UC's vs. Top 10 Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GulabJamooMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you guys think UCLA and UCSD compare against the top 10 private schools in the country (according to US News Research)?

They are public schools, so is the quality of the facilities or education worse than at Hopkins, Yale, Duke, etc.? I know that student life is probably a lot sweeter in California, but what are your thoughts? If you had the choice between a UC and a top non-CA private school, what would you choose? Thanks.

PS- I'm interested in this because I have interviews at Harvard, Yale, UPenn, and Michigan, but was just accepted to UCSD. I'm from Southern California, so staying close to home would be a HUGE benefit of a california school. So, I'm thinking of saving my money and withdrawing from these schools. But I feel HORRIBLE cancelling interviews at these top schools, especially Harvard!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never been all goo goo gaa gaa about ivy leagues, and the UC's are all pretty top notch schools, especially UCSD. The best part is that you get in state tuition. For me the choice would be easy.

Members don't see this ad :)
First, big CONGRATS on the UCSD acceptance and all those great interviews! This is such a personal preference. I believe UCSD and UCLA can "hold their own" with any of the "top ten" schools. If you plan on practicing in Cali after your residency, you would probably do just as well to stay close to home. I believe UCLA and UCSD are really part of the "top ten" because the top ten is really a "top fifteen or twenty".

But, you may want to still interview. You may receive substantial scholarship offers that could sway your decision. If you don't mind the cold or would like to have more autonomy from your family (or just a new adventure), moving back east may be a good idea. Also, look at the curriculum at those schools. UCSD is lecture intensive, whereas Yale is almost a "teach yourself" type of atmosphere without any formal grades. Do you have the self-discipline to be successful in that type of environment, or does some healthy competition motivate you?

If you've come this far and have the money, I would advise you to go to the interviews. If for no other reason, you will always wonder if you should have gone. By going, you can form your own opinions...after all, you may really dislike the east coast after visiting in winter!!! We're pretty spoiled here in Cali.

The east coast is a different world. Ivy league schools have a whole different vibe from So. Cali. I've never been there, but I have an older doctor friend from the Bronx who described his interview at an Ivy and his realization that he just wouldn't "fit in." They're outstanding, don't get me wrong. But it's a different style of relating than most Californians are used to.

Good luck in your pursuits. Whatever decision you make, don't second guess yourself. You will receive a great education at any of the schools!
If you decide on UCSD, maybe I'll see you there next year! Congrats!:hardy:

How do you guys think UCLA and UCSD compare against the top 10 private schools in the country (according to US News Research)?

They are public schools, so is the quality of the facilities or education worse than at Hopkins, Yale, Duke, etc.? I know that student life is probably a lot sweeter in California, but what are your thoughts? If you had the choice between a UC and a top non-CA private school, what would you choose? Thanks.

PS- I'm interested in this because I have interviews at Harvard, Yale, UPenn, and Michigan, but was just accepted to UCSD. I'm from Southern California, so staying close to home would be a HUGE benefit of a california school. So, I'm thinking of saving my money and withdrawing from these schools. But I feel HORRIBLE cancelling interviews at these top schools, especially Harvard!

Harvard and especially Yale have really good base loan packages (and good overall financial aid) so you could potentially save money if you went there. Student quality of life is definitely a big factor to consider too. UCSD would be fantastic. I went to Yale and really liked it (weather would be tough though, as I'm from California too). Yale's curriculum would leave you with a lot more free time for other exploration. Money permitting, you MIGHT want to check out Harvard...though everyone who I've talked to has told me how unhappy they were to be a student there, essentially putting in the four years for the Harvard degree. I'd be willing to check it out and make my own opinion- but if that is indeed the case then UCSD, Yale, or practically any other school where you could actually be happy would be a much better choice. Nice set of interviews and good luck!

I don't get to hear back from UCSD for another few weeks, though my east coast interviews are already taken care of for now.

