UCSD(Human bio) vs. UCLA (Physci) CC transfer for pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Where should I go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amber0509

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got accepted by UCSD (Human Biology), UCLA (Physiological Science), and Berkeley (Molecular cell biology). also Davis but I don't think I will be going to Davis because it is so far away and not much better than the other three.

So now, I am torn between the three schools cause from what I heard, all three of them are great majors to prepare you for medical school. My first thought was to go to UCLA, then I saw a forum that people were all talking about how Physci in UCLA is like a gunner city, and its a GPA killer. I got scared and thought what would it help me to get prep for med school but has a GPA too low to even get into one?

Now I don't know which one I am leaning towards to anymore. Is Human Bio in UCSD also a GPA killer? I would like to know what you would pick for yourself and why. Other inputs are also appreciated too :)

PS. Turns out that I got into Berkeley too.... What would you pick if you were me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not venture outside of clear pre-med majors? I found that classes with more pre-meds were the worst for peoples' GPA (aside from engineering classes :barf:) since everyone cared about grades so much. Even if GPA was the same, the bio/neuro/chem majors were working harder for their As. Can you transfer into something a little different, or are these majors set in stone?

They are pretty much set. That is actually what I want to learn, and Im already accepted to both.
Im a community college transfer, so I think changing my major will just cost more time and effort. thanks for the input tho

Members don't see this ad :)
Fair enough, you know what you want, and I gotta respect that. Do what you're most interested in, it will help you more than doing an easier program. If you want to learn physiological science, go to UCLA and learn physiological science. My guess is the difference between the two is minimal in the long run. I've always felt that there are students who are going to get an A regardless of the circumstances. Being one of those students is much easier when you're interested in the material.

I was a Human Biology major from UCSD. I don't know anything about UCLA's physio major, but I can shed some light on what UCSD has to offer. The major is relatively straight-forward. Because you are a transfer, I'm assuming you already have general physics, bio, and chem out of the way - OCHEM too? Even better, as OCHEM at UCSD is an UD series. If this is the case, you basically have 1.5-2 years of UD bio classes/electives to go depending on how you stack your schedule. Being a transfer is an immense blessing as you are not required to fulfill the college specific elective's UCSD requires you to take. Students who belong to ERC and Revelle can attest to this notion.

Human Biology is great as it offers extreme flexibility. I believe you're only bogged down to take OCHEM, Metabolic Biochemistry, Genetics, and Molecular Biology - everything else is up to you. What you may not be use to is the fact that NO COURSE comes coupled with its respective lab. The labs are essentially entire classes in and of themselves that take an entire quarter to complete. For this reason, you are only required to take 2. Human Biology is in no way a GPA killer, but like one of the poster's before me explained, it is competitive for two reasons: the number of biology majors at UCSD in general (I think a whopping 50% of us tritons are some type of life science major) and everyone's basically trying to get in some type of post-grad professional school. Despite this much, the classes are no harder than what you make them to be. If you are proactive about learning the material and put in the long hours at the library over the weekend you will succeed.

Although Human Biology is a great major, it is a dime a dozen. Bionengineering: Biotechnology or any of its equivalent sub-disciplines is not only the GPA Killer, its the straight up weed you out major. I had 4 friends come into UCSD as just that - only one survived and the other 3 ended up switching out.

OP - this decision comes down to two factors - convenience inclusive of cost, location, personal preference and is there any chance that YOU MIGHT CHANGE YOUR CAREER CHOICE? If you're 100% set on going to Med School, it truly does not matter what school you attend and I implore you to go to UCSD. BUT, if you're from LA then the savings to be had as well as the convenience may warrant staying close to home. If there's a chance you might end up switching careers then UCLA would probably help make getting a job a bit easier (LA opportunity and an ever so slight prestige factor). I wish you the best of luck. PM me if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to assist with what I can

Last edited:
I go to UCSD, so perhaps I can offer my insight.

UCSD and UCLA don't differ immensely in difficulty. In fact, I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference at all. Many of our students here were also cross admits at more "prestigious schools" (myself included), so you still have a very competitive student body. And since there are basically no sport events or large party events (other than Sun God), everyone spends most of their time studying, so if you think you can goof off for a bit (especially since this is a quarter system school), you'll find yourself at the bottom of the curve.

