UICOM vs Hackensack

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightcurtainblue

Reaction score
University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM)
Pros
  • City setting
  • More breaks and vacations (1 month off opposed to 2 weeks at Hackensack)
  • More established and it would probably be easier to build a portfolio for more competitive residencies if I were to choose it
  • Commute would be way easier for us. I don't know how to drive so I would have to learn for Hackensack and I would have to buy a car. For UIC I can rely on public transportation a little longer and take my time to learn how to drive.
  • Cost of living is cheaper
  • I like that classes are recorded and I can choose not to go in person if I deem that this going in person is not my best learning strategy. Hackensack is in person I believe
  • Exams include NBME questions

Cons
  • OOS, so will need to pay the full tuition. Received no scholarship
  • Also being away from NYC will mean:
    • My spouse will need to look for new work given remote work isn't possible (spouse works in tech which isn't doing super well these days)
    • Being away from our support system of family and friends

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine (HMSOM)
Pros
  • NYC (close, but not exactly in NYC) - closer to family and friends. Spouse will get to keep a guaranteed job while I attend school.
  • Got a 50% scholarship, so I'll only need to pay half of the tuition

Cons
  • Options for competitive residencies seem more narrowed down as opposed to UICOM.
  • Accelerated curriculum is honestly a bit daunting. The fact that Step 1 + 2 are back to back and less vacation time makes me concerned that I won't perform as well
  • [small con/non-dealbreaker] Will need to drive given Hackensack is in NJ whereas I prefer public transportation like NYC/Chicago
--

Summary: My spouse and I are looking for two main goals - (a) to have my spouse have a career wherever we go and (b) to attend a school that can make me competitive for residency in NYC, given NYC is where our support system is and where we'd like to grow our careers. Hackensack is obviously closer and much cheaper than UICOM, and my spouse won't have to look for new work, but the academics and match list of UICOM are honestly very luring - if UICOM didn't charge full price, or if the tech industry wasn't as down as it was so my spouse could quickly new work, I'd pick UICOM over Hackensack in a heartbeat. At the end of the day, we're honestly open to attending either school but would like thoughts from the community on this. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Need pretty clear which school based on your summary

Reactions: 1 user
University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM)
Pros
  • City setting
  • More breaks and vacations (1 month off opposed to 2 weeks at Hackensack)
  • More established and it would probably be easier to build a portfolio for more competitive residencies if I were to choose it
  • Commute would be way easier for us. I don't know how to drive so I would have to learn for Hackensack and I would have to buy a car. For UIC I can rely on public transportation a little longer and take my time to learn how to drive.
  • Cost of living is cheaper
  • I like that classes are recorded and I can choose not to go in person if I deem that this going in person is not my best learning strategy. Hackensack is in person I believe
  • Exams include NBME questions

Cons
  • OOS, so will need to pay the full tuition. Received no scholarship
  • Also being away from NYC will mean:
    • My spouse will need to look for new work given remote work isn't possible (spouse works in tech which isn't doing super well these days)
    • Being away from our support system of family and friends

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine (HMSOM)
Pros
  • NYC (close, but not exactly in NYC) - closer to family and friends. Spouse will get to keep a guaranteed job while I attend school.
  • Got a 50% scholarship, so I'll only need to pay half of the tuition

Cons
  • Options for competitive residencies seem more narrowed down as opposed to UICOM.
  • Accelerated curriculum is honestly a bit daunting. The fact that Step 1 + 2 are back to back and less vacation time makes me concerned that I won't perform as well
  • [small con/non-dealbreaker] Will need to drive given Hackensack is in NJ whereas I prefer public transportation like NYC/Chicago
--

Summary: My spouse and I are looking for two main goals - (a) to have my spouse have a career wherever we go and (b) to attend a school that can make me competitive for residency in NYC, given NYC is where our support system is and where we'd like to grow our careers. Hackensack is obviously closer and much cheaper than UICOM, and my spouse won't have to look for new work, but the academics and match list of UICOM are honestly very luring - if UICOM didn't charge full price, or if the tech industry wasn't as down as it was so my spouse could quickly new work, I'd pick UICOM over Hackensack in a heartbeat. At the end of the day, we're honestly open to attending either school but would like thoughts from the community on this. Thank you!

It seems pretty clear which one you are leaning towards.

Hackensack all the way! You'll have less debt, your spouse won't be stressed about finding work in this tough job market (happy wife = happy life, especially during medical school), and on top of that you have a whole support system in NYC which is super vital considering how stressful school can get. I could not survive without my friends, family, and happy spouse by my side. It looks like you are already very established in NYC! In state tuition all the way, UICOM OOS tuition is exorbitantly high. I think the decision is clear here and I think you know it too!