UC San Diego only "recommends" all of the generic BCPM requirements!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I recommend you use critical thinking skills to think about the odds of getting in / doing well on the MCAT without said requirements, or how 70% of the entering class of 2015 were Bio/Chem majors.

Reactions: 1 users
I recommend you use critical thinking skills to think about the odds of getting in / doing well on the MCAT without said requirements.

Yeah the odds aren't good, but it's certainly possible to nail a 37+/520+ on the MCAT without taking any prereqs (or being 10+ years off from taking them).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the odds aren't good, but it's certainly possible to nail a 37+/520+ on the MCAT without taking any prereqs (or being 10+ years off from taking them).

Sure, but it is also possible that I win the lottery and can drop out of medical school, but planning life off of long shots is a good way to get nowhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I recommend you use critical thinking skills to think about the odds of getting in / doing well on the MCAT without said requirements, or how 70% of the entering class of 2015 were Bio/Chem majors.
It's highly unlikely.
Knowing how rigorous it is to get into any of UC Med School (well, in fact, all of the med schools across the country), all of the courses are a "requirement."
:smack:

What do you think you needs to take to

A) do well on MCAT
B) convince Adcoms that you can handle difficult coursework
C) show that you are qualified in the other competencies that are required for med school and beyond?

??????????
A) Do well in Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Math courses along with Psychology and Sociology
B) Have a stellar cumulative and science GPA. Fight through rigorous courses!
C) Do well overall: MCAT, major course work, GE course work, BCPM coursework, and service to others

Hence, you must complete them!!

It means they don't automatically disqualify you if you don't have those courses; most med schools are like this these days

however, it's like getting into a top ugrad college like Harvard - Harvard doesn't "require" Honors and AP classes, but you still pretty much need them to practically have a chance of acceptance....

Reactions: 1 users
however, it's like getting into a top ugrad college like Harvard - Harvard doesn't "require" Honors and AP classes, but you still pretty much need them to practically have a chance of acceptance....

Hence, all of the said recommendations are a requirement!
It's a trap! They fooled me!

Many schools have abandoned the usual class requirements:

Wake Forest
Vanderbilt
USC Keck
Stanford
Rush Medical College
Southern Illinois
Tulane
Albert Einstein
Hofstra
NYU
University of Cincinnati
Drexel
University of Pennsylvania
Sydney Kimmel
University of South Carolina (Charleston)
University of Virginia
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
Duke
East Tennessee State
U of Chicago
U Conn
UCSD
GW

Reactions: 5 users
Hey here's an idea. Move to Texas, declare residency, apply to med schools in Texas. All public med schools are required to fill their classes with 90% of Texas residents. Just an idea, or apply to UCSD. La Jolla is beautiful btw.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey here's an idea. Move to Texas, declare residency, apply to med schools in Texas. All public med schools are required to fill their classes with 90% of Texas residents. Just an idea, or apply to UCSD. La Jolla is beautiful btw.
Woah woah.. hold on now!
It's not happening yet ;D

Considering ucsd has a special summer course for people behind in the core science subjects, it's important and you need to do them at some point. So just do them before the MCAT and make your life easier :p

And yes La Jolla is amazing :) still can't believe I'm here

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Usually these schools will probably think you are applying many other schools that have strict pre-req requirements. Would love to get some love from UCSD!