U southern cali in LA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CenteredDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just looking at the 2016 match result for this program. It had 6 spots, but only 2 of those were filled. Anybody know why? Should I stay away from that program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just looking at the 2016 match result for this program. It had 6 spots, but only 2 of those were filled. Anybody know why? Should I stay away from that program?

I interviewed at USC this year but have not rotated nor am I a medical student at Keck, as such my information is limited. I was / am similarly confused about USC's 2016 match results.

From what I've seen, USC has gone unfilled a few times, usually for 1-2 spots. Word on the forums is that given the state of pathology applicants, USC would selectively interview and pick up a SOAPer or two with hopes they could snag strong unmatched surgical sub-specialty residents. Further comments from me would be purely speculative, but other applicants I spoke with were told that simply not enough applicants were interviewed.

I'll say that regarding my interview, the residents I met were well adjusted, happy, and pleased with their training. The PD is chair for the pathology milestones committee and seems deeply invested in his program. The program itself seems to have a decent specimen volume and mix between Keck and LAC, with outside rotations if a subject area is lacking at LAC-Keck. Benefits are a little ridiculous (lots of food money, good book fund). The immediate location is not great, and fairly expensive, but welcome to California. USC has a some staple fellowships like surgpath, heme, neuro, cyto, however is lacking a few, notably derm and GI. Certainly worth interviewing at and having a look yourself if you'd like to be in California.

I didn't notice any glaring deficiencies during my interview day that would explain the 2016 match. I would also appreciate if someone with more insight (USC MS, resident, rotator) could shed some light.