Money permitting, you MIGHT want to check out Harvard...though everyone who I've talked to has told me how unhappy they were to be a student there, essentially putting in the four years for the Harvard degree

I don't know who in the world you've talked to but that is neither my experience nor the experience of most any other classmate I've talked to. Form your own opinions. Come visit and see for yourself before you write off the school based on rumor or speculation.

I don't know who in the world you've talked to but that is neither my experience nor the experience of most any other classmate I've talked to. Form your own opinions. Come visit and see for yourself before you write off the school based on rumor or speculation.

Indeed. People will always have different opinions, and for something as important as med school you should definitely keep an open mind, check it out and form your own. Sorry if I suggested otherwise.

And again, look at the overal debt numbers for some of these schools. The top private schools actually seem to do a bit better for the most part (and the UC schools are raising tuition for the next several years, 7%?). Harvard, Yale etc could be much better options when you compare everything come March-May, and you'll never know for sure unless you interview!

I've never been all goo goo gaa gaa about ivy leagues, and the UC's are all pretty top notch schools, especially UCSD. The best part is that you get in state tuition. For me the choice would be easy.

^^^ agree 100% with post above...

save money, close to home, amazing education and residencies later. I agree to go to Harvard med would be nothing short of spectacular...but to pay more money (unless as said it was made cheaper or about the same price through grants and stuff) and move to a more boring area (assumption on my part but im from Los Angeles and go to school in San Diego...im not exactly from boring areas) to get the harvard degree wouldnt be worth it for me...unless i really fell in love with the atmosphere and school...if you did, and it just feels right, do it. otherwise, choice is extremely easy :thumbup:

I go to UCSD. I don't know enough about the other schools to make a detailed comparision, but if I were to do it again the only schools I would choose to attend over UCSD would be

Stanford
UCSF
Harvard
Maybe UCLA, maybe not.

In that order.

I guess everyone has their own reasons for picking one school over another, at the end of the day they are all great schools and each one of them will give you a great education. However, personally, if I turned down Harvard for any other school I would always find myself in the situation were I would be telling people "well I got into Harvard, but etc etc etc," if I ended up going to Harvard however, I don't think I would ever really find myself in the situation where I would say the same about other schools that I turned down for Harvard. I guess I would always wonder "what if" and possibly even regret turning down a Harvard or Yale etc. That's just me, but then again - I tend to place a lot of emphasis on school rankings, what can I say.

Anyways, at the very least, interview at the schools and see if you get accepted or not. If you don't then you can move on and never have to regret, or wonder what if, about anything. If you do, then you would have a chance to see what the schools are like, in addition you can find out the specifics on financial aid packages etc. You can then make a more informed decision on whether or not its a fit for you or not.

I hope I wasn't the only one confused by Zippership and jrdoctorinsd having the same avatar. When I was reading the latter's post, I was thinking... wait a second... I thought he said he was at harvard...

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope I wasn't the only one confused by Zippership and jrdoctorinsd having the same avatar. When I was reading the latter's post, I was thinking... wait a second... I thought he said he was at harvard...

I would paste all my funny, custom avatars... but I'm too greedy. Don't steal my captain hook, either

^^^ agree 100% with post above...

save money, close to home, amazing education and residencies later. I agree to go to Harvard med would be nothing short of spectacular...but to pay more money (unless as said it was made cheaper or about the same price through grants and stuff) and move to a more boring area (assumption on my part but im from Los Angeles and go to school in San Diego...im not exactly from boring areas) to get the harvard degree wouldnt be worth it for me...unless i really fell in love with the atmosphere and school...if you did, and it just feels right, do it. otherwise, choice is extremely easy :thumbup:

A poor assumption. Have you ever heard someone call boston boring?

Agreed. I haven't heard anyone call Boston boring before, but I've heard plenty of folks use that to describe San Diego. And I'm pro-California, btw...

OP- See what the aid packages look like. If you like UCSD (and it's a great school), I wouldn't head east for one of the ivies unless it was priced in the same ballpark. Staying in California and being close to family has some upside. So does Harvard, but not for an exta $100K.

