UAB School of Medicine acceptance emails

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JT1979

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed back on 11/11/04. Still no acceptance letter, waitlist, rejection or anything else. Hopefully we will hear something this week.

So this is the last chance week huh? If anyone hears from them please post the good news. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
rbfiji13 said:
I interviewed back on 11/11/04. Still no acceptance letter, waitlist, rejection or anything else. Hopefully we will hear something this week.
I know a girl who interviewed in Dec. and got accepted at the end of January. I think next round of acceptance emails goes out this week and next week. This is a lot of pressure :smuggrin:
I have been accepted to the Univ. of South already in Nov. I live in Birmngham and I would like to stay in Birmingham. :)

JT1979 said:
I know a girl who interviewed in Dec. and got accepted at the end of January. I think next round of acceptance emails goes out this week and next week. This is a lot of pressure :smuggrin:
I have been accepted to the Univ. of South already in Nov. I live in Birmngham and I would like to stay in Birmingham. :)
Just wondering what part of B'ham you're from? I'm from Springville (past Trussville) and feel the same way you do....I haven't been accepted to USA yet either though (interviewed in Dec. @ USA and Nov. @UAB)....Just waiting for any word at all so I feel you pain. Keep any news posted.

Just curious whether any out-of-staters got admits/interviews/or even a secondary.

Today I just got downright insulted from UAB. I applied in July and hadn't heard a peep until today....when they sent me a form encouraging me to apply to their undergraduate program. :mad: :laugh:

I guess I am obviously a failure in their eyes. :D :D :D

Did anyone get an acceptance e-mail from UAB today. I know someone that got one and was just wondering what that means for me............I hate this waiting....it's intolerable.

freaker said:
Just curious whether any out-of-staters got admits/interviews/or even a secondary.

Today I just got downright insulted from UAB. I applied in July and hadn't heard a peep until today....when they sent me a form encouraging me to apply to their undergraduate program. :mad: :laugh:

I guess I am obviously a failure in their eyes. :D :D :D
That's pretty tough treatment for out of state applicants. I know UAB only accepts like 10% of their class from out of state. Good luck in TN.
Birmingham is great place to live. You should consider doing undergraduate here at UAB :laugh:

rbfiji13 said:
Did anyone get an acceptance e-mail from UAB today. I know someone that got one and was just wondering what that means for me............I hate this waiting....it's intolerable.
So, far no love from UAB for me. We should all go to Volker Hall and find out ourselves. A bit quicker....... :laugh:

i sent my AMCAS to them in september, and I have yet to hear a word. i am obviously going to be rejected, but i dont really care. ive already gotten in somewhere that i would rather go.

even though I am out-of-state, I find it rude that they have not even acknowledged my application in any way. im from georgia..... jeez man.

rme04 said:
i sent my AMCAS to them in september, and I have yet to hear a word. i am obviously going to be rejected, but i dont really care. ive already gotten in somewhere that i would rather go.

even though I am out-of-state, I find it rude that they have not even acknowledged my application in any way. im from georgia..... jeez man.
It seems UAB has no love for out of staters. That is plain meanie :mad: .
I wonder what's going on with in staters.... :confused:

rbfiji13 said:

This doesn't sound very good for those of us still waiting. It seems like they usually send out all the emails on one day. Hopefully they are still going to send out one more batch before they make the waitlist. I agree that the waiting is terrible... I can't imagine being on the waitlist- the stess of waiting will be worse than now.

JT1979 said:

i interviewed in early december, and a girl who was in my interview group got accepted to UAB on Friday, March 4th. however, i am still waiting...hopefully we will all hear something positive soon..

Members don't see this ad :)
I am trying to avoid the waitlist. That would be more waiting and I can't take anymore waiting. I am kind of running out patience :smuggrin: . I have been accepted to the Univ. of South Alabama already. I want to know the decisions soon.....
This is the last time I am applying :laugh:

i just got my rejection email. This is my first correspondence with UAB in almost 7 months:
March 15, 2005

Members of the Committee on Admissions of the University of Alabama School of Medicine have carefully reviewed and evaluated your application. Unfortunately, based on that review, the Committee decided not to pursue your application further.

