UF-Shands didnt fill?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dave2626

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've now talked to two folks who were told they would be ranked at florida and put it #1 on their rank list and now they are scrambling and UF-shands had two unfilled slots...

What gives?

Members don't see this ad.

Is that gainesville or Jacksonville?
Anyone else know the unfilled neuro programs?

Good luck to those scrambling. (I wouldn't have the energy anymore)

NEURO ADV PROG -------QUOTA --- FILLED----UNFILLED

U Florida COM-Jacksonville 4 2 2

U Florida COM-Shands Hosp 4 2 2

U Louisville SOM-KY 2 0 2

Tulane Univ SOM-LA 2 0 2

Boston Univ Med Ctr-MA 5 4 1

New England Med Ctr-MA 6 4 2

Sparrow Hospital-MI 2 0 2

U Michigan Hosps-Ann Arbor 1 0 1

UMDNJ-R W Johnson-Camden 2 0 2

Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY 9 7 2

Mt Sinai Hospital-NY 6 3 3

Duke Univ Med Ctr-NC 4 1 3

Cleveland Clinic Fdn-OH 7 6 1

U Texas Med Branch-Galveston 3 1 2

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I thought it was obnoxious Duke had an early October due date for their ap...
odd for such a "renown" program. nice scrabble catch for a luck few scramblers.

I think that this is something that happens frequently with the match. Either the resident or the program "promise" each other that they will "rank you first"....( which is unethical, btw ) .Someone becomes dishonest in the process and.......surprise !!

I know of the number one student at a certain University that promised the local Pathology Department that their program was her first choice. To the Department's dismay, match day came and they had an unfilled position as a result of that student who ended up going to Georgetown instead.......Thye wanted to kill her...for real....

you are being sarcastic, right?

No. Letters of intention are a pretty regular practice. Truthful letters maintain the integrity of the writer. The NRMP guidelines do not prohibit them (though I could go off debating how ethical/unethical NRMP guidelines are). What would make writing one unethical? The only time I could see is if someone writes multiple LOI's, since they are lying. Otherwise, you are basically just letting a school know that you are a very interested candidate who actually wants to be at the program next year. Overall the practice is similar to a PD calling another PD, except that it sidesteps the feel of nepotism surrounding that practice.

I see your point. However, I was referring to assurances by either party, verbally, no letters of intention involved. The program "tells you" and you "tell the program". In any case, that's not the way it should be. The match is intended to be "blind" otherwise it is grossly manipulated and then what's the use?

I see your point. However, I was referring to assurances by either party, verbally, no letters of intention involved. The program "tells you" and you "tell the program". In any case, that's not the way it should be. The match is intended to be "blind" otherwise it is grossly manipulated and then what's the use?

I would agree that any situation where one side makes a conditional assurance would disrupt the system. It doesn't help that medical students tend to be neurotic about the possibility of not matching and can make some pretty irrational choices when presented with a "sure thing". :)