UCI Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HI everyone, i guess i'm a little new to the board considering i was accepted just last week. can anyone give me some information on housing? I was all prepared to go somewhere else and then this acceptance magically dropped into my lap so i haven't really made any plans. Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

just another little promo for the uci yahoo group. lemme know if any of you are having trouble finding the group of getting added. :) congrats to all the new acceptees!! i cant wait to meet everyone!

Hey all,

Just found this thread and thought I'd say hi. I'm joining the class this coming year as well and wanted to meet some people before I head down there. I just got back from the area today and signed a lease for an apartment. WOOHOO!! a little expensive but still nice so if you could add me to the yahoo groups, i'd love it.

email address is [email protected]

is there any other info you need to add me to the group?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey laulena,
that should be all i need. please let me know if you dont get the invite soon. i just sent it. congrats! :)
hotchicalica

laulena said:
Hey all,

Just found this thread and thought I'd say hi. I'm joining the class this coming year as well and wanted to meet some people before I head down there. I just got back from the area today and signed a lease for an apartment. WOOHOO!! a little expensive but still nice so if you could add me to the yahoo groups, i'd love it.

email address is [email protected]

is there any other info you need to add me to the group?

Last edited:
synapse said:
i can't believe we have summer reading :(
I keep hearing from med students that the first 2 years (at a lot of schools) are like an intense high school experience--at least in terms of social life. Perhaps this is our first taste of medical high school, hehe. Don't worry, I heard from someone who's read it that it's pretty interesting. :)

traveladdict said:
I keep hearing from med students that the first 2 years (at a lot of schools) are like an intense high school experience--at least in terms of social life. Perhaps this is our first taste of medical high school, hehe. Don't worry, I heard from someone who's read it that it's pretty interesting. :)

It is an interesting book. The author digresses a bit, but in all I liked it. I sat down for a few hours one day and read the whole thing at once.

I housed a Hmong applicant this year. It was awesome to hear his stories first-hand after reading the book.

Does anyone need housing? I just rented a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom place in Woodbridge Meadows (about 5 miles from campus) and the roommate I was planning on having just fell through. Rent for you would be $730 and utilities on top of that. I think I'd prefer to live with another girl, a non-smoker and sorry, no drugs in the apartment and no pets either (i'm allergic to cats and they don't allow dogs). Let me know if you're interested.

email: [email protected]

Last edited:
hey synapse,
im totally up for it! ill actually be in the area this weekend. just let me know.

synapse said:
anyone wanna get together sometime before school starts maybe for dinner somewhere in irvine? :D

Hi, I just got in last week to UCI, and looking for a place to stay. I put my name at vista del campo, and verano place seems like they have a long waitlist till november. Any medical 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years need a roomate? Also, how many of ya'll got to live on campus?

and oh yea, MS1 is gonna beat MS2's in the olympics hahaha!!!!

hotchicalica said:
hey synapse,
im totally up for it! ill actually be in the area this weekend. just let me know.

Last edited:
I'd be down for a pre-orientation dinner in late July or early August (or whenever anybody is free). On another note, has anyone received invitations to the white coat ceremony. How many people can we bring?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just accepted off the waitlist for Irvine!!!!! Can't wait! Spent all weekend trying to decide between Chicago (Loyola) and UCI. Irvine it is!!!! Can't wait to meet everyone. Anyone looking for a roommate!!!

David

Hi guys! I just got off the UCI waitlist! I'm soo excited and can't wait to meet all of you in August. :D

hotchicalica, can you add me to the yahoo group? My email address is [email protected]

Thx! If any of you guys want to get together before school starts, let me know. I'm from the area.

-Van

I'm so glad I can finally post on this thread.
I too got in off the waitlist this afternoon.
Does anyone know where to search for housing?
Is on-campus housing full? Why doesn't the website load (www.housing.uci.edu)?
Does anyone have any news on the situation at Vista Del Campo? Any open spaces?
Look forward to meeting everyone!

tic112 said:
I'm so glad I can finally post on this thread.
I too got in off the waitlist this afternoon.
Does anyone know where to search for housing?
Is on-campus housing full? Why doesn't the website load (www.housing.uci.edu)?
Does anyone have any news on the situation at Vista Del Campo? Any open spaces?
Look forward to meeting everyone!

Congrats to everyone who's recently been accepted!! I can't wait to meet people in August!

As far as housing goes, definitely call the places you're interested in. As of a few weeks ago, both Palo Verde and Vista Del Campo still had rooms/apartments available (however, you might be out of luck if you want a studio). I'm moving some of my stuff into VDC this weekend--apparently the housing office is open 24/7. Good luck!

If anyone needs a roommate or apartment, PM me!

