a document with a partial liability release - where negligence/disregard for instructions on my part would hold me liable, but I was allowed patient contact. So this will depend on the DVM/hospitals you work with.

It's state law and hundreds of applicants that are from MA successfully gain entrance into Vet Schools each year - a lot with only shadowing experience. From a personal point of view, as a paid technician, I was less able to ask all the questions and participate in all of the cases that I desired because I was busy with appointments. Don't count out shadowing in MA just because you feel "it seems a bit extreme to literally not be able to touch a thing" - even when I shadowed, I was so busy asking a million questions of the doctors and technicians, that I never felt I was completely outside of the daily proceedings. Something I WAS able to do when shadowing, was conduct patient intake prior to the doctor going in for an appointment. It involved no touching of anything, simply gathering patient history from the owners and presenting the cases to the doctors before they entered. That may be something, if you and the doctors are comfortable with it, that you can discuss being allowed to do! I learned a ton that way and one of the doctors really enjoyed hammering me with causation/problem solving when I presented! Just a suggestion!

Hope this helps give you a better perspective, at least in the state of MA!

Liability is definitely a thing, and if you were hurt or did something to compromise the health of a patient, the clinic would be in very hot water.

There's nothing wrong with observing :) I did a lot of "just" observing. Don't be afraid to ask questions and talk; as long as you're not bothering or interrupting their work, the doctors may share some valuable information or experiences with you.

There is something to say for shadowing I think; you actually get to *see* what's going on. I worked for a couple of years as a tech, which was brilliant for getting to do hands-on stuff, but I also wasn't able to really watch some procedures because I was the one doing things like restraining the patient, or monitoring vitals, etc. While that was all great experience in itself, there were definitely times during, say, an unusual surgery, or even a routine procedure, where I would have liked to be able to just stand and watch and talk through the procedure, but when I was responsible for a task I had to focus my attention on that task or else I might put the patient at risk. Ups and downs to both, really. Definitely opportunities to make the most of shadowing vs hands-on though