U Michigan Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C_Wonder_2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying peds and med/peds and was looking at the NRMP match report and see that in 2014 U Michigan only filled 14 of 22 spots and had to scramble for 8.

Anyone have insight about possible problems at U Michigan peds??

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Match-Data-Main-Match-Program-Results-2010-2014.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

Yep heard about this too and heard about it from residents at my school too. Apparently nobody really knows why it happened since it's historically a fairly strong program except maybe they didn't rank far enough down their interview list.

I am sure they didn't go far enough down the rank list because the University of Michigan is the Midwestern epicenter of institutional narcissism. Look at any web page from any program throughout that entire institution, not just the medical school, and you will see that the place is jam packed with the "leaders and best". If you went to Ann Arbor you would hear that BS ad nauseum. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when the program director and pediatrics chair had to explain to the med school dean that their next pediatric class of interns would include eight people who scrambled into the program. Like that doofus Brady Hoke, the dean might have said, "This is Michigan fergodsakes!".

Anyone have insight about possible problems at U Michigan peds??

From what I have heard and seen nothing much has fundamentally changed - it remains a strong program where you will see and learn all you need to learn. The new hospital expansion led to changes to the applicant pool that were unanticipated and not well accounted for in the rank list. Having interviews during the arctic blast didn't help either. It has led to a reevaluation of the interview process and program and changes are being made for the better of all.

I won't comment much on the previous post besides saying that judging a health system (and inferring a residency training experience) purely based on their degree of self promotion on a Web site doesn't hold a lot of weight especially in this day and age - everyone does it. If you think UM is the peak of narcissism it makes me shudder to think of your opinion of any larger schools on the coasts.

Members don't see this ad :)
Speaking to one of the interns who went to med school at U Michigan, it really seems to be a case of not interviewing/ranking enough people. It also seems like this past year was a little of an anomaly in that U Mich students, and other students from Michigan med schools (MSU, Wayne State) didn't rank the program as highly as they typically do. Regardless, it is still a great program and you should apply and interview (if you're offered) to figure out if it's the right program for you

As a Michigan (undergraduate) alumnus, I can say that Obnoxious Dad is correct, just a bit over the top. And Rutgers06 is correct with the assessment of what happened last year. You might have a stronger chance of matching this year as they should be careful to avoid last year's results. Nothing wrong the the program; still one of the best places to train in the Midwest and US, Obnoxious Dad, ;)

As a Michigan (undergraduate) alumnus, I can say that Obnoxious Dad is correct, just a bit over the top. And Rutgers06 is correct with the assessment of what happened last year. You might have a stronger chance of matching this year as they should be careful to avoid last year's results. Nothing wrong the the program; still one of the best places to train in the Midwest and US, Obnoxious Dad, ;)
I will admit that I only know about this business through reading and research. I've read and heard that Michigan's pediatrics program is fine but it wouldn't be in the top 3 in Ohio. It would also fall behind MCW's program in Milwaukee and the Northwestern program in Chicago. I'm not sure its reputation is much better than the reputations of the programs at Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison, Mayo, U of Chicago or Indiana. If you were to voice that opinion to anyone associated with the landscape architecture program at UM he or she would fall on the floor and scream, "Brady Hoke and now this?!"

I will admit that I only know about this business through reading and research. I've read and heard that Michigan's pediatrics program is fine but it wouldn't be in the top 3 in Ohio. It would also fall behind MCW's program in Milwaukee and the Northwestern program in Chicago. I'm not sure its reputation is much better than the reputations of the programs at Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin-Madison, Mayo, U of Chicago or Indiana. If you were to voice that opinion to anyone associated with the landscape architecture program at UM he or she would fall on the floor and scream, "Brady Hoke and now this?!"

You might be right, but at some point it's all just a matter of opinion. All I know is that it has a very strong reputation and residency at UofM will open most of the same doors as NW, MCW, Cinci, OSU, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, IU etc... I think it's safe to assume you're from the Midwest. We can at least agree that we're fortunate to have so many good programs in the heartland. Doesn't seem like you would be very happy at UofM, and that's OK.

I will say that your opinions of UofM are a wee bit dramatic for someone who only knows about it through reading and research. But it does suck to be a football fan right now, and I'm a little embarrassed by our fanbase so maybe that's where it's coming from.

I agree that we are fortunate to have so many good options in the Midwest. Just out of curiosity, where do people get their conceptions of program ranks? Are there any quantitative data that people use or is it more just a vague sense of reputation? FREIDA for example provides really not much information and program websites are all proclaiming themselves to be exceptional.
Thanks!