It is an assumption and no I havent been to Boston but I have two friends from Boston here that could not wait to leave Boston and say that there is so much more to do down here, its more fun, pretty, better weather, fast culture, etc.

Michigan and Penn both offer 1/2 and full tuition scholarships based on merit, and harvard/yale have excellent need-based based scholarships. Harvard also has loan cancellation/repayment opps for those going into public service. Many find their overall debt to be less than if they were at a public school.

Having lived in New Haven and Boston, they're not Cali. If you need warm weather and a beach, you should stay put. But they're both really fun cities (I know, people who have never lived in New Haven bash it all the time) with large young populations and many things to do in your free time. It doesn't hurt to interview.

I like gulabjamon...although I wish I could just dip that sweet bread ball into that sweet stuff instead of it being soaked in it.

Gulabjamon are my favorite!

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I've decided to interview at Harvard and withdraw from the others. Harvard is the only school that has the potential to steal me away from California (mostly b/c of the name, which I KNOW is not the right reason to attend). I'm currently attending a private school outside of California, but I still have in-state residency, and I'm dying to go back!

As far as financial aid goes, I doubt I'll qualify for any need-based aid/loans, but I do hope to get some type of merit scholarship.

Why are so many people on SDN afraid to cut the umbilical cord, and move away from family, friends, and the familiar. I did it and I am having a great experience. I certainly have a great relationship with my family, but there is value in creating a new life in unfamiliar surroundings. It is good for personal growth in my opinion. Oh, and the sun is way overrated. Give me the four seasons, rather than summer and sort of summer.

Someone just said Boston was boring in comparison to LA JOLLA? SERIOUSLY?

As far as UCs vs "top ten" schools, residencies have a pretty serious regional focus, so if you want to stay in CA, then UCSD would likely be a better choice. As far as the quality of education, I doubt you're going to find significant differences. As far as the prestige factor of residency matching goes, it will likely be outweighted by the regional bias, if you're talking about CA residencies. If your ultimate goal is to match into the top program in a competitive residency regardless of geographic location, you may be better off at HMS, Hopkins, UCSF, etc... but the differences are so small I wouldn't be worried...

Considering that 3 out of the 5 UCs are in the top 15, this is kind of a silly discussion. I'd say choosing between those 3 and one of the ivies would really come down to location, curriculum and financial aid package.

Considering that 3 out of the 5 UCs are in the top 15, this is kind of a silly discussion. I'd say choosing between those 3 and one of the ivies would really come down to location, curriculum and financial aid package.

Totally agree

Why is everyone on SDN so preoccupied with rank? You're going to get a great education anywhere - go to a place that you feel is right and that suits your academic and personal wants and needs well. If that place is Harvard, then great. If that place is UCSD, also great. You want to be happy in the next four years so choose a medical school where you feel that you belong.

Out of those schools you mentioned I'd only leave California for Harvard. I know many of my classmates who turned done yale, upenn, Mich to stay in L.A.

Why are so many people on SDN afraid to cut the umbilical cord, and move away from family, friends, and the familiar. I did it and I am having a great experience. I certainly have a great relationship with my family, but there is value in creating a new life in unfamiliar surroundings. It is good for personal growth in my opinion. Oh, and the sun is way overrated. Give me the four seasons, rather than summer and sort of summer.

i agree with you searun, i feel that the most important thing is for people to not be afraid to move to a new place and meet new people. dont let fear be the guiding factor in choosing where to interview or attend etc. but the OP said he/she really wanted to go back to california after being away and i think that is a legitimate feeling to help guide where to choose to go.

being a californian myself who moved out east for undergrad, i didnt really get a good vibe when i went to UCSD. the campus and students were great, but the attitudes and laid back personality didnt seem to fit my own. that being said, save the decision of where to go until after you have been accepted somewhere. go to the interviews out east if you can afford to (maybe you can get them scheduled around the same time to save money and time). if anything, you will return confidant that california is where you want to stay. seeing a school and deciding its not right for you is just as valuable as seeing one and feeling you fit right in! :)