UCLA vs. UCI vs. UCSD for Pre-med Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrDesire93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a transfer Chemistry major student who got into UCLA, UCSD and UCI. I talked to couple counselors/peers yet still I do not have a strong or specific reason to go to one school than others. I visited the campus but one day is not enough for me to know much about the schools.

UCLA:
- Great reputation + many opportunities.
- GPA killer? Super rigorous and competitive?
- Difficult to make connection with the professor + not much advising
- I did lean towards LA at first then I talked to some students and all of them suggest that I would go to different school to maintain high GPA for med school (one even told me that 3.4 at UCLA is extremely hard)

UCSD:
- Perfect location and weather
- High reputation yet less competitive than LA?
- Students and staff are friendly (at least those I interacted on campus tour and counseling)
- I don't have a chance to know about the academic environment at SD so anyone, please gives me insight

UCI:
- Close to home + safe city
- Growing reputation
- I can still get some classes at my CC when I go there (and even help from my former professors)

Since I want to pursue med school, I am willing to study my hardest to survive. My goal is to keep my GPA to at least get into the school (not being auto-screen out). Will being smart factor out the success in UCs? What is the appropriate study habit in those sciences classes? My CC study habit can be considered as hard-working (I keep practicing the problems until I got it).
My thoughts are all over the places right now so any insights/suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone who is deciding on the schools are also welcomed.

Members don't see this ad.

All 3 are great schools and while UCSD and UCLA may have a little more "wow" factor than UCI, the perceived difference between the 3 schools to the adcom will be negligible as long as you do well. I thought it mattered when I was you and I realize now how wrong I was...but that's honestly not even an issue here as we're talking about 3 of the best public schools in the country.

Undergrad is easy compared to medical school, so if you're cut out for medical school then you should have little problem getting well above a 3.4 GPA at any 3 of these schools with a great work ethic and above average intelligence. I can't stress this enough, being diligent and having a great work ethic is far more valuable to success in medical school than being super intelligent. There just isn't enough time to cram the massive amount of info that will be thrown at you AND have you retain that info for use later on.

Now I went to UCI and it got me in to medical school but it's a commuter school and doesn't give you a college experience. At the end of 4 years I felt like I honestly paid for the privilege to take tests on campus and have them certify that I was good enough for medical school.

I'd recommend UCLA for the simple fact that of the 3 it provides the most complete college experience (with UCSD a close 2nd). It also sits in an area that will provide you with the most opportunity to enhance you're profile for medical school (the other 2 do this as well but they just can't match the opportunities that LA can provide). The problem is that you can easily get distracted by all the extracurriculars UCLA and LA itself can provide.

Also don't ever take another class at a CC...while medical school adcom's will care little about the difference between these 3 they will certainly look at you sideways if you sub in a challenging courses from a CC or god forbid didn't get an A.

I honestly can't believe how much I've typed here but you seem sincere and in look of guidance so it just sort of flowed out. Here are a few quick answers to other questions you asked: UCSD has a reputation as a study school (great science and engineering programs) and the student body can be a bit serious (this is what I've heard from multiple UCSD grads of all personality types), All 3 of these schools will have science courses with huge class sizes so it is difficult to make connections with professors (advice: at the start of a course just stop by office hours so they get used to your face), science studying in undergrad is mainly information repetition (but actually learning and understanding chemistry and physics will do you wonders on the MCAT), UCLA is no more a GPA killer than the other 2 because science courses tend to remove subjectivity and are about knowledge application and academic advising is pretty useless (at least it was at UCI) and I've found google to be far more valuable.

Finally try to be a normal functioning human being while you are in undergrad (self-aware, independent and well-adjusted). Medical school classes are SMALL and people who are anal retentive, can't deal with stress or bad news and can't learn to relax make everyone else miserable and drive themselves crazy. Oh and taking year off before you go to medical school will do wonders for you're maturity no matter how mature you think you are.

I am going to stop cause this is too much typing and kind of ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 users
The Chemistry major at UCLA is harder than the other two, FYI. You'll notice that coursework isn't "blended" into broad areas, there. For instance, UCLA offers Physical Chemistry in Thermodynamics, Kinetics, and Quantum; UCI probably offers hybrid classes with lower math prerequisites. I haven't researched UCI's Chemistry program much, but I have researched UCD's, where I'm currently a masters student. Anyhow, I've started doing some digging and come to find out there are big differences between the undergraduate chemistry programs at UCD vs UCLA. Research this beforehand. Look into the math prerequisites, too.

