UCLA Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
BP definitely over Jules Stein. Both have a work hard mentality and have great volume. Both are great programs. Downside ofJules Stein-- lots of driving all over to hospital locations, and then having to return in the evening for lectures in crazy LA traffic.

wtf is up with this "inside scoop" from JSEI? It's nauseatingly pretentious.

"Be Proud - You are one of the Elite
You're interviewing at one of the top residency programs in ophthalmology. And I'm sure you have other interviews at other top programs....Therefore, you must be in the top 5% of applicants already. You are one of the elite applicants."

Strengths:
"4. JSEI is financially strong. Look at these marble buildings!"

Weaknesses:
"6. If you're lazy and not a team player, then you will not like it here."

Etc.

Feels like cognitive dissonance or most excellent Kool-Aid. What sort of impression are they trying to make on us, exactly?

Members don't see this ad :)
All great programs. Personally, I would definitely put UCLA and Michigan above UPenn. I think UCLA and Michigan both have much higher clinical volumes than UPenn and during residency, it's a time to get a very strong clinical training. Research will come later on in academics or fellowship-- and Scheie is awesome for research, but I just didn't get the impression that they were quite as strong clinically. As to how to rank UCLA vs. Michigan, that's up to geographical preference and style of learning and happiness of residents- so a tougher more personal decision will determine which one you rank higher out of those 2.

Not sure if this goes here but we'll give it a try:

For those who have had the UCLA interview can you tell me who are the interviewers? and why is there two sessions of interviews? how intense was it?

Thnx.

I interviewed at JSEI/UCLA in 2006

Pros: Residents rotate through 2 VAs and 2 county hospitals along with JSEI. There is a very intense lecture schedule, which happens after-hours when clinics are done. My impression was that the residents worked very hard and enjoyed every second of it because they got a lot out of it. One 2nd year resident said she already felt comfortable to start practicing comprehensive! Surgical numbers were very high and the variety of clinical pathology in the county hospitals seemed second to none. Research was top notch. Residents get the fellowships they want. 4 weeks vacation, lots of benefits (something about PDAs or laptops), LA is awesome.

Cons: None of these 4 hospitals are anywhere near each other. You have to drive through LA traffic to get around, making everyday really long. Between the busy clinics, busy call-schedule, after-hours lectures, and LA traffic, there's probably not much time to enjoy LA. JSEI faculty and attendings certainly seemed proud of themselves to say the least.

Last edited:
I did an away elective at UCLA, and it was a great experience. The attendings are great, and the residents seemed to be very happy. Very strong clinical program, the second year residents are able to handle anything thrown their way. Lots of research potential. I can definitely see why UCLA is one of the top programs in the nation.

pros
name
large volume
diverse experience (county, private, VA)
research

cons
lots of driving
2 dropouts class of 2005?

misc
aggressive recruiting
very detailed formula encompassing every detail from college to medical
school used to formulate school's rank list
interviewers were well prepared
extra resident position starting this year

Interview Experience:
-Dinner preceding night with residents, most showed up
-Long day: tour then lunch with chair
-PM interviews 7 one-on-one
-Grand Rounds
-Evening cocktail reception with faculty and residents
-Very aggressive recruiting, as stated previously faculty are well-read on all the applicants

Pros:

-Excellent fellowship match (e.g. class of 2009 retina Wills, retina JSEI, retina JSEI, retina Tufts, glaucoma Wills, plastics UTSW) due to reputation and connections
-Volume is awesome with 2 VAs, 2 County Hospitals, and the UCLA hospital
-Residents get full platter of surgical experience
-Very diverse pathology
-Lots of autonomy with residents running the show for the most part
-Large class (8 residents)
-Research is top-notch
-Residents seemed relaxed and content for the most part
-JSEI is absolutely gorgeous and right on the UCLA campus, which is nice as well
-Westwood is very nice and LA is a very diverse place with something to offer for everyone

Cons:

-Residents did not seem as tight-knit between classes as some other places
-Evening lectures may not be everyone's ideal way to end the day
-There is a good amount of driving in LA traffic. However, most of the residents agreed that this was not as big a problem as they expected coming in to the program. It is almost never mandatory to drive from Harbor to Olive View, for example.
-A fairly formal hierarchy in place here that stems from the rich tradition of JSEI
-Residents are exceptionally busy in clinic, one resident commented on getting out of clinic at 7:30-8pm
-Dropouts in 2005 and 'malignant' reputation (see below)

Overview:

Regarding the malignant reputation that was discussed in other threads, the faculty, residents, and coordinator all made a point to address this during the day. Of the two dropouts in 2005 one switched fields and the other moved away geographically. As for the idea that JSEI is malignant it seems to stem from how hard the residents are working during residency. In the past JSEI did not emphasize how hard the residency can be and people came in and were disappointed. Now they are very open about the difficulty of the residency and cautioned applicants on ranking them highly if they were not prepared for the workload.

JSEI is clearly a top-five program nationally. Residents seem to be off-site at Harbor County much of the time and away from much of the faculty. On the other hand, their residents seemed very confident and prepared to handle almost anything. Having worked with a fellow who did his residency there I can personally vouch (anecdotally) for how well-trained a JSEI graduate will be.

Residents seemed happy overall, although many commented that 1st year is brutal, as it is at many of the top places. This is a work hard, play hard environment. If one wanted to comprehensive I think it would be overkill to go here although they do set their graduates up well in the Southern California job market.

My only real qualm with the program was the evening didactic schedule. Otherwise, this is as good a program as any nationally, although I could see a person not looking for this workload being unhappy there.

Hospital overview
Olive View: county hospital with well-run Eye Clinic, residents autonomous with excellent attending support, primary patient language is Spanish, crazy pathology
Harbor: county hospital with poorly-run Eye Clinic that is undergoing leadership change, residents autonomous with improving attending support, primary patient language is Spanish, even crazier and more end-stage pathology
Ronald Reagan: private UCLA hospital in which first year resident runs inpatient service and consults
VA: mostly West LA VA, but also some clinic time at Sepulveda VA as a third year resident, residents autonomous with excellent attending support, run-of-the mill stuff (cataracts, ARMD, glaucoma)
JSEI: private clinics, every patient seen by the attending

Rotation schedule

6-8 week blocks
First year: Olive View x 2, Harbor x 2, JSEI Subspecialty (Neuro-ophth/Peds/Plastics), Ronald Reagan Consults, Pathology, VA
Second year: Olive View x 1, Harbor x 2, JSEI Glaucoma, JSEI Urgent Care Walk-in Clinic, VA x 2, JSEI/Harbor Pediatrics
Third year: Olive View x 2, Harbor, JSEI Cornea, JSEI Plastics/Retina, VA (west LA), VA (Sepulveda), JSEI Retina

Call structure (home call)
Olive View: three first- and second-year residents share primary call; third year residents are back-ups; NOT a trauma center, so fewer calls
Harbor: two first-year residents share Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun primary call; two second-year residents share the remaining days; third year residents take weekend back-up call for first-years; ED physicians are good at screening
VA: two second-year residents share primary call; attendings are back-ups; hardly ever get called in
Ronald Reagan: four first-year residents share primary call; three second-year residents take back-up call; ED physicians are not good at screening, and there are a lot of unnecessary overnight consults (the hardest part of first year)

Difficulty
first year >> third year > second year
By the end of first year, most residents are comfortable handling any emergency that does not require laser therapy or surgery.
By the middle of second year, residents are adept at lasers.
By the end of third year, residents are comfortable with cataract surgery and have had exposure to a wide variety of specialty surgeries.
Generally speaking, by the end of every academic year, second- and third-year residents do not get called as back-ups except for open globes, since any emergency is usually surgical, and the first-year resident will call the appropriate fellow directly.

Didactics
all residents: every Wednesday afternoon for one hour before Grand Rounds
first years: additional two hours every Wednesday evening after Grand Rounds, also microsurgery course every Monday evening

Conferences
weekly FA conference
weekly Grand Rounds (residents present 3x/year)
quarterly Plastics conference (for those on rotation at JSEI/VA)
quarterly Neuro-ophth conference (for those on rotation at JSEI/VA)
quarterly Pediatrics conference (for those on rotation at a county hospital or on Peds rotation)
weekly Glaucoma conference (for those on rotation at JSEI)
cataract conference every other month (for second- and third-year residents)
random other Journal Clubs

Clinic hours (averages below, may vary)
Olive View: 8a-6:30p
Harbor: 8a-7:30p
VA: 8a-6p

OR experience
First year residents assist with emergent surgeries at the county hospitals (usually buckles, vitrectomies, Ahmeds, some plastics).
Second year residents are responsible for open globes at Ronald Reagan (assisted by a fellow). They usually also get one case per week at Olive View/Harbor/VA.
Third year residents spend all their time doing surgery and scheduling patients for surgery. They are responsible for open globes at the county hospitals.

Clinic procedures
Second years are responsible for all lasers and get more than enough experience with PRP, FML, PI, SLT, Yag cap. They also do more than enough intravitreal injections.

Driving
Max of 35 minutes commute to any hospital if living in West LA/Culver City/Westwood area. Generally speaking, only ever on primary call for one hospital at a time.

Overall
A great and diverse learning experience with a wide range of pathology.
Residents enjoy the benefits of shadowing and "hand-holding" at JSEI and that of (nearly) complete autonomy at the county hospitals.

Just a Quick note- for those that are interested in the EyeSTAR program- make a point to contact the director (Dr. Joseph Demers) directly. He or his secretary can provide more information. Its a great program for those who have a PHD and want to do some post-doc work or those who want a phd and guaranteed residency from a top place. Its a big decision and not everyone is interested in it. But worth a look.

Hadn't heard of the EyeSTAR program before - interesting!

For the postdoc option, I'm not quite sure I understand the benefit. From what I've seen, junior faculty on a K01 essentially function as postdocs, but with the added (financial) benefit of a doing so after completing clinical training. Is it for those who wouldn't be competitive for faculty jobs at the conclusion of residency/fellowship otherwise? Would be curious to hear any informed perspectives.

It's protected research time for post doc during residency - paid salary. Perfect to generate data for a K award and hit the ground running right out of residency. A lot of departments want you to have a K ASAP when you join their faculty.

I suppose the more relevant comparison might be an offer with a a year or two on a departmental K12 to get to the K01 application? What do you think about that path vs. this mechanism of getting research time?

I suppose the more relevant comparison might be an offer with a a year or two on a departmental K12 to get to the K01 application? What do you think about that path vs. this mechanism of getting research time?
K12 is great since you get paid full faculty salary instead of postdoc peanuts, but only a few programs have them and chairmen use them to recruit people with pretty good research background already. Also you don't get a PhD. Also a k08 is what clinicians need not a k01.

Anyone got any update on this program? Has there been any significant changes?