UCLA Extension Introductory Science Certificate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avaAdore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I found a few related threads on UCLA extension's Introductory Science Certificate Program, but just wanted to post this one to see if we have any up-to-date information.

Do any of you have experience with this program? Based off of the website, it seems that there is no application process... just pay and enroll. Do these certificate requirement courses go through actual UCLA classes, where I have to bite my nails off from the stress of maybe not getting enrolled? They all seem to be night classes, so I was wondering if these were extension-only classes with plenty of room for us certificate-seeking students.

I am looking to retake a physics and throw anatomy and physio in there, along with some upper division molecular biology and biochem courses (of which I have not taken during undergrad, thank goodness) as an informal post-bacc to enhance my undergrad gpa.

Any thoughts and words of wisdom for this program would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the website link if any of you are interested as well.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/ProgramDetails.aspx?reg=CF075

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I found a few related threads on UCLA extension's Introductory Science Certificate Program, but just wanted to post this one to see if we have any up-to-date information.

Do any of you have experience with this program? Based off of the website, it seems that there is no application process... just pay and enroll. Do these certificate requirement courses go through actual UCLA classes, where I have to bite my nails off from the stress of maybe not getting enrolled? They all seem to be night classes, so I was wondering if these were extension-only classes with plenty of room for us certificate-seeking students.

I am looking to retake a physics and throw anatomy and physio in there, along with some upper division molecular biology and biochem courses (of which I have not taken during undergrad, thank goodness) as an informal post-bacc to enhance my undergrad gpa.

Any thoughts and words of wisdom for this program would be greatly appreciated.

Here's the website link if any of you are interested as well.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/ProgramDetails.aspx?reg=CF075

I'm not enrolled in the certificate program, but I have taken several classes from it.
The courses are "equivalent" to UCLA in terms of material. They use same/similar syllabus from the undergrad. The classes usually have plenty of seats, unless its combined with Lab. Then its going to be first come serve. As long as you have the money to pay for the classes, you can enroll anytime as soon as enrollment for the term opens. Overall I can tell it's a "bit" easier, since a lot of the students are adults doing career change.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for the info... I'm excited to get started in Winter quarter. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experiences with particular professors?

Thanks again. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the info... I'm excited to get started in Winter quarter. :)

If you don't mind me asking, how was your experiences with particular professors?

Thanks again. :thumbup:

I took 3 science classes at extension, and it was definitely a mixed bag. All the professors were really cool and nice. In terms of difficulty, however, there was a huge disparity. For immunology we had a guy with a masters degree, and his class was an absolute cakewalk (he basically gives you the answers to the test a few days before the test... literally). It was Jack Haas - I highly recommend you try and take his classes (physiology and immunology IIRC) for easy GPA fluff.

For neuro, we had an MD/PhD professor and his class I thought was actually pretty tough. It was a very informative class though, and I enjoyed it, Dr. Schweitzer is a great professor. Only take it if you're willing to put in some effort.

I took 3 science classes at extension, and it was definitely a mixed bag. All the professors were really cool and nice. In terms of difficulty, however, there was a huge disparity. For immunology we had a guy with a masters degree, and his class was an absolute cakewalk (he basically gives you the answers to the test a few days before the test... literally). It was Jack Haas - I highly recommend you try and take his classes (physiology and immunology IIRC) for easy GPA fluff.

For neuro, we had an MD/PhD professor and his class I thought was actually pretty tough. It was a very informative class though, and I enjoyed it, Dr. Schweitzer is a great professor. Only take it if you're willing to put in some effort.
Couldnt have said any better. I took Jack Haas for physiology, yeah the class is very easy but I did learn some foundation of physiology.He is easy in terms of test but He only tries to give you the foundation of physiology, not little details that you won't need to know until you are in med school. I'm currently taking Schweitzer for pathophysiology and neurophysiology and I can see these are classes that you have to put some effort.
I had LS3 (Molecular Bio Low Divsion) and MCDB100 (Upper Div Cell Bio) with Michael Strathearn. He is very knowledgeable, he is not hard at all but the class material is. He sort of pushes you to study for his midterms and finals and tries to make you start thinking as a scientist. For LS3 we had to design experiments that showed what the problem asks for. I learned a lot from him and when I study for DAT, I have good foundation of molecular and cell biology thanks to him.
I also took Chem 153B ( DNA->RNA-> Protein) and LS4 (Low div Genetics) but the professors I had before no longer teach.

soooo thankful for all of your help!
Dancin' Sara, I looked into Jack Haas and his physiology class, I'm interested in taking anatomy and physiology, but found the class he is teaching is annotated as "X" as opposed to "XL". since i'm working towards a certificate for means of finanical aid, I'm wondering if it makes a huge difference. I would love to take his class.

LaughingGas, I'm looking to take Chem153B in the winter quarter. I graduated undergrad at UCLA with MCDB as my major so hopefully I"ll have a decent foundation... I'm looking for a second class to take with 153B so I could qualify for financial aid as more than a half time student... I hope MCDB 100 won't be too hard?
Have you guys taken physics through extension?

Thanks again and again and again! :thumbup:

Have any of you guys taken Biochem 153C with Paul Tarr at UCLA Extension? What is it like?

Last edited:
Hi there, totally out of date now. I was wondering if you still can give me info about immunology? I want to take the test, do you still have his questions doc for the exams he gives

I went onto the website, but it is a bit unclear. Does UCLA ext offer Gen Chem and Gen Bio needed for prereqs? Is it done via quarter system? How do you know if you are taking the proper classes? Is the administration helpful?

Last edited:
Gen Chem + O Chem series are Chem 14 series.
Gen Bio is LS 1 ~4 including LS23L for lab.
They are in quarter.
I am not sure if the administration is helpful. I never had to use it.

Reactions: 1 user
Gen Chem + O Chem series are Chem 14 series.
Gen Bio is LS 1 ~4 including LS23L for lab.
They are in quarter.
I am not sure if the administration is helpful. I never had to use it.

Thanks for clearing that up, it makes sense now. That means physics is done via series 6A-6C. There seems to be no mention of a lab, but I assume that it is included?

Are there similar programs like this in California? Where you can just pay and enroll for science courses? I am not enrolled in a formal post-bacc and I'm having trouble finding open courses at my local CSU

I just applied to the ex. certificate in pre-medical/gen science studies. I don't know if this is the same program. What's the admissions process? How long do I wait before I hear back? Do I need to send my transcripts? There was nothing about transcripts that i could find and the application took 3 seconds to complete.