U Toronto for pre med?

PrepschoolDR

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I'm a US citizen looking at U toronto to get my Bsc (their neuroscience and genetics specialty would be amazing since I want to major in neuro and minor in genetics at the US schools I'm considering), could I still go to a US med school? Is it harder or pretty similar in application process? Do they have pre health advising so you make sure to get your reqs out of the way for med school? Also, any info on the neurobio-genetics specialty would be good to hear :) Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If I'm a US citizen looking at U toronto to get my Bsc (their neuroscience and genetics specialty would be amazing since I want to major in neuro and minor in genetics at the US schools I'm considering), could I still go to a US med school? Is it harder or pretty similar in application process? Do they have pre health advising so you make sure to get your reqs out of the way for med school? Also, any info on the neurobio-genetics specialty would be good to hear :) Thanks!
Yes, you could still go to a US med school.
No difference in application process, especially since you're a US citizen. Will it be harder for you to get into a US medical school if you go to UofT for UG? I'm inclined to say yes.
You don't really need a pre-health advisor to "make sure to get your reqs out of the way for med school." There are a few core prerequisites that will make you eligible for most medical schools and those are fairly easy to figure out if you look at the websites of the schools you think you might end up applying to. And if you ever need more personal guidance, there's lots of help available on here (SDN)

Out of curiosity though, if your major of interest is offered in US schools, what exactly is the allure of University of Toronto?

You definitely can apply. People who are Canadian citizens even go to US medical schools after doing their UG in Canada.

Would it be harder? Probably, In Canada there is no "pre-med advisor" and you will be very much left to your own devices if you come up north to study. Canadian universities aren't as well funded so they don't have a lot of the bells and whistles that many private universities in the states have.

With that being said, you can easily do everything without a premed advisor, its just a matter of choosing the right courses that meet US medical school requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you could still go to a US med school.
No difference in application process, especially since you're a US citizen. Will it be harder for you to get into a US medical school if you go to UofT for UG? I'm inclined to say yes.
You don't really need a pre-health advisor to "make sure to get your reqs out of the way for med school." There are a few core prerequisites that will make you eligible for most medical schools and those are fairly easy to figure out if you look at the websites of the schools you think you might end up applying to. And if you ever need more personal guidance, there's lots of help available on here (SDN)

Out of curiosity though, if your major of interest is offered in US schools, what exactly is the allure of University of Toronto?
I've always wanted to go abroad for college and I'm still looking into UK schools because that's always been a dream of mine, but U of T would be more realistic and I still would feel like I'm not just going to another school like my HS (it's really rigorous--#1 in USA private HS) and just be fed into the ivies system. Don't get me wrong, the ivies are great and I really like some of them, but I guess I'm just up for more of a change :)

I've always wanted to go abroad for college and I'm still looking into UK schools because that's always been a dream of mine, but U of T would be more realistic and I still would feel like I'm not just going to another school like my HS (it's really rigorous--#1 in USA private HS) and just be fed into the ivies system. Don't get me wrong, the ivies are great and I really like some of them, but I guess I'm just up for more of a change :)

Can't really comment on the logistics of US MD after undergrad in UK, but I would imagine it would be at least a little more complicated than UG in Canada/US.

I'm not sure what you're implying but UofT is fairly "rigorous". Standards there are definitely higher than neighboring schools and I think you will have an easier time getting the marks you need for med school at a different university.
Keep in mind that you will likely paying a lot more for tuition at UofT than if you just stay in the US. Apart from that, overall, I don't think going to UofT will significantly disadvantage you for US MD admissions.

This is for anyone considering medicine as a future career. Unless you have rich parents paying for everything, please please go to a cheaper public university for your undergrad. You will realise how much money you could have saved by not going for the "prestige" that means absolutely jack **** for medical school application.