Uams, usa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you choose?

• UAMS

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • USA

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teucer

I'll take an M-14 any day
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You decide!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Of course, I know less than nothing about UAMS, and love USA's department, not to mention the brand new building, low cost of living, etc., so I can't claim any impartiality at all. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to an assistant over at USA yesterday. They were very nice...lived in the Yester Oaks apartments---reminded me of the time I used to live there. I lived over @ the Winsor Place townhouse complex on Airport Boulevard. Those were the days...right between 2 WalMarts, a local shooting range just down the street, flea market 15 mins. down the road, right near a couple of military installations I worked at; 50+ degrees in the winter and 90 in the summer, rained almost everyday, but dried up just as soon as it came down.....goddamn I miss Alabama. If I could move to, go to school at, work and die in Mobile Alabama I'd be one happy individual. Go to the Dauphin Island, walk the beaches....even the air down in Mobile is clean; that was the first thing I noticed when I got down there. Ahhh.:hungover:

How weird is it that I get rejected from 12 schools but my first choice I get waitlisted at USA and get accepted at UAMS, my #1 and #2 school (respectively)? I still have yet to hear from Texas Tech but if I get the affirmative from them I'd have gotten the most consideration from my top three schools. I couldn't have planned it that way if I'd have tried!

Things that make even non-religious men "go 'hmmmmmmm....'".:)

Write each school name on the back of three separate sheets of paper. Have someone hang them up with the blank side facing you. Take your rifle and use your gut instinct to decide which piece of paper to shoot. After the shot, see which school you will end up attending. If you truly are intuitive, my money is on UAMS. :D

Looks like UAMS won out. I think I got a bad impression with their unwillingness to get me off the waitlist until they heard from ALL the applicants, their unwillingness to provide emprical data about the waitlist, inability to readily contact faculty and staff and the department secretary's crass and insulting way of speaking with students. When I asked USA's chair about how his department compared and contrasted, and generally set his program apart, from other programs of it's kind, he didn't really understand the question and didn't have very much to say when I clarified and provided examples.

This was a poor showing and big disappointment, as I had high expectations of University of South Alabama...it was my number one school. Instead, I chose my number three school, UAMS. I realized in short order what sort of program it was with the sort of organization and availability of informaiton on the school's website, the faculty and staff's readiness and willingness to speak with prospective students with courtesy and respect, the willingness of faculty and staff to provide definitive information regarding assistantships prior to matriculation, the list goes on. One down side to this is the increased expense compared to USA, but, for me, this is a small price to pay (no pun intended).

In all cases, I was very blessed to be offered admission to (and only to) my top three schools of the 15 total I applied to. Clotho, Lachesis and Atropos continue to spin, dispense and...ultimately, cut!