Im moving into vista del campo next week, and i think there are still spaces available. I am coming from the bay area and have been trying to get my place set from here which has been difficult since my leases were lost in the mail! The office is open 24/7, but Tracy, who is the lease manager is only there Mon-Fri. Good luck to all and see you soon.

By the way, who is planning on the San Diego retreat/conference?

Heh, finally decided it was time to join the Allo boards... Just dropping in to say hi, see ya all in about a week, I guess! :)

Where ya'll living at? I'm living at Palo Verde!!! any verano peeps or vista peeps or wat not?

checkin in from up here on the hill at vista! pretty nice here, but just feel like im on the fringe you know? :cool: :cool:

I'm in palo verde too. Seems nice, but I'm not with med students. (that might be nice too, who knows!) Anybody going to dinner or anything before orientation?

Last edited:
oo, oo! I want to go too! However, I'm not getting down to Irvine until Thursday afternoon--making the final/permanent move into VDC. Would Thurs, Fri, or Sat evening work for anyone? My vote = the sooner the better. There's also an awesome gas grill right outside my apartment in vista if people are up for a bbq. I haven't personally used it but my housemate and her b/f cooked an amazing steak the other weekend when I was there. :)

traveladdict said:
oo, oo! I want to go too! However, I'm not getting down to Irvine until Thursday afternoon--making the final/permanent move into VDC. Would Thurs, Fri, or Sat evening work for anyone? My vote = the sooner the better. There's also an awesome gas grill right outside my apartment in vista if people are up for a bbq. I haven't personally used it but my housemate and her b/f cooked an amazing steak the other weekend when I was there. :)
I guess it depends on how many people come, but I would be up for a bbq at vista del campo on fri, or sat. I have to go to an ice cream social on thur night.

from a current third year busy saving lives in the hospital (ahhm... right :rolleyes: ) just want to take a sec and welcome you guys to UCI. Enjoy the honeymoon... and now back to saving lives!!!

OP

im definitely up for a bbq too! :) anyone want to set a day, place and time? maybe... saturday or sunday? afternoon?? :p

microman said:
I guess it depends on how many people come, but I would be up for a bbq at vista del campo on fri, or sat. I have to go to an ice cream social on thur night.

Thursday night would be good. Im heading to vegas over the weekend. Hey I figure Ive gotta push my luch BEFORE classes start right?

If anyone is interested in going out tonight or doing a barbeque Thurs night, send me a message. I also put a post to the same effect on the Yahoo group.

Dave :D

Last edited:
Ok, shall we attempt a bbq Friday evening at VDC? Apparently we're not allowed to use it after 10pm (ssshhhh, it's grad-student quiet time after 10, ha). We can meet at the VDC graduate street entrance at 7pm (first left when you get to VDC). I'm willing to stand on the corner (on Arroyo) so people don't get lost. Otherwise, my room number is 40223 (no stalkers, please). Once we meet up we can go get food at the store and then hungrily shove other grad students away from the grill! or politely ask them if we can share (but where's the fun in that?). Let me know what you guys think!

I'm also up for grabbing a beer/food at Steelhead tomorrow night. Dave, did you have a particular time in mind?

must not waste precious free time before orientation on Monday!

Anyone who is up for Steelhead tonight, we can meet at 7pm either at Steelhead or on campus, say VDC?

thanks jenn for organizing this! in terms of the bbq, on the yahoo group i believe that a couple of us have said that were going to meet up on friday. so, if anyone else is interested, please feel free to come! :)

traveladdict said:
Ok, shall we attempt a bbq Friday evening at VDC? Apparently we're not allowed to use it after 10pm (ssshhhh, it's grad-student quiet time after 10, ha). We can meet at the VDC graduate street entrance at 7pm (first left when you get to VDC). I'm willing to stand on the corner (on Arroyo) so people don't get lost. Otherwise, my room number is 40223 (no stalkers, please). Once we meet up we can go get food at the store and then hungrily shove other grad students away from the grill! or politely ask them if we can share (but where's the fun in that?). Let me know what you guys think!

I'm also up for grabbing a beer/food at Steelhead tomorrow night. Dave, did you have a particular time in mind?

must not waste precious free time before orientation on Monday!

alrighty... so our bbq yesterday kind of... failed. BUT we're gonna
try again today (saturday)! :) same deal, BBQ at VDC at 7pm. please
leave a post of give either jen or i a call if you think ure going to
be able to make it so we can have an idea who to expect. our phone numbers are on the yahoo group.

vickie

hey,
does anyone who lives in the newport area want to set up a carpool? :oops:) if so, lemme know!
vickie

At least we get to celebrate afterwards with the white coat ceremony! Sleep tight.