UCLA vs. Emory....help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocHop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between UCLA and Emory for an MPH. Here's my dilemma: I really would rather go to Emory, but I would have to take out $60,000 in loans (and I already have $10,000 from undergrad) plus it's expensive to move across the country - I currently live in LA. UCLA would be only about $20,000 in loans. I want to go to med school after this degree, which I know will be a lot more debt.
But the program at Emory is much better suited for my interests and personally I would be much happier there. I'm just not sure whether I should suck it up for the two years and stay at UCLA or if I should go the the school I prefer and have all that debt. Any suggestions?? Is it crazy to enter med school already $70,000 in debt??

Members don't see this ad.

go with what is best for you in the long run. Yes, 70,000 is alot to have before starting medschool, but you are gonna be a physician so dont be so worried about loans, you will pay them as every other Dr. out there. So go with your heart and pick the best program for you. Worry about money when you have a job, which is gonna be a good one.