UConn (OOS) vs Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KashKy

Reaction score
School 1: UConn (OOS)
Pros:
  • True P/F
  • Integrated Med Curriculum
  • Theoretically less competition from classmates for OS interviews
Cons:
  • Location (Farmington sucks)
  • Team-Based Learning
  • Most lectures are mandatory
School 2: Columbia

Pros:
  • Best OS numbers in the country
  • NYC
    • (Literally everyone I know is moving there)
    • In general a better location
  • Same P/F
  • Same Integrated Med Curriculum
Cons:
  • Money (This is the big one)
    • No other cons but money is huge
From what I've gathered, it seems a lot of people go to Columbia because UConn is impossible to get into OOS, so I consider myself VERY lucky to even have this decision to make. Heavily leaning toward UConn, since as of now I don't think the extra money is worth it. Of course, I want to grab as many opinions as possible before I make my decision. Thanks in advance. If possible, I'd love to hear from students from both schools about their experience, as well as from anyone else who made this decision.

Members don't see this ad.

School 1: UConn (OOS)
Pros:
  • True P/F
  • Integrated Med Curriculum
  • Theoretically less competition from classmates for OS interviews
Cons:
  • Location (Farmington sucks)
  • Team-Based Learning
  • Most lectures are mandatory
School 2: Columbia

Pros:
  • Best OS numbers in the country
  • NYC
    • (Literally everyone I know is moving there)
    • In general a better location
  • Same P/F
  • Same Integrated Med Curriculum
Cons:
  • Money (This is the big one)
    • No other cons but money is huge
From what I've gathered, it seems a lot of people go to Columbia because UConn is impossible to get into OOS, so I consider myself VERY lucky to even have this decision to make. Heavily leaning toward UConn, since as of now I don't think the extra money is worth it. Of course, I want to grab as many opinions as possible before I make my decision. Thanks in advance. If possible, I'd love to hear from students from both schools about their experience, as well as from anyone else who made this decision.
cheaper

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can specialize from anywhere, and these are both great schools with lots of ppl specializing. Don't see why you'd pay an arm and leg for Columbia when UConn is just as great.

what's the cost difference between UCONN and Columbia? I'm committed to Columbia because I had no drastically different options in terms of price point (no public schools accepted me sadly). I don't know what the experience will be like yet, but I assume that it won't be drastically different in terms of your experience at UCONN since you guys also have the incorporated medical school curriculum, albeit I have no clue if its the same duration of time spent in the med school's program.

IMHO, team based learning sucks.

Reactions: 1 user