Committee members work diligently to select from qualified applicants those they believe will make the best physicians and meet the health care needs of the State of Alabama. This year our school received 1734 applications for 160 positions. Due to the significant number of applicants, many were not accepted because of the limited number of available positions.

Thank you for your interest in attending our medical school. On behalf of all Committee members, please accept our best wishes as you make plans to further your career goals.

Sincerely,

Nathan B. Smith, M.D.
Assistant Dean for Admissions

good luck to the rest of you. i hear its a great school.

I just called UAB and they said they have made their final decisions and will mail out rejection and waitlist letters in April.

Does anyone mind posting their stats? I am curious to know what people have that have acceptances to UAB and those that are accepted at South but waiting to hear from UAB. I got a 33 MCAT, 3.5 overall, 3.3 BCPM in Chem E. Still heard nothing from them and I'm guessing the BCPM is whats hurting my application. This is my second year applying and I thought I improved enough to get in. Kind of dissapointing.

tmarsh said:
Does anyone mind posting their stats? I am curious to know what people have that have acceptances to UAB and those that are accepted at South but waiting to hear from UAB. I got a 33 MCAT, 3.5 overall, 3.3 BCPM in Chem E. Still heard nothing from them and I'm guessing the BCPM is whats hurting my application. This is my second year applying and I thought I improved enough to get in. Kind of dissapointing.
I got 30Q MCAT and 3.85 GPA. I got into the Univ. of South Alabama in Nov.
I have been waiting for UAB since. I wonder what other people have that are still waiting..Post 'em please.... :D

Parmer said:
I just called UAB and they said they have made their final decisions and will mail out rejection and waitlist letters in April.

i emailed them and they said the same thing...

Are all of y'all in-state, and what college's do y'all attend? I'm just curious cuz I will be applying this summer and I just want to get a feel for how it's going for everybody.

I haven't heard anything as well, I have a 3.1 gpa, 34 MCAT. I haven't called or emailed them recently, I guess I'll just wait it out. If they have sent out all acceptances, then its time to cross the fingers and hopefully at least be on the waitlist!

Yeah, I'm pretty sure everyone concerned with UAB on here is in-state. I think the average MCAT there is a shade under 30. In-state applicants should be golden with a 30 and decent GPA but I guess thats not how it works. Just a little frustrated at this point. As far as the interview goes I think UAB's interview was the easiest of all the ones I had. Very low pressure and I felt like they just wanted to get to know me. I dont think the interview should save someone with a 25 MCAT unless the guy has ten publications and volunteered at an AIDS clinic in Africa.

Heh. Just got my rejection e-mail today (out-of-state).

I had a 3.72 overall GPA, a 3.5 BPCM GPA, and a 35 on the MCAT.

I would have strongly considered going to UAB if they had let me in. It's actually less expensive than going to Memphis.

I guess now I can strongly consider their offer to let me apply to their undergrad college... :idea: :cool:

Got in as an out-of -stater a few weeks ago. Had my interview beginning of February, and it went pretty well. The place is awesome. I was very surprised to find out I got an interview, then even more surprised to find out I got in considering my out-of-state status.

Stats are a 4.0, 32 MCAT. Glad I got in, still unsure about the Huntsville campus assignment I got. I hear it's great there, just like Birmingham is great. Best of luck to the rest of you.

gboug said:
Got in as an out-of -stater a few weeks ago. Had my interview beginning of February, and it went pretty well. The place is awesome. I was very surprised to find out I got an interview, then even more surprised to find out I got in considering my out-of-state status.

Stats are a 4.0, 32 MCAT. Glad I got in, still unsure about the Huntsville campus assignment I got. I hear it's great there, just like Birmingham is great. Best of luck to the rest of you.
Quick question, do you get to decide which campus you will be on, or do you rank them and they choose for you?

freaker said:
Heh. Just got my rejection e-mail today (out-of-state).