I went to UCLA, and started out as a Chemistry major, switched to Biochemistry, and was accepted to UCSD's graduate Chemistry program for an MS. I didn't run away from the Chemistry major at UCLA, either. The problem was that I left nursing school (part of the way through), returned to community college, and transferred to UCLA without any physics or biology (and 2 Calculus courses). Staying with Chemistry would have put me there for over 3 years, and I wanted to do a graduate degree.

Anyhow, you should look into the elective choices you'll have as a chemistry major at UCLA vs the other schools. If you haven't considered a biochemistry major change at UCLA, you might consider it. The electives you can take as a biochemistry major are a lot better than the chem major, and the coursework is more applicable to medical school. I've been able to use my biochemistry background 10x as much as my chemistry background in pharmacology/toxicology and in my research on cardiac electrophysiology. All I'm saying is that transition metals, graphene, and complex thermodynamics are great... but when you're trying to understand medically-related material, it's pretty useless.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say UCSD or UCLA. Because it's San Diego and Los Angeles. Why would anyone want to live in the suburban hell of Irvine?

@a13bfiend: Thank you a lot for your time and effort to have such a great comment. I am completely new with all of this admission procedure so I was so frustrated with my decision. Those advices really boost up my confidence in the field. With the extracurriculum, I do have something in mind and maybe I only focus on those. "Try to be a normal functioning human being while in undergrad" is exactly what I want in the next 2-3 years

"UCLA is no more a GPA killer than the other 2 because science courses tend to remove subjectivity and are about knowledge application"
-> With this, do you have any suggestions on the study habits since I know application problems would become very tricky? The best way to approach the problems is to know everything and make a critical connections?

"Taking year off before you go to medical school will do wonders for you're maturity no matter how mature you think you are."
-> I would love to enhance my maturity but I am afraid that I would forget most of the knowledge required. And if I am correct, I must have very good explaination/activities to have a gap in between in the application. Moreover, since most of the class for the MCAT and med schools would be expire in 5 years so I think a break would not be best for me (I took my fist GChem class in 2012). But since you're in med school so you know much more about the procedure than I do so please correct me if anything is wrong here.

Again, thank you a lot and a lot for your comment.

@MDforMee: Thank you for the insight for UCLA. I really want to ask someone from UCLA but unfortunately I have no one to ask.
"Anyhow, I've started doing some digging and come to find out there are big differences between the undergraduate chemistry programs at UCD vs UCLA. Research this beforehand. Look into the math prerequisites, too."
-> I did some research on the school (mostly on their website and other students forum. The Math and Physics requirements at UCLA is the hardest (next up is UCSD) based on their curriculum. Is there any aspect of the research that I could do like average grades/performances,....?
"If you haven't considered a biochemistry major change at UCLA, you might consider it. The electives you can take as a biochemistry major are a lot better than the chem major, and the coursework is more applicable to medical school. All I'm saying is that transition metals, graphene, and complex thermodynamics are great... but when you're trying to understand medically-related material, it's pretty useless."
-> This thought came to me last night as I post my question and read the course list at UCLA. However, when I look at the course list though, isn't it BioChem would have more requirements than the normal Chemistry. Is it possible for me to switch major though (maybe now or even after my first quarter) because I think Biochemistry would be an impacted major? How easy is it to switch major? And can you share with me your study habit at UCLA? I would need to improve a lot on that.

I wish I have other ways to say thank you but you pointed out important points that I need to consider.

Last edited:
I'd say UCSD or UCLA. Because it's San Diego and Los Angeles. Why would anyone want to live in the suburban hell of Irvine?
:happy: The location is quite important right? I am currently studying in Irvine and it is OK, and it can even out with SD and LA at some point. But I really want to experience the college life as I always wanted to, that's why LA and SD wins by a slight margin.

Thin, hot, bookish Chinese, Persian, Viet, Korean female premeds?

Edit. I suppose you can get that in LA and SD too. What do I know.

Thin, hot, bookish Chinese, Persian, Viet, Korean female premeds?

Edit. I suppose you can get that in LA and SD too. What do I know.

lol, you can just take turns heading through Little Saigon, Koreatown, Chinatown, and Little Persia (UCLA would be perfect for this).

Biochem/chem at UCSD isn't that hard, and you could always switch to the easier biochem on the biology side (biochem/bio).

UCSD offer plenty of research opportunities and the faculty here are very friendly. THere's a big push for getting undergrads into research now. There are also a lot of programs that specifically promote faculty and student interaction, i.e. "Dine with a prof" program that lets you and a professor of your choice have dinner on the house.

