UCSD vs Case Western

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCSD vs Case Western

• UCSD

Votes: 46 83.6%
  • Case Western

Votes: 9 16.4%

• Total voters

irateambassador

Reaction score
Hi everyone! First off, I feel super grateful having received multiple acceptances this cycle and feel privileged that I have a choice at all in where I end up next year. I was wondering if anyone has any advice or insight on either of these schools.

A bit about me and my priorities: I'm from California. I want to match back to California, but I'm not sure what I want to specialize in yet, so I want to be able to have all my options open, including fairly competitive specialties. I am really interested in global health and health equity, and research opportunities and school culture are both important to me.

UCSD
Pros
  • Location (grew up in Los Angeles so I'd be closer to family and friends)
  • Research, lots of faculty that are doing research I'm interested in + high funding per faculty
  • Already know some people attending this school
  • Heavy California match list
  • Cheaper tuition
  • Really cool free clinic
Cons
  • High cost of living
  • Heard stories about a "toxic" gunner culture at UCSD, which is kinda concerning to me (but I've heard the opposite too)
  • Not as strong national reputation as Case (from what I've heard from people but idt this matters to me too much)

Case Western
Pros
  • Affiliated with Cleveland Clinic, super cool clinical cases, research
  • Better clinical experiences than UCSD (from what I gauged at interview day)
  • COL is great
  • Strong social community from what I've heard during interview day
  • Strong match list
  • New facilities
  • Explore a different part of the country (pro and con)
Cons
  • Far away from home
  • Don't know anyone here
  • Expensive tuition
  • Weather

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 1 user
I think UCSD is the clear choice here, especially if you plan on matching in California. There is no big enough difference in prestige or opportunity between the two to warrant a higher price tag AND being far away from a support system. I think the amazing weather, proximity to family and friends, in state tuition on top of UCSD already being a great school make this a no brainer

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, this is a very obvious choice imo. UCSD 100% and don’t think twice about it. UCSD is a wonderful institution and you wanna match in California anyways! It’s cheaper and it’s on Case’s level in terms of prestige. I hope I see you at UCSD’s second look :)

Congrats on your acceptances and an amazing cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you want to live near home for medical school and residency? Are finances important to you? I think the decision is clear that UCSD is an excellent choice. You should attend revisit for each and see how your fit is for each school.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm in the exact same boat between the two!!! :highfive: (but I'm from near Cleveland rather than from Cali, which ik makes a massive difference) I'm *SO* grateful and aware this is a ridiculously fortunate problem to have, but tbh, I am really stuck. I've never really had to make a decision of this kind of weight before (scholarship in UG basically made my choice for me). Really hoping either financial aid or second look days will help shake things out.My main con with UCSD is just that it is so much farther from home for me, so given that that is not a con for you, it does seem to me like UCSD is a better option for you!

I think UCSD is the clear choice here, especially if you plan on matching in California. There is no big enough difference in prestige or opportunity between the two to warrant a higher price tag AND being far away from a support system. I think the amazing weather, proximity to family and friends, in state tuition on top of UCSD already being a great school make this a no brainer
^^^ 2nd this

Couldn't agree more!!! When you're grinding for Step 1 in the middle of the winter or something brutal, you will thank us :)