UCI pre-med course requirements question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yummygummie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any recent UCI pre-med students had problems meeting the pre-req requirements for medical schools?

As an undergrad I took what most other bio majors took:
Chem 1A, 1B, 1C, 1LB, 1LC
Chem 51A, 51B, 51C, 51LA, 51LB
Physics 3B, 3C, 3LB, 3LC

I'm worried because the pre-reqs for some schools (like Mayo) state one year of inorganic chemistry (w/ 1 year of lab), one year of organic chemistry (w/ 1 year of lab) and one year of physics (w/ 1 year of lab).

However, when I was an undergrad at UCI only 2 quarters of general chemistry lab classes were offered--similarly for physics. For organic chemistry, a third lab class was offered but most bio majors didn't take it unless they were pre-pharm since the third lab wasn't necessary for the degree. Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

In my experience med schools are pretty accommodating to UCI, but you have to take it on a case-by-case basis. No I don't remember which schools specifically.

you're fine. the sequence they have in place is commensurate to the entire series necessary in fulfilling the 1 yr/2 semester/3 quarter requirement. Just look at units.

And no; the 1 year requirement is not absolute. That's the timetable the series should entail, but this will of course vary depending on how the institution is structured.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if any recent UCI pre-med students had problems meeting the pre-req requirements for medical schools?

As an undergrad I took what most other bio majors took:
Chem 1A, 1B, 1C, 1LB, 1LC
Chem 51A, 51B, 51C, 51LA, 51LB
Physics 3B, 3C, 3LB, 3LC

I'm worried because the pre-reqs for some schools (like Mayo) state one year of inorganic chemistry (w/ 1 year of lab), one year of organic chemistry (w/ 1 year of lab) and one year of physics (w/ 1 year of lab).

However, when I was an undergrad at UCI only 2 quarters of general chemistry lab classes were offered--similarly for physics. For organic chemistry, a third lab class was offered but most bio majors didn't take it unless they were pre-pharm since the third lab wasn't necessary for the degree. Any help would be great.

I took what you took and did not have a problem(and even was accepted to Mayo).

Thanks for everybody's responses!

Confirmed what everyone here so kindly said with the counselor. If anyone is in the same boat...two quarters of organic chemistry lab at UCI is equivalent to one year's course load.