UCSD/SDSU Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adiddy25

medical student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 4th year med student looking to do residency in San Diego. My girlfriend is applying for audiology out there as well, but is afraid the program may be too competitive...seeing how it's the only Cali program in a really desirable city.

Can any current AuD students there comment on her chances of getting in? Her GPA is 3.0, GRE scores 1150, good letters of rec, good extracurricular experiences. Do you think it would help if someone from my residency program spoke to someone in the audiology department? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure of what the average stats are for accepted students in the AuD program, but I have a feeling that it's easier to get into the Master's program in speech pathology at SDSU. Is she certain that she wants to be an audiologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure of what the average stats are for accepted students in the AuD program, but I have a feeling that it's easier to get into the Master's program in speech pathology at SDSU. Is she certain that she wants to be an audiologist?

I'm afraid so... thanks for the heads up.

Hi, I'm a 4th year med student looking to do residency in San Diego. My girlfriend is applying for audiology out there as well, but is afraid the program may be too competitive...seeing how it's the only Cali program in a really desirable city.

Can any current AuD students there comment on her chances of getting in? Her GPA is 3.0, GRE scores 1150, good letters of rec, good extracurricular experiences. Do you think it would help if someone from my residency program spoke to someone in the audiology department? Thanks!

Not sure the stats at the school but if was her, I would contact the admission chair for the Au.D. program and take it from there. Regardless of what program she's applying to, nothing is set in stone in terms of qualifications. It helps them if they can put a face to an application. Best of luck.

Most schools use a 3.0 GPA as a baseline. The school she is applying to should have admission criteria available on their website, I would suggest to her that she takes a look. A 3.0 isn't a very strong GPA, her GRE looks good. I would recommend that she have VERY strong letters of recommendation, as well as a very strong personal statement. Admission is competitive because many people apply, usually for 10-20 seats in the program. AuD programs are much smaller than SLP and other graduate programs due to the nature of the program. It would be very difficult to move 50 first year and 50 second year students through clinical rotations.

I'm a student at SDSU in the SLHS undergrad program. The minimum GPA required to apply to either the SLP or AuD program is a 3.2, so that may be a concern. It's a pretty competitive program, being the only one in California. I've been interested in applying to the AuD program as well so I already spoke to my Audiology teacher and TA. From what they told me, about 60-70 people apply and 9-10 are accepted.

I got accepted to SDSU/UCSD Aud program. Applicants with GPA 3.2 or higher get the priority for admission. For applicants with lower than 3.2 GPA, they will most likely be placed on the waiting list. Although they only admit 10 students each year, I feel that many of the admitted students decided not to join the program and many on the waiting list eventually got in. I was on the waiting list and they even told me what my number on the waitlist was. My GPA was below 3.2 and GRE is average, but I have related working experience, some publications and presentations, and very strong letters of rec (one of my letters of rec came from the President of the American Academy of Audiology.) I think it might help if your girlfriend has strong clinical or research experience.

Wow, Congrats. I was hoping to apply next year but I calculated the expenses of school, rent, utilities, etc and it was way too high. If you don't mind me asking, how do you plan on affording housing, school, etc? Maybe it'll give me some ideas :p

I have been working for quite a few years and have saved some money. I am also getting financial help from my parents. I've also applied for scholarships and loans.

I will be applying for a Doctorate in Audiology this fall, and I wanted to hear some suggestions from current AuD students, or anyone else with graduate application experience.
SDSU/UCSD AuD is my #1 choice program and I have been working really hard to gain as much experience as I possibly can. I am 110% set on Audiology and nothing will sway my choice.
My only concern is GPA. I ended community college with a little over 3.0 GPA, and have a major GPA of 3.7, so a rough cumulative of 3.2 GPA if I retake one course from my undergraduate general education. I have not taken the GRE yet but I am foreseeing a score of 1000.
Here is where the questioning comes in. By the time my AuD application will be due to SDSU, I will have accumulated close to 200 hours of clinical observations.
I also have 4 years of working in clinics in paid and volunteer positions and am currently a teaching assistant at an Oral School for the Deaf.
With that said, I have A LOT of relevant exposure to the field of Audiology, more specifically to clinical audiology, but my GPA is my only concern.

What are your thoughts on my chances of admission to SDSU/UCSD AuD?

THANK YOU!

I got accepted to SDSU/UCSD Aud program. Applicants with GPA 3.2 or higher get the priority for admission. For applicants with lower than 3.2 GPA, they will most likely be placed on the waiting list. Although they only admit 10 students each year, I feel that many of the admitted students decided not to join the program and many on the waiting list eventually got in. I was on the waiting list and they even told me what my number on the waitlist was. My GPA was below 3.2 and GRE is average, but I have related working experience, some publications and presentations, and very strong letters of rec (one of my letters of rec came from the President of the American Academy of Audiology.) I think it might help if your girlfriend has strong clinical or research experience.

Can I ask how you got the recommendation from the President? What were you involved in as an undergrad? Thank you :)