UCSF medical post bacc 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctorhopeful1986

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I've decided to start this thread for those who have been accepted and will be attending UCSF this year. And also for those who are UCSF alumni.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so I've decided to start this thread for those who have been accepted and will be attending UCSF this year. And also for those who are UCSF alumni.

Applied: UCD, UCSD, UCR, UCSF

Interviewed: UCSD, UCD, UCSF

accepted: UCSD, UCD, UCSF

Committed: UCSF

I chose UCSF for the graduate certificate status, higher medical school acceptance rate, proximity to home, financial aid and just the overall feel and welcoming nature of the program directors. Not to mention ... It's UCSF!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to UCD, UCR, UCSF
Interview/Accepted/Committed: UCSF

I attend UC Davis currently. UCSF will be a challenging new environment and I am very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
What classes did they recommend for you to take?

Some of mine:
Hematology
Intro to Parasitology
Medical Microbiology
Stem Cell biology
Principle of infectious disease

Last edited:
Interesting. I might change a few of mine but I'll wait on that. Where did you do your undergrad?

Interesting. I might change a few of mine but I'll wait on that. Where did you do your undergrad?
Yea I'm interested to see what they say, because the immunology teacher doesn't seem great from rate my professor. I did undergrad at UCSC

Did you apply for student housing?

I did submit an application for housing. I am hoping I get something at the mission bay set up - they're new, shuttles that run to each campus, good location, excellent amenities and facilities, and the prices are reasonable.

You should check out their website and see the different options. I'm doing anything PB related during my study breaks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working on fafsa today...I'll most likely put on campus. what grade level did you put? 5thyear/other undergraduate?

I looked up the UCSF on campus housing website - I discussed this option with Valerie and she said I should apply and see what happens.

Last edited:
I think I put 1st year graduate/certificate, actually had to go back and edit that because I applied in January . You need to put graduate from what I saw on the email.

I think I put 1st year graduate/certificate, actually had to go back and edit that because I applied in January . You need to put graduate from what I saw on the email.
yeah I figured it out, thanks.

Put in my application for housing seems a lot more reasonable than off campus as far as pricing

I looked up the UCSF on campus housing website - I discussed this option with Valerie and she said I should apply and see what happens.
So did she think it was unlikely that we'd get placement on campus? There is an option for post baccalaureate specifically. Seems like we should get a spot I would imagine.

V: UCSF DOES HAVE STUDENT HOUSING AND IT IS AVAILABLE TO OUR POST BAC STUDENTS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY FOR IT. IT IS A LITTLE BIT MORE PRICEY THAN HOUSING IN THE COMMUNITY, HOWEVER IT IS PROBABLY NOT TOO HARD TO GET INTO IT (I.E. LESS COMPETITION FROM COMMUNITY MEMBERS).

V: UCSF DOES HAVE STUDENT HOUSING AND IT IS AVAILABLE TO OUR POST BAC STUDENTS IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO APPLY FOR IT. IT IS A LITTLE BIT MORE PRICEY THAN HOUSING IN THE COMMUNITY, HOWEVER IT IS PROBABLY NOT TOO HARD TO GET INTO IT (I.E. LESS COMPETITION FROM COMMUNITY MEMBERS).
My application was approved but they said in 2012 they were only able to accommodate 28% of applicants. And they do it through a lottery.

I got the same email and the same thought crossed my mind. Not high odds. Their housing page also has links for off-campus housing that I will check out, but I have my fingers crossed that I score in the lottery.

I got the same email and the same thought crossed my mind. Not high odds. Their housing page also has links for off-campus housing that I will check out, but I have my fingers crossed that I score in the lottery.
Yea horrible odds... I really wanna live on campus too now. What type of apartments did you apply for? And did you put the move in date as August 1st?

I applied for mission bay 1bed/4bed flat, avenue@parnassus 1 bed/4 bed house, irving st@ parnassus 1 bed/2bed apartment....
August 1st move in date.

Nice making sure I got that date right... Hey so how many units total are we going to be taking through the academic year? Do you know? It says a minimum of 9 but I don't see that being able to impact my undergraduate GPA very much.

You would have to do the math and calculate averages. I am thinking about taking 4 courses this fall - and then try and up to 5 in the spring. It is not a lot - but the quality of the courses will matter. Have you decided what courses you might take?

You would have to do the math and calculate averages. I am thinking about taking 4 courses this fall - and then try and up to 5 in the spring. It is not a lot - but the quality of the courses will matter. Have you decided what courses you might take?
I haven't decided yet, I'll have to discuss that with them when we start next week. I think the most important thing is to ace every class. I want to do atleast 4 classes but I don't want to over do it

Obviously. That's why I'm starting with 4 - and then going to 5. Mind over matter ;)

Did you guys have any trouble logging into MyAccess?

Would you mind sharing how you got it to work?

Would you mind sharing how you got it to work?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1402456285.740281.jpg

Just follow steps 1-4

Hey, can I confirm with you guys that you also got charged a student health waiver fee? It sucks that I can't open the transactions to see what the abbreviations mean. I will call the financial aid office in the morning.

I haven't been able to see anything. How do you access the ucsf email? Because when I tried to activate MyAccess I used my yahoo email and was sent an error email. So then I used the ucsf email provided but I don't know how to access the email account and I don't have the password. Did you guys have your password sent to you?

I haven't been able to see anything. How do you access the ucsf email? Because when I tried to activate MyAccess I used my yahoo email and was sent an error email. So then I used the ucsf email provided but I don't know how to access the email account and I don't have the password. Did you guys have your password sent to you?
Yes - I received it in the mail. A form with my email - and password.
You should check that you had the correct address on file. Or just call Sofia

Yes - I received it in the mail. A form with my email - and password.
You should check that you had the correct address on file. Or just call Sofia
Thank you so much acaf! You have been incredibly helpful.

Have you guys decided what classes you're going to take? I'm having trouble deciding between stem cell and genomic medicine.

You guys are making me jealous! Sorry for barging into your thread, but I wish you all the best in the program! Go kick ass during the year!

Reactions: 1 users
You guys are making me jealous! Sorry for barging into your thread, but I wish you all the best in the program! Go kick ass during the year!
Hey don't worry about it, this club is a welcoming one! And thank you so much for the kind words. It motivates me to succeed even more.

Have you guys decided what classes you're going to take? I'm having trouble deciding between stem cell and genomic medicine.
Agreed with fdh1986 - we will have a meeting with them individually I believe on Tuesday. But I don't think I plan on taking stem cell biology.

Hey, can I confirm with you guys that you also got charged a student health waiver fee? It sucks that I can't open the transactions to see what the abbreviations mean. I will call the financial aid office in the morning.
Were you ever able to figure out the fee?

I know I am late but what where you're stats for getting into the post bacc? what school did you go to? cum gpa science gpa? mcat score? experience? thanks

I know I am late but what where you're stats for getting into the post bacc? what school did you go to? cum gpa science gpa? mcat score? experience? thanks

I would like to know this as well. I'm still working on applications for this. Do you all know how strict they are with the letter of recommendation? They're asking three which has to be from a science instructor, community service, and another professor or employer. At the moment I only have ones from two professors and my employer. I don't really have one from community service...