At UCSD, the "weeder" classes for premeds are usually General Chemistry and Physics. Organic Chemistry (being an upper division class here) is pretty intense, but the professors are much better at teaching, so it is usually a much more enjoyable class for pre-meds. General Biology is a joke and you won't encounter weeder classes in biology classes until some of your upper division classes. Even then, a lot of them aren't that bad. Human Biology is the most common major at UCSD (most likely) and if that many people can survive it, so can you.

As for "gunners", yes everyone works extremely hard, but there are very few instances of "cutt-throat" competition. Premeds are usually very nice and friendly and you'll have to try pretty hard to find ones that are true gunners. There are large support networks and groups here, so you definitely aren't going to be lost.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or the person above for more information!

UCLA's physci is most definitely a GPA killer--there's no doubt about it. Of course it's possible to get As in the core classes if you study A LOT but honestly I don't think it's worth it when you can just do a somewhat easier major and spend more time on extracurriculars. As a transfer you would be able to switch into a different major before even starting any of the upper div classes. If getting into medical school is your ultimately goal I would honestly advise against transferring in as physci, especially since you may not be used to the rigor of UCLA's classes (I'm not saying that CC courses are easy but UCLA may be very different/difficult). The PhySci major is very interesting but you're going to be learning all that material in medical school anyway--you might as well just do something that interests you now but isn't as demanding.

In the end, just choose the school that you feel like you would be happier at. If you decide to go to UCLA, you shouldn't have any problems switching majors right away (which I suggest unless you're really that intense about physci), and I would assume the same at UCSD.

I was a Human Biology major from UCSD. I don't know anything about UCLA's physio major, but I can shed some light on what UCSD has to offer. The major is relatively straight-forward. Because you are a transfer, I'm assuming you already have general physics, bio, and chem out of the way - OCHEM too? Even better, as OCHEM at UCSD is an UD series. If this is the case, you basically have 1.5-2 years of UD bio classes/electives to go depending on how you stack your schedule. Being a transfer is an immense blessing as you are not required to fulfill the college specific elective's UCSD requires you to take. Students who belong to ERC and Revelle can attest to this notion.

Human Biology is great as it offers extreme flexibility. I believe you're only bogged down to take OCHEM, Metabolic Biochemistry, Genetics, and Molecular Biology - everything else is up to you. What you may not be use to is the fact that NO COURSE comes coupled with its respective lab. The labs are essentially entire classes in and of themselves that take an entire quarter to complete. For this reason, you are only required to take 2. Human Biology is in no way a GPA killer, but like one of the poster's before me explained, it is competitive for two reasons: the number of biology majors at UCSD in general (I think a whopping 50% of us tritons are some type of life science major) and everyone's basically trying to get in some type of post-grad professional school. Despite this much, the classes are no harder than what you make them to be. If you are proactive about learning the material and put in the long hours at the library over the weekend you will succeed.

Although Human Biology is a great major, it is a dime a dozen. Bionengineering: Biotechnology or any of its equivalent sub-disciplines is not only the GPA Killer, its the straight up weed you out major. I had 4 friends come into UCSD as just that - only one survived and the other 3 ended up switching out.

OP - this decision comes down to two factors - convenience inclusive of cost, location, personal preference and is there any chance that YOU MIGHT CHANGE YOUR CAREER CHOICE? If you're 100% set on going to Med School, it truly does not matter what school you attend and I implore you to go to UCSD. BUT, if you're from LA then the savings to be had as well as the convenience may warrant staying close to home. If there's a chance you might end up switching careers then UCLA would probably help make getting a job a bit easier (LA opportunity and an ever so slight prestige factor). I wish you the best of luck. PM me if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to assist with what I can

I have already finished Ochem and one semester of Physics. My gpa is 3.63 right now, which is not good for med school, thats why im worried about getting tons of Cs at UC.
Plus I dont have any clinic volunteer experience or shadow hours or research. So keeping my GPA up is like really important for me. Oh and I got into Revelle, which is my first choice.

I go to UCSD, so perhaps I can offer my insight.

UCSD and UCLA don't differ immensely in difficulty. In fact, I'd be surprised if you noticed a difference at all. Many of our students here were also cross admits at more "prestigious schools" (myself included), so you still have a very competitive student body. And since there are basically no sport events or large party events (other than Sun God), everyone spends most of their time studying, so if you think you can goof off for a bit (especially since this is a quarter system school), you'll find yourself at the bottom of the curve.

