U.S. student wanting to understand the system

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexworld1516

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all thank you in advance for those who take their time to offer their advice. I have found that medicine is something that I most absolutely pursue, but I’m a bit lost on the whole process. I’m a recent U.S. citizen (my father was a citizen since a long time ago but never actually took me to the consulate, I got my citizenship when I found out it was my right at my current age (29)).

I have a weird situation going on with my studies. I have finished a bachelors in psychology and a masters in health sciences with a specialization in immunology, both in Mexico. My GPA in my bachelors was around 3.45 and from my masters its 3.9. Most science classes would be in my masters but this is where it gets tricky.

Would the classes I got in Mexico automatically count towards the requirements, or could I take the courses in the states?, if so would my GPA be an average of all my studies or they would take only the classes taken in the states?.

I’m interested in University of California San Diego, and Irvine campus, especially the joint md-PhD programs, tho i plan on applying to multiple med schools.

I’ve worked for 5 years in a health clinic giving psychological therapy (since in Mexico the bachelors is enough accreditation to be a psychotherapist) and helping the MD at the clinic (from talking to the patients, taking of blood samples, I.V. , etc.)

I’ve done clinical research in several subjects including leptospirosis for my masters.

I don’t know if I wrote enough background information to have a good picture. But ill happily answer any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
...I have finished a bachelors in psychology and a masters in health sciences with a specialization in immunology, both in Mexico. My GPA in my bachelors was around 3.45...

I’m interested in University of California San Diego, and Irvine campus, especially the joint md-PhD programs....
A foreign college grad nontrad with a lowish foreign undergrad GPA doesn't really put you in a position to list a single med school that you are interested in. You are going to have to apply to a ton of places and consider yourself lucky with whatever you get. i think with a strong showing in the prereqs in the US, MCAT, and some US ECs you could have a shot at medical school, but focusing in on a single California school is probably unproductive.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to do some reading on transferring credits from your colleges in Mexico. Many US med schools won't take them. Perhaps contact a few med school admissions offices and see what they recommend, but your gpa is low for most MD schools. You might consider DO and do some reading on it.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you may need to do a DIY post-bacc to get the pre-reqs.

Definitely talk to some med school admissions offices to get a feel for what students like you who have foreign degrees do in your situation.

Look into community college for cheap credits. See if they will transfer credits from your school in Mexico. See if there's a 4 year school that will take give credit for all of the above. See if medical schools recognize foreign credits that are recognized by community college or a 4 year school.

thank you for the advice ill look unto those venues!, at this point im just considering doing a new bachelor to get a 4.0 gpa....