UIC vs UM ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mintfish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got accepted to both UIC and UM, and I am having difficulty deciding between the two. Could anyone familiar with either school offer the pros and cons of each school?

Also any comments on living conditions around the area?

Members don't see this ad.

are you instate for any of them? I am debating between my instate school vs. michigan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am out of state for both.

Ok then I will just list quick facts for both school

Illinois - Chicago
- bigger class
- big city - more opportunities, better social/quality of life, but crazy traffic.
- bit more expensive living cost
- 3 (i think) other pharmacy schools in Chicago

Michigan
- Smaller class
- College town
- ~50% of the class to residency
- Better reputation
- One pharmacy school nearby (in Detroit)

I believe tuition for out of state is about the same and it is pretty much impossible to get state residency for both. (unless you get married to a person with state residency respectively)

Ok then I will just list quick facts for both school

Illinois - Chicago
- bigger class
- big city - more opportunities, better social/quality of life, but crazy traffic.
- bit more expensive living cost
- 3 (i think) other pharmacy schools in Chicago

Michigan
- Smaller class
- College town
- ~50% of the class to residency
- Better reputation
- One pharmacy school nearby (in Detroit)

I believe tuition for out of state is about the same and it is pretty much impossible to get state residency for both. (unless you get married to a person with state residency respectively)

For Chicago, what do you mean by "more opportunities" ?
If Michigan has a better reputation and a higher percentage going into residency, wouldn't it mean that Michigan has an equally good number of opportunities?

As someone who is currently at UIC, I say go to UM. I regret my choice to some extent.

How come?

To sum it up in one sentence: it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

One reason, from my experience, is the disorganization shown during the admissions process rears its head from time to time.

To sum it up in one sentence: it isn't all it's cracked up to be.

One reason, from my experience, is the disorganization shown during the admissions process rears its head from time to time.

I have to decide too...Is it cut throat? Are you having issues with financial aid going through? Is it just admin problem or the class atmosphere? I would like to go clinical so I am leaning toward UIC but I am would have to commute 1hr (one-way) to get there. Wondering if it will be worth it all.

For Chicago, what do you mean by "more opportunities" ?
If Michigan has a better reputation and a higher percentage going into residency, wouldn't it mean that Michigan has an equally good number of opportunities?

What I mean by more opportunities is that UIC students probably have more diverse choice to intern/work throughout your school year compared to students in Michigan because it is located in Chicago (also countless numbers of hospitals) Also that so many pharmacy schools are accumulated in that area, it might be easier to make connection as well.

I have to decide too...Is it cut throat? Are you having issues with financial aid going through? Is it just admin problem or the class atmosphere? I would like to go clinical so I am leaning toward UIC but I am would have to commute 1hr (one-way) to get there. Wondering if it will be worth it all.

Sorry for the late reply but I'll answer your questions.

1. Is it cut throat? This depends on your definition. If you mean classes/grading: it's more like you don't know if its going to be cut throat or not. Let me give an example: I was talking with one the p2's about a paper he wrote for one of his classes. He made a few mistakes but earned a decent grade. He then compared it another p2 who more or less made the same mistakes, but received a much lower score. The reason, according to the p2, was because they were graded by different preceptors. The later had a more critical preceptor, yet in the end, this will not be reflected on the final grade. It's basically "luck" as this p2 put it, which annoys me the most about UIC.

2. Financial aid is straight forward and not too much trouble personally.

3. In terms of class atmosphere and admin? Man, I could rant on this forever. Basically, for a prestigious college of pharmacy, you don't get that feeling form either students or faculty. Students (p1, p2, p3) tend to form their own cliques and if you're not part of it, you're ignored basically. To give an example: I asked if I could study with this one group and they gave me the cold shoulder. Faculty is somewhat similar: you hear professionalism yet you have disorganization, confusion, poor communication skills, lateness and at times a condescending attitude by some of the lecturers. However, it's not all doom and gloom: the good lecturers are fantastic. I wish I had these lecturers during undergrad because their presenting skills are top notch and make me not regret my choice.

In spite of those lecturers, UIC has me on a sour note. I could go on and on, but this is from my point of view. If I had to do the admission process again, I would have chosen another pharmacy school. With that said, your experience might different, so think carefully about your choice.