UCSF Supplemental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Londidondi

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on UCSF supplemental and am having trouble with question B3? Is there anyone out there that can help?

QuestionL: What insight into the human condition will you bring to your studies at UCSF?

ahhhhhh I'm almost done!:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm struggling with it too. I have no idea how I should answer the question about how issues of diversity affect/shape the interactions between pharmacists and patients. How do you define diversity? I think for question 3b, you could talk about what new ideas you would bring to pharmacy. For questions that do not apply to us, do we just say none? N/A?? How long do the short answers have to be? They all seem like they each could be a page long. Thanks!!:)

I am currently working on UCSF supplemental and am having trouble with question B3? Is there anyone out there that can help?

QuestionL: What insight into the human condition will you bring to your studies at UCSF?

ahhhhhh I'm almost done!:

I think it was Shaq who asked this same question about a month ago. Use the search function for this site to find it. I think I responded there. If that doesn't help - pm me & perhaps I can give you some "insight";) .

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm struggling with it too. I have no idea how I should answer the question about how issues of diversity affect/shape the interactions between pharmacists and patients. How do you define diversity? I think for question 3b, you could talk about what new ideas you would bring to pharmacy. For questions that do not apply to us, do we just say none? N/A?? How long do the short answers have to be? They all seem like they each could be a page long. Thanks!!:)

Goodness.....start by looking up the definition of diversity. Then - think - where is UCSF? Its in one of the most diverse cities in the US - racially, ethnically, socially, economically, religiously, educationally, etc... How can you possibly think diversity would not affect you as a student going to a school which draws from around the world in all its programs & has researchers from all over the world & treats patients from all over the world?

Now....even if you go back to your own very non-diverse community - do they even exist???.....what will your experience at UCSF bring you to help you with their pharmaceutical needs or to understand the pharmaceutical needs of others?

There should be no question that does not apply to you.....you should be able to write something on every question they bring up. They are put there for a reason - they want to find out about YOU! Your job is to tell them about YOU!

As for length....write what enough to make your point clearly, but don't keep making the same point over & over just to fill space.

thanks. the very last question asks if you have physical/learning disabilities...

thanks. the very last question asks if you have physical/learning disabilities...

Ok....if you have none, you acknowledge that then make a statement which might reflect how that might impact you as a student. Do you have any responsibility as a fellow student to others who might have a disability?

What if your lab partner was color blind & couldn't see the color change in a pharmaceutical experiment? What if your lab partner was missing a hand & had difficulty with dissection in anatomy? All these are extreme examples, but ones to think about which might allow you to develop empathy for patients and coworkers who might have a disability.

You don't need to write a dissertation.....just make a comment acknowledging that you are aware of how they could impact the educational environment & how you could be a positive force for that environment.

Just a suggestion....

thanks! i know what to do now. :)

A bit of trivia about this particular supplemental app question: I hear that it was Mary Ann (the dean) who requested that it be included. :)

A bit of trivia about this particular supplemental app question: I hear that it was Mary Ann (the dean) who requested that it be included. :)

She is a great woman & a wonderful pharmacist. She was just an instructor when I was a student & over the years I've had a lot of interaction with her. I hope you'll meet her someday - she's very dynamic!

However...the school has had a great tradition over the years with using it's influence, knowledge & abilities to effect change in the human condition not just locally, but globally. (Remember this - know this - keep this in your mind when you are writing your essays!

The dean when I was there - Jere Goyan - became an FDA Commisioner so he had sigificant effect politically with drug regulation. He also was a tremendous person. But...over the years...there are far too many influential people, as in all schools who reach out to effect change in the way we use drugs, to name. Everyone, no matter what school they apply to....should obtain some knowledge about that school & what its mission is - it helps to "tailor" your application.

Good Luck!

sdn1977,

You seem like you know what UCSF is looking for :) . I'm not too confident with question B3 also (insight into the human condition). I have a rough draft of what I want to submit, just not sure if the answer is clear and complete. Would you be willing to read my draft?

Ok....if you have none, you acknowledge that then make a statement which might reflect how that might impact you as a student. Do you have any responsibility as a fellow student to others who might have a disability?

What if your lab partner was color blind & couldn't see the color change in a pharmaceutical experiment? What if your lab partner was missing a hand & had difficulty with dissection in anatomy? All these are extreme examples, but ones to think about which might allow you to develop empathy for patients and coworkers who might have a disability.

You don't need to write a dissertation.....just make a comment acknowledging that you are aware of how they could impact the educational environment & how you could be a positive force for that environment.

Just a suggestion....

actually when I read their instructions, they said to only address the questions that apply to you, so I'm not sure if they would be disgruntled if a non-disabled applicant responded to this question.

Mary Ann is great. After all, I wonder how many deans exist that insist that they be on a first name basis with everybody in the school (none of this "Dr. Koda-Kimble" nonsense for her!) and actually have students over to their homes for dinner? :)

I actually think it is a tradition at UCSF. I was a first year & Jere Goyan invited a bunch of us & our SO's to his place in Marin for dinner & conversation. It just so happened that day Patty Hearst & her buddies had held up the bank (yes....yes...I'm very old!!!) so that was the major topic of conversation.

However...he did move it around to the whole concept of what goes on when someone is abducted & adopts his/her abductor's mindset (right now I'm too tired to think of the physchologic theory)...but it was an interesting discussion into how we can be manipulated into believing things without developing a healthy ability to self question.

In later years...this has proven to be the case even in pharmacists. How many times have you wondered or even asked why you do something a certain way & the answer is "because we just do....". Well....as pharmacists..we need to always question what we do & why & be willing to develop new reasons & ways to accomplish the complex task of providing good pharmaceutical care to patients.

I think Mary Ann has taken this tradition & continued it well. It helps she also remembered me & knew my name at my 25th reunion....so its a personal thing too!:D