UAB vs Drexel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

researchnerd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I was recently accepted to UAB (epi) and Drexel (epi & biostat) but I am having a difficult time deciding which school to attend. I'm really interested in nutritional epidemiology and hope to do a PhD or DrPH after this MPH program. Also, while I enjoy the idea of a professorship I want more of a high-profile research/leadership/subject matter expert career. So with all of that said, I wonder what some of your thoughts are about which school to pick.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you in-state for UAB? If yes, then I would say to go there based off of finances alone as the two programs are relatively comparable. UAB has a lot of research resources because it's right in the medical center, which is not to say that Drexel doesn't have those opportunities. I just believe you have to be a little bit more proactive at Drexel to find research opportunities. It also depends where you want to live and possibly pursue your PhD in the future. If you're interested living in the southeast then UAB as it is well known in the south. If you desire to stay in the northeast then go to Drexel as it is well known in the north, especially in PA,NJ,NY.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would go with UAB for the opportunities + the less expensive tuition

Are you in-state for UAB? If yes, then I would say to go there based off of finances alone as the two programs are relatively comparable. UAB has a lot of research resources because it's right in the medical center, which is not to say that Drexel doesn't have those opportunities. I just believe you have to be a little bit more proactive at Drexel to find research opportunities. It also depends where you want to live and possibly pursue your PhD in the future. If you're interested living in the southeast then UAB as it is well known in the south. If you desire to stay in the northeast then go to Drexel as it is well known in the north, especially in PA,NJ,NY.
I'm from DC and I definitely plan to either stay in the DC area or move further north once finish my MPH.

I would go with UAB for the opportunities + the less expensive tuition
Drexel has great opportunities too! Most of the epi faculty come from Harvard or Columbia. You can do research with any dept in the University including Drexel Medical School and they have standing relationship with the major pharma companies and well-known foundations. Drawback is that it is way more expensive than UAB.

Have you gotten a chance to talk to alumni from both schools and ask their opinions? I think that might be really useful, especially since you plan on doing a PhD or DrPH afterwards. I applied & was accepted to both schools (Health Policy), and UAB ranked higher for me than Drexel when considering all factors of both schools. Also, even though the US rankings are subjective, this might come into play when competing for the few PhD spots.