UIC vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nmcorp33

MS4
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDNers,
I am sort of in conundrum. I am currently accepted at UIC and I was recently offered a spot at Loyola medical school. What is your opinion on these two medical schools? Any advice would help at this point.

Nelson

Members don't see this ad.

I think this choice really comes down to what you are specifically looking for from your medical school experience.

Both schools will offer you good clinical as well as basic science training. I personally would give a little bit of an edge to Loyola in terms of facilities and class camarderie. I also think Loyola's focus on religion with medicine is interesting, although that might not be everyone's cup of tea. I have several friends at both schools, and while the UIC people have nothing really bad to say, my Loyola friends can't say enough good things.

If all else fails, you should also consider the costs. Are you in-state? That alone might be another reason to consider UIC.

Good luck!

I would agree with what the above poster said. The two schools are quite comparable and both very good. All else being equal, I would give UIC the nod if you are interested in doing research while in school.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey there, i had to make this exact decision for may 15th, and I wavered back and forth lots of times, but ended up choosing loyola. Feel free to pm me if you want to hear anything specific about how I came to my decision. But like everyone else said, it totally depends on what you are looking for. I think the cost difference was also like 70k over 4 years, but if you are in-state you have a decent chance at the Illinois General Assembly Scholarships, which helps for UIC. Anyway, pm me or post back if you like, and good luck with your decision.

Currently I am a instate resident. I am definately interested in clinical medicine. Research is okay, but it isn't something that I get excited abbout at the end of the day. The only thing that I really don't like about Loyola is that there really is no campus for the students. It is simply the building. I know that people have many wonderful things to say about Loyola, but they also start school I think at the end of July which is 3 days after I come back from a trip abroad. Also it is located in the city and I am more of suburb kind of guy.

Additionally, for UIC, I am on the Champaign-Rockford track which isn't too bad given what I have read from the forums. At first I was really hesistant, but now I realize that there will be a lot of opportunities in both places. I keep on hearing that it is hard and I don't know how much of this is a scare tactic by students. All medical schools are hard and I can't believe that UIC is any harder than say Loyola. They really shouldn't be weeding out people, but this is what I keep on hearing from people.... Nevertheless, I have to make my decision by Monday. Thank you for your replies and if you have anything else to add or if you could answer the one question I have below it would help greatly.

Do any of you know which school may have better residencies and retention rate of students?

Just wanted to let you know that Loyola isn't in the city, it's in Maywood. I have never been to Maywood, but I definitely know it's not the city.

UIC was 10 grand cheaper for the first year but they also charge for two summers practically making two years the same. The overall difference, in my opinion, is on the order of 20 grand or even 10 grand if you get the Loyola gift when you graduate (0-10grand depending of who has the most debt). This is insignificant so definitely go where you will be happiest. I just signed a lease in Berwyn so it will be suburban life for me. Being 7 miles from the city has its advantages. Loyola has beatiful factilities and they are extremely organized. Everyone works together and helps each other out through mentorships, etc. Loyola mixes lecture and small group so it does not get monotonous. There is usually one main class at a time with an ethics class. For instance, cell biology for the first couple of months and then anatomy until christmas. Not having to balance 5 different classes at a time is helpful. Go where you will be happy- a summer trip running late should have absolutely no bearing on such an important decision.

I would love to go to Loyola over U of I - Chicago. I am definitely a suburb/rural kind of guy, though. Consider the environment, housing costs, curriculum structure, class attitude, etc.

Well in my opinion Loyola is pretty much the city. It has a lot of crime and is a hybrid between the suburbs and chicago.

It seems you have your heart set on going to UIC and you feel most comfortable there. The bottom line is that both schools have good reputations but one costs noticeably less than the other. Also you said you enjoyed the location of UIC more. Go where you feel you will be most comfortable.
Hope that helps :)