At UCSD, the "weeder" classes for premeds are usually General Chemistry and Physics. Organic Chemistry (being an upper division class here) is pretty intense, but the professors are much better at teaching, so it is usually a much more enjoyable class for pre-meds. General Biology is a joke and you won't encounter weeder classes in biology classes until some of your upper division classes. Even then, a lot of them aren't that bad. Human Biology is the most common major at UCSD (most likely) and if that many people can survive it, so can you.

As for "gunners", yes everyone works extremely hard, but there are very few instances of "cutt-throat" competition. Premeds are usually very nice and friendly and you'll have to try pretty hard to find ones that are true gunners. There are large support networks and groups here, so you definitely aren't going to be lost.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me or the person above for more information!

I have a question. How does UC schools curve the grade? I heard its not 90+=A 80+=B ?

UCLA's physci is most definitely a GPA killer--there's no doubt about it. Of course it's possible to get As in the core classes if you study A LOT but honestly I don't think it's worth it when you can just do a somewhat easier major and spend more time on extracurriculars. As a transfer you would be able to switch into a different major before even starting any of the upper div classes. If getting into medical school is your ultimately goal I would honestly advise against transferring in as physci, especially since you may not be used to the rigor of UCLA's classes (I'm not saying that CC courses are easy but UCLA may be very different/difficult). The PhySci major is very interesting but you're going to be learning all that material in medical school anyway--you might as well just do something that interests you now but isn't as demanding.

In the end, just choose the school that you feel like you would be happier at. If you decide to go to UCLA, you shouldn't have any problems switching majors right away (which I suggest unless you're really that intense about physci), and I would assume the same at UCSD.

Thank you for that switching major idea, I will look into it. But honestly, I dont know what else I would pick. Science is what Im most interested in.
Can I switch to Spanish? that will help with med school LOL

Thank you for that switching major idea, I will look into it. But honestly, I dont know what else I would pick. Science is what Im most interested in.
Can I switch to Spanish? that will help with med school LOL

UCLA has other life science majors including: Biology, Psychobiology, MIMG, MCDB, and Neuroscience.

Transferring from a community college to a hard school is a PITA. Hit the ground running is all I'm saying.

The physiological science major isn't a GPA killer. Sure, there are a lot of premeds in it, but it's not engineering. I earned my Biochemistry B.S. after transferring to UCLA from a community college, and most of the people in the major were premed; it was difficult, but not as difficult as some of the other majors, there.

Meh. I like UCSD. I was planning to go there before getting into UCLA. The majors you chose are both full of AP dorks that want to attend medical school... UCLA more so than UCSD, though. Choose the harder route, IMO.

Last edited:
I have a question. How does UC schools curve the grade? I heard its not 90+=A 80+=B ?

Some classes are like that (biochemistry), in which you really actually WANT a curve, but won't have one. Most classes curve the average to a C+/B-, since the averages are always surely going to be lower than just the high 70's lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
Human bio major, as everyone else said, is not hard or a GPA killer. You have a lot of freedom in choosing which bio classes you want so you can pick the easier bio classes if you're afriad for your GPA. The way the curve is set is dependent on the professor. Some normalize the top scores as 100% and others set the A mark off as the score that would give 20% of the class As.

Pick a major that interest you and stick with it. Don't switch out cause you're scared it'll drop your GPA. If you don't have any interest in what you're studying, the rest of your college career will suck. Exponentially.

UCSD also offers tons of research opportunities for students as well as multiple volunteer options (3 different hospitals within walking distance of campus). There are also student run clinics by the med students that you can volunteer in as well. UCSD bio department also allows undergrads the opportunity to TA for bio courses they've done well in.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions

Last edited:
Everyone. I got into Berkeley... So now im torn between the THREE!!!!!!!
NO!!!!!!!!!!! :( I am so stressed out.
is Berkeley that much harder than the two other ones?
I got into the molecular cell biology department for Berkeley by the way...

Yooooo don't go to berkeley. You will get torn into pieces if you do MCB. This is not to say that you aren't capable but starting upper division MCB classes in a berkeley environment will be a real struggle, one that you do not want.