I had a 3.72 overall GPA, a 3.5 BPCM GPA, and a 35 on the MCAT.

I would have strongly considered going to UAB if they had let me in. It's actually less expensive than going to Memphis.

I guess now I can strongly consider their offer to let me apply to their undergrad college... :idea: :cool:

It's final. I got my rejection letter today from UAB. I was really shocked to hear from them. I guess I am going to the Univ. of South Alabama. I really wanted to stay in Birmingham. Well, sometimes your dream doesn't really come true..... :thumbdown:
It was email....

aumed22 said:
Quick question, do you get to decide which campus you will be on, or do you rank them and they choose for you?
I'm pretty sure you list the places (1.Birmingham, 2.Huntsville, 3.Tuscaloosa, 4.all of the above, or 5. two of the above) that you would prefer to go to. If, for some reason, the place(s) you chose is no longer available, the school will contact you if you are accepted and ask if you would reconsider and go to one of the other branches. I was told that the branch you choose doesn't affect your chances of getting in and that everyone usually gets either their first or second choice. Birmingham usually fills the fastest.

JT1979 said:
It's final. I got my rejection letter today from UAB. I was really shocked to hear from them. I guess I am going to the Univ. of South Alabama. I really wanted to stay in Birmingham. Well, sometimes your dream doesn't really come true..... :thumbdown:
Did they send it snail mail or e-mail?

I thought we wouldnt hear anything until the end of the month. Sorry to hear that JT. I may end up at South as well. Its not like South is a bad school I just want to stay in Bham if possible too. Has anyone else gotten news good or bad? I just checked my email and nothing is there. :confused:

We should take a poll to see how many times a day we all check our e-mail. Personally, I think I'm getting into the twenties...maybe even the thirties. Also, I've become so addicted to SDN that it's starting to affect my sleep patterns. No news yet...I'll keep checking.

I was an ED applicant and have been in since September....sometimes it doesn't make sense who they let in and who they reject. I do know one thing though, Auburn is sending a STRONG class to UAB. Very very strong.

hey to those who recieved rejections, where you in-state or out-of-state??

also, have they really made their final decisions??

does this mean if u have not been rejected that u are on the waitlist??

thanx

RNtoDO said:
hey to those who recieved rejections, where you in-state or out-of-state??

also, have they really made their final decisions??

does this mean if u have not been rejected that u are on the waitlist??

thanx

I am an in-state applicant and have not been rejected, accepted, or waitlisted. I called last week and if they have made out their wait list, they aren't notifying anyone yet. Good question though, I would like to see if any in state applicants have been rejected on SDN and what their stats are. I have come to the realization that Alabama is always the last state to do anything. They were the last to segregate schools and obviously they are the last to make decisions on med students. What a backwards state :laugh: !!!

Check your e-mail. I just got mine saying I was in the upper 1/3 of the alternate list. The e-mail said that this was a good place to be but the class is currently over-subscribed so acceptances from the alternate list may not be given out until late April early May. Not an acceptance but there is still hope I guess. Good luck everyone. :thumbup:

tmarsh said:
Check your e-mail. I just got mine saying I was in the upper 1/3 of the alternate list. The e-mail said that this was a good place to be but the class is currently over-subscribed so acceptances from the alternate list may not be given out until late April early May. Not an acceptance but there is still hope I guess. Good luck everyone. :thumbup:

congrats tmarsh! I got one too saying I'm in the top 1/3! I wonder how many are on the complete waitlist?

those who have recieved an email saying they are in the top third of the waiting list, are u an instate applicant????

I am in state and I think Parmer is too.

