UCSF Post-Bacc 2015-2016 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitalBeansprout

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thought I would start this thread. Anyone applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep. Application is in committee presently. Mills, SFSU, Scripps and LMU apps are complete since December 2014. I'm holding off other applications til I know more. Biting my nails. And my cuticles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on the application, there seemed to be only one option--the late June start date. So I would say Summer term.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey do you mind posting your stats? cumulative gpa? science gpa? What was your undergrad institution? MCAT? maybe brief EC's?? Thanks! I want to know like avg stats to get in because im thinking of applying next year. Please and Thanks again!

Did you all apply through the consortium?

Applied to the consortium March 29th...late I know :(
Has anyone heard back

Does anyone know what it means when they say on their website that "our program received graduate certificate status"? Does that mean the classes we take won't count towards our uGPA? Or does it just mean they can award certificates for people who graduate from their post-bacc program?

Does anyone know what it means when they say on their website that "our program received graduate certificate status"? Does that mean the classes we take won't count towards our uGPA? Or does it just mean they can award certificates for people who graduate from their post-bacc program?
I am not sure if you are talking about other programs as well since the only program I know of that posts such statement is UCSF. I believe that is so is because UCSF is mainly a graduate school and the reason why they offer that is to allow the postbacc students to obtain federal loans. As you know, the government will not let you borrow money to study unless it is for a certain degree. So by offering graduate certificate, we can get government loan to pay for our postbacc program. Otherwise, we'd have to get private loans which is usually the case at the other UC postbaccs. If you don't have a cosigner or money saved up, you might be out of luck. I don't know if the schools have some sort of special arrangements that would allow you to secure private loans if you don't have a cosigner.

I am not sure if you are talking about other programs as well since the only program I know of that posts such statement is UCSF. I believe that is so is because UCSF is mainly a graduate school and the reason why they offer that is to allow the postbacc students to obtain federal loans. As you know, the government will not let you borrow money to study unless it is for a certain degree. So by offering graduate certificate, we can get government loan to pay for our postbacc program. Otherwise, we'd have to get private loans which is usually the case at the other UC postbaccs. If you don't have a cosigner or money saved up, you might be out of luck. I don't know if the schools have some sort of special arrangements that would allow you to secure private loans if you don't have a cosigner.

So UCSF offers a graduate certificate in order to help us obtain financial aid, but we will still be taking undergraduate classes that'll count towards our undergraduate GPA? I've read other threads and it seems like that's the main difference between a post-bacc and an SMP. In writing this, I'm answering my own question since because we are doing a post-bacc it'll count towards our undergraduate GPA and since the UCSF program isn't awarding us with a Master's or anything like that.

So UCSF offers a graduate certificate in order to help us obtain financial aid, but we will still be taking undergraduate classes that'll count towards our undergraduate GPA? I've read other threads and it seems like that's the main difference between a post-bacc and an SMP. In writing this, I'm answering my own question since because we are doing a post-bacc it'll count towards our undergraduate GPA and since the UCSF program isn't awarding us with a Master's or anything like that.

Yes. That is what I've gathered from other threads as well.

Anyone have any idea what the interviews would be like?

Hey Guys!

Can anyone shed some light on how the interview is? Such as group interview or one on one basis...what kind of questions were asked...etc! Any help would be great! Thank you :)