UF's Pre-Pharmacy major?

oniondog

bark bark
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, guys! I was referred to this website by my twin sister. I'm heavily interested in a career in health, and I'm leaning towards Pharmacy or Dietetics. However, I'm also really interested in Political Science and Middle Eastern studies, and consider myself more adept in those fields...yet I'm highly determined, even if I don't consider chemistry or math as my strong points. I'm very willing to learn, basically. I volunteered at a hospital (including the pharmacy there) for a few years and really enjoyed it; I felt truly comfortable in that type of work setting.

Anyways, I recently got accepted into the University of Florida for undergrad. I was wondering if anyone could inform me about their Pre-Pharmacy major. How is it, is it worth it, etc etc? Here's some more information on it: http://www.registrar.ufl.edu/catalog/programs/majors/pharm.html After completing it you get your Doctor of Pharmacy. Basically, I want to know more about the world of Pre-Pharmacy, pharmacy school, and the profession in general before I make my decision.

Oh, and my twin is going to USF; she got accepted into their 6 year med program. :)

Members don't see this ad.

That's great that you got into UF, congratulations! I got in as well but I'm deciding not to go because Gainesville just gets me down. Also congrats to your sister, I have many friends in the USF 7-year med program and I almost went there as well but I feel as though I need a change of scenery (I'm from Tampa).

Pharmacy is a fantastic career and if you have clinical experience in the area and realize that you would enjoy that career then go for the UF program. UF is a fantastic school and Shands is a fantastic hospital. You can't go wrong with that program and if it's geared towards what you want to do then it seems like a no-brainer. Also, I assume you live in Florida and will be receiving Bright Futures which will cover most, if not all, your tuition.

Again, congratulations and good luck!