UC Irvine vs Georgetown (WL) vs. Einstein (WL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDtobein'27

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Wanted to make a decision now so that if waitlist acceptances come, i'll be able to respond to them promptly. A little about me: i'm not sure what specialty i'd like to pursue yet, but I am interested in academic medicine and in pursuing my residency in CA, but would definitely be open to a residency in another part of the U.S. if it means having a better opportunity to pursue academia.

UC Irvine
Pros:
  • Cheapest tuition due to my CA residency status
  • Only ~1 hour away from family
  • It's a UC so likely would help me the most in matching back to another CA school for residency?
  • Can't beat the weather in SoCal
Cons:
  • H/P/F during 2nd year (Not sure how much this will matter for residency though?)
  • standard 2 year-preclinical curriculum
  • The medical center is ~20 minutes away from campus. Would be annoying to have to drive each time (especially with the traffic in SoCal) for things like shadowing and research
  • The campus is not very attractive and lots of construction going on at the moment
Georgetown
Pros:
  • True unranked P/F during all 4 years
  • Best name recognition for residency PDs?
  • 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
  • Health Justice Scholar track - aligns with my interest in health policy
  • Beautiful campus with hospital attached to it
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Cost
  • Distance from family
  • Doesn't seem as if research is as big of an emphasis here as it is with the other 2 schools
Einstein
Pros:
  • P/F pre-clinical
  • 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum
  • Campus is attached to a huge hospital network with access to a highly diverse and underserved patient population, heard that clinical training here is outstanding
  • Best interview day experience by far and also have close friends here who love the school environment
  • Highest USNWR ranking (#39) = more opportunities for research than the other 2 schools and better pathway to academic medicine career?
  • Cheap student housing that is right on campus
Cons:
  • Weather
  • Cost
  • Distance from family
In summary, I am leaning towards UC Irvine because of in-state tuition and proximity to family, but am hesitant to give up my spot on the Einstein and Georgetown waitlists because I would seriously consider these schools given their specific features that I loved and their good reputations, though I know that UCI has a great reputation in CA which is where I most likely would like to pursue residency and work as an attending physician. Thank you everyone for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

What do you mean give up the spots? You can stay on them and see if you can get off the WL. Is this Einstein's HPWL or regular WL? Because the HPWL gets a lot of the WL movement. The regular WL not much at all.

What do you mean give up the spots? You can stay on them and see if you can get off the WL. Is this Einstein's HPWL or regular WL? Because the HPWL gets a lot of the WL movement. The regular WL not much at all.
Give up the spots meaning just commit to UC Irvine now and don't hold out for an accept at these schools. But yes I agree it's wiser to just stay on and see if I can get off.

I had no idea Einstein has 2 different waitlists. When I got the decision from them, it said that i've been placed on "Einstein's Admissions waiting list." So i assume this means i'm on the regular WL.

Members don't see this ad :)
UC Irvine is a solid medical school. If you plan to practice on the west coast, I think it's a good choice for you. The in-state tuition is great and having family nearby can be a plus (though expectations for you to participate in family events may have to be managed!). I'd probably choose UCI over both of your other WL schools.

Reactions: 1 user
UCI, I don't think you want to move across the country to a more expensive school in the cold, especially if you are interested in being in CA for residency.

Reactions: 1 users
def irvine if you're tryna match in ca!

UCI, I don't think you want to move across the country to a more expensive school in the cold, especially if you are interested in being in CA for residency.
This is a great point, thank you. Do you think that if during med school I was to become interested in an academic residency program outside of CA, that attending UCI would put me at a disadvantage as compared to Georgetown or Albert Einstein?

This is a great point, thank you. Do you think that if during med school I was to become interested in an academic residency program outside of CA, that attending UCI would put me at a disadvantage as compared to Georgetown or Albert Einstein?
You would be fine.

UC Irvine is fine institution for an education and the opportunities/circumstances there for you! Props to you for a great cycle!

UC Irvine is a solid medical school. If you plan to practice on the west coast, I think it's a good choice for you. The in-state tuition is great and having family nearby can be a plus (though expectations for you to participate in family events may have to be managed!). I'd probably choose UCI over both of your other WL schools.
Thanks for your insight. I was actually unsure whether or not being able to participate in family events would be a pro/con of UC Irvine being only an hour away from home (I imagine there'd be times where I'd have to choose between school activities and family activities, but at Einstein or Georgetown there would be no 'pressure' to attend family events as id be living across the country).

Reactions: 1 users