U of Michigan OMS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

third_molar

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cant make my mind about U of Michigan OMS, any residents and/or students have any ideas or insights?

Members don't see this ad.

No one has anything to say about U. of Michigan's OMS program? the deadline is within two days. please help....

From my externship, a 1st year resident told me that U of Mich OMFS residency is a huge residency on cancer and it's not a well rounded residency. This 1st year resident interviewed there last year. This resident also said that the other OMFS residency in Michigan is much more well rounded in scope of training.

This resident informed me not to even apply there. Nonetheless, has a great name!

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who's rotated through the program, let me say that yes there's a lot of cancer. What else are you going to expect from a Level I trauma medical complex? But there's also a ton of orthognathic, general medicine, implants, etc. What exactly are you looking for or trying to avoid? And didn't you get these questions answered when you interviewed?

With the Cancer center down the hall from them, of course the OMS will have a lot of cancer cases, but I know personally that they do a lot of other stuff. My friend just had an orthognatic surgery and the OMS surgeon did one side, and the resident did the other side. They see a lot of cases that come from the Hospital, and also do high level extractions and other stuff.
I can ask my friend, a 4th yr there who spends a lot of time in the OMS dept for some specifics tonight, and post, hopefully its not too late b4 u make ur decision.

Blue Tooth said:
As someone who's rotated through the program, let me say that yes there's a lot of cancer. What else are you going to expect from a Level I trauma medical complex?

Blue Tooth:

When I say I heard "there is a lot cancer", I meant that within the scope of OMFS practice and residency, U of Mich does more cancer than any other aspects of OMFS scope of practice. Of course there are dentoalveolar, orthognathics, trauma, craniofacial, and/or comestics at U of Mich or else they would not be accredited by the ADA as an OMFS residency. BTW, residencies picks and chooses what type of residency training they tend to emphasize more. Just because it's affliated with a Level I Trauma Center, it does not mean a lot of cancer or vice versa.

Also, when people say an OMFS residency has an emphasis on cancer or has a lot of cancer, it doesn't mean that they just see a lot of cancer because they train in a Level I trauma center. It is meant, I believe, this particular residency places a strong emphasis on cancer training and probably does a lot of neck dessections where other OMFS residencies leave those cases to the ENTs.

U of MN, Nova, and LSUNO are all affliated with Level I Trauma Centers, are they mainly focused on cancer, the answer is no! Do they see a lot of cancer cases, of course, but they are trained in other scope of practice just as much or more (more well rounded)! It is very difficult to tell what the OMFS residency is like at your dental school unless you do an externship there (take calls, rotate through their main hospital clinic, go into OR, etc.). As a normal dental student having rotated through the oral surgery rotation will not tell you about the training scope of the residency. What you see in the Predoc oral surgery clinic is nothing in comparison to what an OMFS resident gets trained in.

I didn't say anything about rotating through dental school oral surgery clinic. I said the hospital OMFS dept which we rotate through. It's a completely separate facility from our dental school.

Not to sound harsh, but believe it or not, you don't know everything about OMFS. And I don't want to read a follow up post from you about how you don't actually know everything, that you don't act like you do, yada yada. You do act like a know it all, so enough with the pretention and condescension.

Blue Tooth said:
I didn't say anything about rotating through dental school oral surgery clinic. I said the hospital OMFS dept which we rotate through. It's a completely separate facility from our dental school.

Not to sound harsh, but believe it or not, you don't know everything about OMFS. And I don't want to read a follow up post from you about how you don't actually know everything, that you don't act like you do, yada yada. You do act like a know it all, so enough with the pretention and condescension.

No offense taken Blue Tooth. I know a lot more about OMFS than a lot of current dental students simply because I'm interested in it. Not trying to sound like a "know it all", that was not the intention here and I simply don't know everything. With that said, I can bet that I know a bit more than you though! :laugh:

Blue Tooth said:
As someone who's rotated through the program, let me say that yes there's a lot of cancer.

You also never did specify that you've rotated through the hospital. Regardless, that's still not enough to thoroughly learn about your residency.

Listen BlueTooth, I'm sure you're a good guy and this isn't about bashing U of Mich OMFS residency either. It's a great school and I'm sure it's a great program. But unfortunately, in applicants eyes, a more well-rounded OMFS programs in the the Big Ten schools will have to go to Minnesota and Iowa. Those are the words around the block these days! ;)

its not too late, and i appreciate the responses alot.

I am looking for a program that is well rounded in OMFS in addition to an emphasis on head&Neck surgery. What I am not sure of is whether UMich is like that or not. I know they do alot of cancer, but am not sure about the rest.

On the interview, they made it sound like that. However, I head otherwise from 2 or 3 of my resident friends who are not at umich. Wanted to hear ideas. Confused about that place.

Although UMich is a level I trauma center, Ann Arbor is not detroit, and I cant recall the #'s they quoted for trauma. Actually, UMich hosp turned Level I in 2003, which might have increased their trauma load.

keep it coming gals/guys!

thanks

Any OMFS residents want to give their two cents....appreciated

I don't know a ton about it, but a GPR guy at San Antonio went there. He was originally from Canada, so may not have been too picky about his choices, but he really seemed to like it. I'm sure you will get more than your fair share of dentoalveolar and trauma. Unfortunately how most people judge a "good oms program" is how much cosmetic surgery they do. I would seriously consider it if it were on my list.

Jediwendell said:
I don't know a ton about it, but a GPR guy at San Antonio went there. He was originally from Canada, so may not have been too picky about his choices, but he really seemed to like it. I'm sure you will get more than your fair share of dentoalveolar and trauma. Unfortunately how most people judge a "good oms program" is how much cosmetic surgery they do. I would seriously consider it if it were on my list.
I met the guy you're speaking of at my interview. To be honest, he appeared miserable, along with most of the other residents I met. The demand put on you at that program is huge. You are so busy that you can't even attend your med school classes your first year. They are definitely focused on cancer. It is definitely a good program, but geared for the academic surgeons. Too late now though, the ranks are solid as of last night!!!!!!

tjb

All interns are miserable. I haven't talked to him since he went up there, so you are a better source about his current status than I am.