I believe its harder to get research positions in berkeley

How can a biochem major speak for physci at UCLA. Biochem at ucla is generously curved...I know this because half of my premed friends are biochem and my gf is also biochem. I am a physci major and the curving system is ridiculous. There are three core physics classes and the first class's is a straight scale anatomy physio course. Since it is straight scale if you are skilled enough you can get an A. Getting an A is extremely difficult due to the rigor of the course. However, about 30% of 269 students end up getting an A or A-. About 30 students get C- or lower and drop the major. The second core class is neuroscience and skeletomusculo physiology. This is tightly curved with about 10% A and 6% A- etc. out of 235 ish student about 20 people get dropped. It's not about just studying. You have to be better than the other gunners in physci....

Last edited:
Hey amber0509, I'm currently in the same position as you were last year, transferring from a CC and got into UCSD (human bio), UCLA (physiological Sciences), and UCB (integrative major). I was wondering what you ended up deciding and how you liked the school? Was it a hard transition? And how are you doing with classeps if you don't kind me asking?

I also got into UCD and UCI with reagents if I should consider those as well. Thanks in advance

I went to UCLA and was a physci major. It prepares you extremely well for medical school and it is super interesting.... however, there's a risk it can kill your chance of getting into med school. Physci is the most competitive premed majors at UCLA and it is extremely difficult to get As in the classes because the curve is not generous, and only the top 15% will get As. Average is set to a B- (2.7 GPA to put that into perspective).

I definitely paid the price and I have many friends who also did too. I have ultimately been accepted into med school (both DO and MD), and I know that I will be really prepared for 1st year, however I ended up taking a really nontraditional route with gap years and a SMP because of my grades at UCLA. With that being said, the physci classes at UCLA are amazing with amazing professors who are doing cutting edge research. In additon, you can take really a lot of electives because there isn't a ton of required classes for the major. I took 2 dissection classes where we actually got to dissect human cadavers.

If you can hack it then definitely do it, but also be aware of the risk that you take being physci.

I went to UCLA and was a physci major. It prepares you extremely well for medical school and it is super interesting.... however, there's a risk it can kill your chance of getting into med school. Physci is the most competitive premed majors at UCLA and it is extremely difficult to get As in the classes because the curve is not generous, and only the top 15% will get As. Average is set to a B- (2.7 GPA to put that into perspective).

I definitely paid the price and I have many friends who also did too. I have ultimately been accepted into med school (both DO and MD), and I know that I will be really prepared for 1st year, however I ended up taking a really nontraditional route with gap years and a SMP because of my grades at UCLA. With that being said, the physci classes at UCLA are amazing with amazing professors who are doing cutting edge research. In additon, you can take really a lot of electives because there isn't a ton of required classes for the major. I took 2 dissection classes where we actually got to dissect human cadavers.

If you can hack it then definitely do it, but also be aware of the risk that you take being physci.

Thank you so much for the reply and congrats on the med school acceptances! We're the upper divisions the harder classes or the lower divisions? Like we're the B- average for all classes? Upper div physci classes? Or lower div?

Also do you recommend switching to another major? Or do you have any key strategies/resources that I should learn or utilize to help tackle this major? Also do you happen to know what the average graduating GPA is?

The dissecting class sounds extremely fun and interesting, do you remember what class it was?

And sorry for all the questions!

Thank you so much for the reply and congrats on the med school acceptances! We're the upper divisions the harder classes or the lower divisions? Like we're the B- average for all classes? Upper div physci classes? Or lower div?

Also do you recommend switching to another major? Or do you have any key strategies/resources that I should learn or utilize to help tackle this major? Also do you happen to know what the average graduating GPA is?

The dissecting class sounds extremely fun and interesting, do you remember what class it was?

And sorry for all the questions!

Not a physci major but have plenty of friends who are. The lower division courses (pre reqs like gen chem, ochem, physics) are somewhat difficult but manageable with enough effort. Physci upper division courses (mainly core classes 107, 111A, 111B, 111L) are very competitive, although everyone in the major says the material is really interesting. Students in that major are pretty intense, so you really have to be the best of the best to do very well in this major. Basically all science courses here are curved to a B or B-. (Except for random easy upper div electives like plant physiology or physiology of nutrition)

For me, lower division was harder than upper division but I think that's probably a rarity. For the core classes B- is set to average. The only exception is when the average is in the 80s and then it becomes a straight scale (which is also not a great situation to be in either). The material is really interesting and cool, while sometimes I wish I switched to another major just for number sake, I absolutely loved the material, the professors, and classes and am so glad I followed my passion.