I emailed Dr. Nathan Smith, and he said I should consider UAB's residency program for post graduate medical education instead of applying again next year. If he hadn't said that to me, I might have applied again :laugh: .
Anyway, I am going to the South Alabama Medical School this Fall. Good luck to you all who are waitlisted. Keeping hanging in there. I know it is tough. But I wish I was in your shoes.
By the way, who is heading to South Alabama Med School??? :)

well i just got the email that said i am in the middle third of the waitlist, does anyone have a clue as to what that means?? how many are on the waitlist?
any info on odds of getting in off the wiatlist are welcomed.....

Does anyone know how they assign campus selections to people accepted off of the waitlist? Do you just get what ever campus was assigned to the person who withdrew?

Parmer said:
Does anyone know how they assign campus selections to people accepted off of the waitlist? Do you just get what ever campus was assigned to the person who withdrew?
That's right. You just get the campus that was assigned to the person who withdrew. Which may not be your choice of campus, but you would be happy to come off the waitlist... :)

RNtoDO said:
well i just got the email that said i am in the middle third of the waitlist, does anyone have a clue as to what that means?? how many are on the waitlist?
any info on odds of getting in off the wiatlist are welcomed.....
I got an email that said i'm in the middle third of the waitlist too. Does anyone know how big the waitlist is and what the chances of getting accepted from the middle are?

anyone, anyone......

bueller,,,,bueller....

so can anyone please give their insight as to how many are on the alternate list, i calculated the other night that they acceptabout 26 on average over the past 4-5 years of the laternate list, the only question now is how many are on the list.

RNtoDO said:
so can anyone please give their insight as to how many are on the alternate list, i calculated the other night that they acceptabout 26 on average over the past 4-5 years of the laternate list, the only question now is how many are on the list.

So what info did you calculate the 26 from? Also, you know how the emails we got said they are over subscribed already... I wonder how many over they are already? I'm pretty sure there's no way we can find out, but if anyone has the inside scoop please let us know. I looked at some statistics on the UAB website and it looks like last year around 50 people were accepted that didn't marticulate and since 2000 until last year it was aroung 70 (from what I remember). I really wish I could stop obsessing about this...

i got the average by looking at how many instate's they accepted and subtracted that from the # of actual instates that matriculated........so that avereaged to be around 26 for all the years they have posted.

i do wander since you mentioned they are overly subscribed that mean they are already into the actual waitlist or just say that and have not started on the alternate list........

more stuff to ponder i guess..... wish we could get some answers though

RNtoDO said:
i got the average by looking at how many instate's they accepted and subtracted that from the # of actual instates that matriculated........so that avereaged to be around 26 for all the years they have posted.

i do wander since you mentioned they are overly subscribed that mean they are already into the actual waitlist or just say that and have not started on the alternate list........

more stuff to ponder i guess..... wish we could get some answers though
I think the best way to calculate how many students UAB accepts off the waitlist is to subtract the total number of people accepted(in-state or out of state) from the number that matriculated (160). The waitlist is already established so I don't think that the state of residency of the applicant comes into play anymore. If you look at the numbers, last year UAB accepted 56 people off the waitlist. However, over the last four or five years the number was larger, around seventy people. The only real question is how many people are on the waitlist. If someone knew this then the people waitlisted (us) would know what our chances are of getting acceptance letters somewhere down the road. I wouldn't imagine that the waitlist would be any larger than sixty or seventy people, but that is just my theory.

well i dont know if anyone has read this from the current appliants page on the UAB website:

"At this time it is difficult to predict how far down our waitlist we will go in order to fill the class. Currently, over one-third of the individuals on our alternate list already hold an acceptance to another medical school."

This is no guarantee of anything but it does give some hope to those of us not on the top of the alternate list and is awesome for those on the top of the waiting list.

how do they know who has other acceptances?

I think after March 15 medical schools can see where applicants have been accepted. Most of the people accepted elsewhere on the alternate list are probably waiting to see if they get into UAB or they would have withdrawn their place on the alternate list. I agree that UAB probably takes 50 or so off the list to fill the class, so then the question is how big is the list? Surely someone has to know. :cool: