UCLA Oral Boards Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brendav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking to register for this UCLA oral boards course but can't seem to find any real reviews about it.

Did anyone register for this course last year? Was it worth it?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
highly recommend Osler - sign up for the public mocks, super helpful.

giving this a bump, hoping to elicit some feedback from those who have attended the UCLA course in previous years.

worthwhile?

I have attended for the past 2 yrs. The course is well-liked as an opportunity to check learning/knowledge a few months before boards, and provide some practice in the exam format, and get feedback. Environment is very collegial and only stressful enough to make it a good practical exam environment. Sunday provides a crash course on high yield must-knows for the most common disease presentations. Faculty represent the best from all over southern California, with largest presence from UCLA and UCSD. Administrative staff at UCLA are highly competent and organized. Hope that helps!

giving this a bump, hoping to elicit some feedback from those who have attended the UCLA course in previous years.

worthwhile?
Dr. Allen Chen was the course organizer in the past and it was getting good reviews at the time. I'm fairly certain he won't be doing it next year, not sure how that will affect the course.

Good point. Allen Chen started this course, but UCLA is committed to continuing in his absence. Percy Lee has taken over as course director - he is a great teacher (ran the lung section past 2 years) and has built a stronger partnership with UCSD for this coming year which should ensure high quality disease site leaders and examiners. The administrative staff at UCLA is the same so has continuity in that regard and I'm sure will be as organized as in past years. Hope that helps.

Osler Oral Boards is the best, IMHO

Reactions: 1 user
Will actual board examiners be leading this? While it would be great experience - it's a small world and don't really want to give them a bad impression before being fully prepared ...

No, ABR examiners are not permitted to participate in oral reviews of any kind