UIC on-campus graduate housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kutmasta

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen many posts on UIC so I hope someone can still help me. What is the experience like for the on-campus graduate housing, in particular the SSR. Since it's housing meant for graduate/professional students, is the building quiet most of the time? How about parking? I've read a few posts about the housing situation, but those were from 7 years ago so I don't know if anything has changed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I lived at Ssr for a year. It's not bad, but its not too great either. I decided to move after my first year because there is cheaper and nicer places in the surrounding area. Craigslist university village and you will find options. Don't look west of western and south of Roosevelt, it's gets kinda rough.

What are the pros and cons of ssr? Also, what apartments would you recommend? Roosevelt sq? North Town Village? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pros:
easy access to UIC SPH
Very close to all health schools and hospitals
~18 floors, maybe you get luck and get a view of downtown from your window
All costs lumped together, so no bills other than 1 flat fee for the aptmnt
Rooms range in size. I actually had a pretty big room.
Mostly quiet
Can have camps food option
Can cook own food as well

Cons:
I don't remember but I think it was like 900$/month if you break it down
Elevator breaks down
Maintenance can come into your aptmnt at basically anytime.
I was on a top floor and one point was dealing with leaky roof issues, no reimbursement for damages to personal stuff.
If you want to live there to meet people... It's harder than you would expect
Food that the meal plans provide sucks
Meal plans are $$$
It's def not the kinda place that you wanna show off (for the price this is unacceptable)
Oh yea, all guests have to be checked in and out

So to me the pros and cons are pretty close. But it was easy to wanna move out and find another option that was cheaper.
Like I said checkout Craigslist for university village or little Italy. These ae the closest neighborhoods. North town commons kinda far, Roosevelt square I'm not sure about.

Hi thanks this pro and cons list totally helps! Ill be attending this fall as a grad student and coming all the way from california so seems like a good option. Is it really that hard to meet people? Also, I am looking at layout and there is no common living room space in the apartments? Lastly, what happens if a boyfriend or girlfriend wants to visit and spend the night? Thanks!!!

Pros:
easy access to UIC SPH
Very close to all health schools and hospitals
~18 floors, maybe you get luck and get a view of downtown from your window
All costs lumped together, so no bills other than 1 flat fee for the aptmnt
Rooms range in size. I actually had a pretty big room.
Mostly quiet
Can have camps food option
Can cook own food as well

Cons:
I don't remember but I think it was like 900$/month if you break it down
Elevator breaks down
Maintenance can come into your aptmnt at basically anytime.
I was on a top floor and one point was dealing with leaky roof issues, no reimbursement for damages to personal stuff.
If you want to live there to meet people... It's harder than you would expect
Food that the meal plans provide sucks
Meal plans are $$$
It's def not the kinda place that you wanna show off (for the price this is unacceptable)
Oh yea, all guests have to be checked in and out

So to me the pros and cons are pretty close. But it was easy to wanna move out and find another option that was cheaper.
Like I said checkout Craigslist for university village or little Italy. These ae the closest neighborhoods. North town commons kinda far, Roosevelt square I'm not sure about.

Live in University Village. You'll thank me later

It's so easy to find an apartment in Chicago and cheap in University Village, not sure why anyone would want to do graduate housing...pretty bad deal IMO.