UC Berkeley Poli Sci grad needing application advice....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodperson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm 28 from Southern California with a BA in Political Science from UC Berkeley in 2013.

A couple of years ago, I went back to school to take all my science/math prereqs at community colleges. I have just completed my courses and have maintained straight A's but I took two W's in the process.

My current overall GPA from my entire college career is around 3.3 which also includes a year of college where I took quite a few F's and W's...

Math/Science GPA is a 4.0.

I volunteered as a Microbiology lab assistant at my community college last year and I was a member of Alpha Gamma Sigma Honors Society close to a decade ago in college but not much volunteering or extracurricular activities after that...

I've decided to take a year or two off to improve my application.

MAIN QUESTION: During my year or two off, what can I do to improve my application?

I plan on working as a pharm tech, calling up doctors to shadow, possibly tutor at one of the community colleges I've attended, but is this enough? Where can I go to find resources? Where do I look for research opportunities? Is research necessary to get into med school?

Is there any chance I can get into a med school in California? California Northstate, UC Riverside, Western (DO), Tuoro (DO)? Is it okay that I took all my math/science at community colleges?

Members don't see this ad.

No, research is not necessary to get in, but it doesn't harm you to have it. If you can't get any that's fine. You should instead focus more on clinical experience since many med schools have stated on record that they rank that way more highly than research. Shadowing is good but I think you should also try to volunteer on the floor of a hospital/clinic/etc and interact face to face with patients and other healthcare professionals. That shows you really know the environment you're getting into.

Don't go for Cal Northstate. A quick search around this website will show you numerous responses from more knowledgeable users that CNSU is not a place you want to be trying to get your medical degree. As far as I know taking your prereqs at a CC depends since it's not seen as rigorous as a 4-year, but what's done is done. DO schools seem to be for the most part fine with that, but some MD schools might be a bit hesitant.

But you can't get into a UC as a transfer student without fulfilling a full year in each of BCPM at a CC or other college. it seems like CC is the only choice.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, several UCs and Cal States have extension programs you can enroll in which offer the prereqs. You can also take classes a la carte without needing to be a matriculated student.

Reactions: 1 user