Last edited:
@MDforMee: Thank you for the insight for UCLA. I really want to ask someone from UCLA but unfortunately I have no one to ask.
"Anyhow, I've started doing some digging and come to find out there are big differences between the undergraduate chemistry programs at UCD vs UCLA. Research this beforehand. Look into the math prerequisites, too."
-> I did some research on the school (mostly on their website and other students forum. The Math and Physics requirements at UCLA is the hardest (next up is UCSD) based on their curriculum. Is there any aspect of the research that I could do like average grades/performances,....?
"If you haven't considered a biochemistry major change at UCLA, you might consider it. The electives you can take as a biochemistry major are a lot better than the chem major, and the coursework is more applicable to medical school. All I'm saying is that transition metals, graphene, and complex thermodynamics are great... but when you're trying to understand medically-related material, it's pretty useless."
-> This thought came to me last night as I post my question and read the course list at UCLA. However, when I look at the course list though, isn't it BioChem would have more requirements than the normal Chemistry. Is it possible for me to switch major though (maybe now or even after my first quarter) because I think Biochemistry would be an impacted major? How easy is it to switch major? And can you share with me your study habit at UCLA? I would need to improve a lot on that.

I wish I have other ways to say thank you but you pointed out important points that I need to consider.

PM me if you decide to attend UCLA. I know 3 Chem graduate students I can direct you to, there, that were also community college transfers. I also know the chemistry administration pretty well.

If you're questioning your study habits, well, I'll just say that you shouldn't be questioning them at all. You need to be consistently studying for 4 hours a day, if not more.

If you are smart, then ucla. It's really hard (<----teehee!) If not, check out others.

If you are smart, then ucla. It's really hard (<----teehee!) If not, check out others.

That "SMART" thingy really stress me out. How smart does it take to be successful or even have a decent grade at UCLA?

Members don't see this ad :)
That "SMART" thingy really stress me out. How smart does it take to be successful or even have a decent grade at UCLA?

Les be surrious, if u were smart, you'd be going to an Ivy League. Ooooh too harsh?

You shouldn't go to a UC if you're afraid of hard work. You will find tough competition no matter which school you pick. UC's, however, do offer a lot of opportunities to succeed, so if you're driven enough, then have your pick. All three are fine schools that will prepare you well enough for medical school if you push yourself enough.

You shouldn't go to a UC if you're afraid of hard work. You will find tough competition no matter which school you pick. UC's, however, do offer a lot of opportunities to succeed, so if you're driven enough, then have your pick. All three are fine schools that will prepare you well enough for medical school if you push yourself enough.
Per caffeine, it is peasant work compared to ivy leagues.

I went to undergrad at UCSD as biochem major and now masters there.

Biochem/chem at UCSD isn't that hard, and you could always switch to the easier biochem on the biology side (biochem/bio).

UCSD offer plenty of research opportunities and the faculty here are very friendly. THere's a big push for getting undergrads into research now. There are also a lot of programs that specifically promote faculty and student interaction, i.e. "Dine with a prof" program that lets you and a professor of your choice have dinner on the house.

I read about the "Dine with Professor" and I really like the ideas. I also toured the campus and most of the people are extremely nice and helpful.
Urrrgggg, I am having a toast brain right now.

I understand that I am talking about 3 of the best UCs in the system and I am willing to strive for it. I am just worried (or paranoid) because I heard 2 or more ppl said: "Hard working is not enough, being smart is the key."
Thank you so much for the fact and the advice. I'll keep those in mind :D

I read about the "Dine with Professor" and I really like the ideas. I also toured the campus and most of the people are extremely nice and helpful.
Urrrgggg, I am having a toast brain right now.

I actually dined with a prof last week. Great program.

Per caffeine, it is peasant work compared to ivy
leagues.

Depends on the class. My Organic Chemistry class for example, is very comparable to an Ivy League science class with a modest amount of grade inflation.

Depends on the class. My Organic Chemistry class for example, is very comparable to an Ivy League science class with a modest amount of grade inflation.

haha are you talking about ternasky's classes

haha are you talking about ternasky's classes

No, but that's another pretty tough class. My friend in that class used Ivy League Organic Chemistry practice exams in order to prepare for that class LOL.

who'd you have for ochem then? i don't know any other prof thats harder than him, even honors werent hard.

OR are you talking about the chem150s series?

Last edited:
I'll message you.

Last edited:
hahaha seems like he stepped up his mechanism games. At least you don't really have to study for the exams if you understand how to do mechanisms

Last edited: