General UC Berkeley SPH getting a new building!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

werd814

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looks like we're finally getting our new building! To be completed sometime around Jan 2017. Current students received this email from the dean late last night:

Dear Members of the SPH Community,

I am very happy to share the exciting news that plans for a new building to house the School of Public Health are rapidly moving forward.

The Governor and the Legislature have approved $75 million to complement the $75 million of credit financing that the campus will assume. Together this will enable the construction of an academic building that will be home to (most of) the School of Public Health, the School of Education, and the Department of Psychology. The project is in an active planning phase, including the determination of the final scale of the building.Yesterday we agreed with our campus and architect colleagues that the new facility will encompass 320,000 gross square feet, but there are two more months in which to raise additional resources to expand that square footage.

Though I cannot give an exact date for the groundbreaking, we hope it will be as soon as possible -- around the start of the new year. Subject to revision, the new building could be completed by January 2017 (including two years of construction). The current conception for the building occupies the full city block bordered by Hearst, Shattuck, Berkeley Way and Walnut. It would include an atrium/forum that would be multi-purpose, serving as our "town square", as a place to eat and interact with colleagues and also a place to host events with participants on the main floor and on the balconies overlooking it (in the mold of the Kennedy School of Government). We will be sharing additional details as they become available.

A new building has been a long held wish among students, staff, faculty and alumni, and I want to thank everyone who has contributed to the effort to make this vision a reality.

Cathy Koshland has led the planning effort that has gotten us to this point. Although she transitioned to her new role yesterday, she will continue to participate in the planning meetings to ensure continuity.

Many thanks

Stef
--
Stefano M Bertozzi MD, PhDDean and Professor of Health Policy & Management

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I could even see some cross hybridization between the Education and Psychology departments with regards to public health issues. Don't know much about Berkley besides the fact that they are highly rated and especially strong with infectious disease related work.

Too bad I'll already be graduated before it's completed!