I wouldn't say to just switch majors yet- you still have 2 years of prereqs to take. The LS classes are a great way to see what major you would like and probably 95% of UCLA students switch majors (I was MCDB -> Physci) at least once if not twice. As of right now, just focus on studying really hard and doing well as soon as you get to campus. It is so easy to lower your GPA, but raising it takes a ridiculous amount of effort. If you join some of the pre-med programs or volunteer organizations, you will find upperclassman that are amazing "big sibs" and will help you out with resources to use, what classes to take, etc. When I was at UCLA, they had free tutoring at Covel which was really really helpful-people would wait hours to sign up for the sessions.

My biggest advice though, is to only do things you are passionate about once you get to campus. activities, your major, etc. It is soo easy to get caught up in the resume competition with all of the other 4000 premeds on campus. Everyone wants to talk about how they are volunteering with this organization, how they are a leader here, what research they are doing. You obviously have to meet some of the unofficial requirements (clinical volunteering, nonmedical volunteering, research), but do it in an area that you are passionate about. I have plenty of friends who did zoology research or did some really random nonmedical volunteering they were passionate about, or were in a frat or sorority and were able to talk about it in their med school interview and got in. The skills that will make you a better doctor don't aways come from the cookie cutter premed activities, and they love diversity in a med school class. Trust me when I say that it is extremely apparently during a med school interview if you did something because you were interested in it or if you did it because it "looks good". Remember this not only for med school application sake- but also your mental wellbeing. College is a time you will look back on for the rest of your life and wonder how it went by so fast. If you only study, and only do the 'premed cookie cutter activities' you will regret it later and college will be a time that you remember as making it one test at a time. Don't be afraid to make friends in your major in fear of them screwing you over- some of my best friends from college were my major and made the long of studying nights so much more doable. If you go to UCLA, you also want to remember going to the football games, the basketball games, rivalry week, spring sing and all of the campus traditions that you will love. Some of favorite memories of college are the nights that I said screw it the studying and went to the USC game, or went adventuring late at night.

Whatever school you choose just find the balance between working hard and playing hard- you will be in either LA or SD for only 4 years so you should enjoy it! Please don't pick a school based on where you think you will get a higher GPA- pick one based on where you will be happiest (happiness plays a huge role in success). It is a journey, but remember to look up and enjoy the scenery as well. If you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me and hopefully you are a future bruin!

Hi everyone, I am CC transfer and I just got accepted to UCSD and UCLA for Sociology. I was also accepted by Berkeley and Davis but decided that I wanted to get away for college.

I am very torn between the two schools because I have not completed any of my lower division pre med classes. Like Amber, my first thought was to go to UCLA. As a first gen student and person of color getting into both UCLA and UCB is like a dream come true, and my parents are really pushing me to go to one or the other. But I've heard from people and on forums that UCLA lower division classes are a total GPA killer. I got scared, and like Amber, I too believe that getting good preparation for medical school would be of no use if I have a GPA that would be too low to get into one.

My brother currently attends UCSD, and has a stellar GPA there. He recently switched from Economics to Neuroscience, and I was thinking of switching into Human Biology if I go there but am not sure if that will even matter in the long run. He also did not take any lower division science classes before transferring. We have a competitive relationship, but I'm sure that he would be willing to help me transition, and look for research opportunities.

Amber, I would appreciate you letting me know which school you chose and how you have been doing so far. I have to decide soon so any input at this point would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

Last edited:
human bio is not a GPA killer.

Do you think it is wise to change into Human Biology upon transferring to UCSD or do you think I should just stick with Sociology?

If you like sociology, don't be afraid of sticking with it. You can still take the pre-reqs necessary for med school and any other bio classes you want. What you major in doesn't affect your med school chances. I have a couple friends that majored in sociology and some hated it, some loved it. Depends on who you are I suppose.

Hey im going to be transferring to Ucla this coming year. I was wondering what majors you suggest to keep a high gpa, since my ultimate goal is dental school. Thanks!

Come to UCSD. we're close to Mexico where you can get super dank cheap Mexican food