UCSD Scores 2nd Highest in CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdr1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently heard from a very reliable source that UCSD's average USMLE Step I board scores were the second highest in California last year. (UCI was the top because of their curriculum). Just something I found interesting.

Members don't see this ad.

So, Wash U prolly has the highest in the country, doesn't mean its the best med school.

mdr1 said:
I recently heard from a very reliable source that UCSD's average USMLE Step I board scores were the second highest in California last year. (UCI was the top because of their curriculum). Just something I found interesting.

Wow, I did not know that UCI and UCSD had the highest board scores in CA. Interesting.

But it kind of makes a little sense: UCI and UCSD have honors/pass/fail grading systems during years 1+2. At UCSF, UCLA, UCD, and Stanford (I don't know about USC and Loma Linda), there is a strictly P/F curriculum during the first two years-->this breeds non-competitiveness.

But hey--I don't see students at those P/F schools struggling to get good residency spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
mdr1 said:

I recently heard from a less reliable source that nobody at UCDavis, UCLA or UCSF cares.

davidus said:
I recently heard from a less reliable source that nobody at UCDavis, UCLA or UCSF cares.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

mdr1 said:

What is with UCI's curriculum that permits them to do so well on boards?

Haybrant said:
What is with UCI's curriculum that permits them to do so well on boards?

Good question...and how much better do UCI and UCSD fare on the Step I than the other Cali schools? I mean, is the difference at all significant?

the same reliable sources might say that ucsd doesnt give their students enough time to actually study for the boards

take everything you hear about average uslme scores with a large chunk of rock salt

I think the board scores are a bit of a moot point when you look at where the students match. UCSF's match destroys UCSD's match, so let's see how it turns out this year, March 17.

davidus said:

:laugh: :thumbup:

Yikes....in all honesty, I think all the Cali schools are great. And anyone who gets into one should be really happy! I think everyone at the UC's does pretty well on the boards and gets a good match, as long as they work hard enough during school.

I am praying to get into a UC...I don't want to get shipped out of state! :eek:

Tra La La said:
Wow, I did not know that UCI and UCSD had the highest board scores in CA. Interesting.

But it kind of makes a little sense: UCI and UCSD have honors/pass/fail grading systems during years 1+2. At UCSF, UCLA, UCD, and Stanford (I don't know about USC and Loma Linda), there is a strictly P/F curriculum during the first two years-->this breeds non-competitiveness.

But hey--I don't see students at those P/F schools struggling to get good residency spots.

All poor arguments in my mind. Others would argue that non-competitiveness breeds teamwork and cooperativity. Those going to top schools are very driven people and will definitely strive for top residencies.

We are all basing our arguments on the assumption that this "source" was right...which it probably wasn't.

Re: Step 1.

There was a school (which I wont name) that geared their curriculum JUST for step 1 scores. This school was an average school. It worked and their Step 1 averages blew away every other schools. However, their students faltered in the wards and supposedly during residency, and that school reverted to a more traditional curriculum.

I would be leery of going to a school that simply prepares their students to ace Step 1. thats only one part of yoru preclinical training. Just some food for thought.

I am a first year at UCI Med and when I saw this post in our computer lab I asked around and no other students (1st/2nd years included) had heard anything about this...but our curiculum favors high board scores bc the final exams we take are basically shelf exams, which makes us start studying for the boards during our early first years. Also, we get like 2 months off before our boards to study, so maybe there is some truth in it.

well, not last year, but the year before UCSD had board scores of 225, which wouldn't be the top in the state. Probably 4th or 5th. My school got a 225 this year, and that is with a GPA .15 lower and MCAT 1.2 lower than UCSD's. The biggest reason we did well is because we had about 3 month to study for the exam. UCSD has 4 weeks from the time they stop second year until they start third.

I would bet UCI has the highest overall board score. They have a curriculum with shelf tests, lots of time off after second year to study, and a Honors/Pass/Fail that would make a more competative environment where the students would study more.

BTW, I think one of the reasons this rumor always gets started is because UCSD on their interviews has their dean say "UCSD has the highest Pass rates on the boards in nation," and if you wern't paying attention you could think they have the highest scores. You will also notice they hand out a sheet talking about how they have less hours of class than UCI, UCLA< UCSF, etc, etc. If you actually look at the survery, UCSD includes only lecture hours, while the other schools include test hours, review hours, clinical hours, etc, etc. They are pretty dirty about that stuff.

so what is the average step 1 score at UCSD and UCSF? anyone know?

When assessing board scores, you should also realize that different schools target their first 2 years for different purposes. UCSF used to have a very 'board-centered' first two years. This has changed with the introduction of the new (5 yrs or so ago) curriculum, which is more focused towards the clinical years. Although I dont know our average board scores exactly, i know they havent changed much (or maybe even fallen a tad) since we changed curriculums, but student performance on wards has improved.