U of Michigan Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tulips224

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between 2 programs - one being a home program that I have rotated through and know a lot about, and the other being U of Michigan which I know less about. Some small questions I have are:

1. Do attendings have time to do a lot of teaching while you are in your continuity clinic? Is there enough time for them to sit down and talk to you about various aspects of each case, or is it too busy?

2. I know there are no golden weekends when you are on floor months. When you are not on call/floor months, do you ever have to work on weekends? Or are those months generally M-F?

3. Is there good attendance at morning report and lunch time conference?

4. Do you feel that there are good friendships formed between the residents?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am trying to decide between 2 programs - one being a home program that I have rotated through and know a lot about, and the other being U of Michigan which I know less about. Some small questions I have are:

1. Do attendings have time to do a lot of teaching while you are in your continuity clinic? Is there enough time for them to sit down and talk to you about various aspects of each case, or is it too busy?

2. I know there are no golden weekends when you are on floor months. When you are not on call/floor months, do you ever have to work on weekends? Or are those months generally M-F?

3. Is there good attendance at morning report and lunch time conference?

4. Do you feel that there are good friendships formed between the residents?

Thanks so much!!

Hey! About CC. For sure. We have a 30 min evidence based thing before we start seeing patients each week. I've never found clinic to be too busy that I could not ask for help/talk about a patient.

Weekends, on my outpatient months I've not had to work weekends. Most of the floor call months are going to happen intern year.

Attendence at conference is good and encouraged. I find conferences really good and helpful. NICU has their own morning conference ... other than that it's made a priority for the everyone to go.

Pretty much all of my friends are my co-residents. Feel free to hit me with questions.

I am also thinking about how to rank U of Michigan. What would you say about patient load for the residents? Too high, too low, or just right? I ask because some of the faculty members I've spoken to at other programs voiced "too low patient load" as a potential concern.

Thanks,

AA

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also thinking about how to rank U of Michigan. What would you say about patient load for the residents? Too high, too low, or just right? I ask because some of the faculty members I've spoken to at other programs voiced "too low patient load" as a potential concern.

Thanks,

AA

Other faculty members at other places commenting on our volume? That's funny.

... I certainly don't want to see more patients than I already do :).

On the floor we carry 6-8 patients, same with the NICU. I see everything from hypoplasts to wierd genetic syndromes to asthma. If your concern is do we see enough "common stuff" ... we do for sure. We are a high acuity center and do see some zebras as well ... the majority of our admissions are bread and butter peds.

My continuity clinic last week, two well childs, frequent urination, and URI.

Our program directors are very engaged ... ensuring that we are not overworked, seeing the right balance of patients, etc.

Friday they also announced a special track where you can choose to do a subspecialty clinic, primary care clinic, or an advocacy/research project 1/2 day a week 2nd and third year. Not on topic, but cool.

Keep firing away with questions.

I, too, am thinking of ranking Michigan very highly. :) But am thrown by the "No golden weekends" thing, I don't remember this being mentioned; but I interviewed there awhile ago.

If there are not any golden weekends, how do days off work? 1/week? Do you get non-call weekend days off? I'm assuming (Hopefully correctly) that you get weekends off when on outpt electives.

This will not be the deciding factor in my decision, but is nice to know;)

Thanks!

I, too, am thinking of ranking Michigan very highly. :) But am thrown by the "No golden weekends" thing, I don't remember this being mentioned; but I interviewed there awhile ago.

If there are not any golden weekends, how do days off work? 1/week? Do you get non-call weekend days off? I'm assuming (Hopefully correctly) that you get weekends off when on outpt electives.

This will not be the deciding factor in my decision, but is nice to know;)

Thanks!

Electives you get weekends off, unless you are weekend senior or something. I think you get golden weekends in the PICU. On the wards 1 day off per week. We typically sit down as a team and figure out which day works best. I usually like a post-post call day to take off.

Second year ... only 2 q4 months ...

Now that this has been brought up, I have a question about weekends. If you are there on Saturdays and Sundays, is it generally just that you go in to round, and take care of what needs to be done on the floor and then get to leave (as long as you are not on call)? Or are you generally there for full days on weekends as well?

Do you feel that the program is "family friendly?"

Thanks a lot for all of your advice!!

Now that this has been brought up, I have a question about weekends. If you are there on Saturdays and Sundays, is it generally just that you go in to round, and take care of what needs to be done on the floor and then get to leave (as long as you are not on call)? Or are you generally there for full days on weekends as well?

Do you feel that the program is "family friendly?"

Thanks a lot for all of your advice!!

You leave when work is done on the weekends ... usually very early afternoon. Your team does not take admissions on weekends either unless you are on call.

I do think the program is family friendly ... we had an intern who started the year on maternity leave ... lots of people have kids.