UIWRSO or MCPHS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-optometry student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not sure which optometry school to choose. If anyone could give me feed back about the pros and cons of each of the schools that would be really appreciated. Which school has better externship opportunities? If i want to go to MCPHS I have to give them a decision by the 28th of November! So if anyone has any advice about either of these schools please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at both and chose UIWRSO. It feels more familial there (current students and staff were awesome) and you would want to be in a supportive place for the next four years of your life. Good luck!

MCPHS student here, lemme know if you have any questions I can answer

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you tell me more about the externship experience at MCPHS? Do you get to choose your externships and how many do you get to choose from? Also, did you choose to live on campus and what do you like most about the school? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

I interviewed at both and chose UIWRSO. It feels more familial there (current students and staff were awesome) and you would want to be in a supportive place for the next four years of your life. Good luck!
The only think about UIWRSO that bothers me is that you have to do one of your externships at the school. I like most things about the school but that is the one thing that is really bothering me.

Could you tell me more about the externship experience at MCPHS? Do you get to choose your externships and how many do you get to choose from? Also, did you choose to live on campus and what do you like most about the school? Thanks for your help I really appreciate it!

I'm only in 2nd year so I haven't had to pick externships yet. A couple friends have, and they just ranked their top ones and sent them in and the school picked from there as far as I can understand. From what I can tell, there was a good amount of them - in different areas of the country and in different specialites... but still, not much experience there, sorry!
I chose to live on campus in the apartments. They are nice apartments (fully furnished, full bed, etc) but they're expensive IMO. I pay what comes out to be around $1k/month everything included; you can find some lower-end very basic apartments in worcester for $1100/mo total for a 3bedroom. Guess it factors in furniture, and utilities and convenience... I also don't like all the rules attached to the apartment, but I guess I signed up for that (they're also an undergrad campus in Boston so they have a blanket housing contract for things like no more than 2 overnight guests in 10 night stay, etc).
Overall, I like the school for the most part. There are some growing pains and some annoying things, but I guess that's to be expected. We've had a good experience with professors, clinics, etc. My only issues since I've been here have been with the school not the optometry program (I've been dealing with financial aid, health insurance and housing, but again - pretty common things to get annoyed at haha).
Anything else I can help with let me know!

Optometrylove, I was just accepted into UIWRSO as well as another school, could you tell me more about your personal experience with RSO and living in San Antonio? I realize there will be pros and cons to any school you choose, but what are some cons that you have experienced in the last year? I have a week and a half to decide and its such a big life decision!

The only think about UIWRSO that bothers me is that you have to do one of your externships at the school. I like most things about the school but that is the one thing that is really bothering me.
I could see that - but I think it's due to their managing the Light House for the Blind and helping with other clinics in San Antonio

Optometrylove, I was just accepted into UIWRSO as well as another school, could you tell me more about your personal experience with RSO and living in San Antonio? I realize there will be pros and cons to any school you choose, but what are some cons that you have experienced in the last year? I have a week and a half to decide and its such a big life decision!

San Antonio is nice, and the school feels very safe, we haven't had any problems. I'm about 1,200 miles from home and I feel pretty comfortable here. In my opinion there aren't any huge red flags as far as the education goes. Cons somewhat depend on your personality type. If you are looking for a school where the instructors are really open and caring UIW is great. Always an open door policy. A negative you might hear is one of our classes was taken over by an instructor who normally teaches upperclassman, wAs really difficult. In my opinion it was extremely difficult but we will be very prepared for boards when we get there.

I don't think doing an internship with the school will hold you back. San Antonio has a very large diabetic population so you will be well versed in that area. The main clinic is built in an area with one optometrist so you will be serving a community that is greatly underserved.

Hi, could you tell me more about the externship experiences? Also, do a lot of students have trouble finding jobs after graduation?

Given I'm a first year I can't give you much detail about externships right now. I do know that it is somewhat based on your class rank, so the higher you are the better your chances of getting the site you want. You do have to do one of your rotations through the school where you serve a highly underserved area with a high diabetic population. I know the have sites set up with different areas of practice, (VA, vision therapy, hospitals, private practice). Also attached to the school is an opthamologist's office where some of the 4th years work if that interests you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it hard to find jobs after graduation depending on what school you go to?

Depends on who you talk to. The optometrist I worked for before going to school was of the opinion that it doesn't matter what school you go to as long as you're good at your job.

Also, how would you describe life in San Antonio? What are the pros and cons of living there? Is it too hot there in the summer? How much dose the average apartment cost and can you find furnished apartments? How far do most students live from the school? What is the worst thing about the school?

Also, how would you describe life in San Antonio? What are the pros and cons of living there? Is it too hot there in the summer? How much dose the average apartment cost and can you find furnished apartments? How far do most students live from the school? What is the worst thing about the school?

I don't live in San Antonio yet, but because I was recently accepted, I'm in the process of searching for an apartment. There is an apartment complex called Hill Country Place (or something like that) that is across the street from UTSA, and it is fully furnished. Right now, a 4BR/4BA is like $555 per month, a 2BR/2BA is $655, and a 1BR/1BA is $950. It's about 10 minutes away from UIWRSO. But there are quite a few apartment complexes nearby.

I currently live in Dallas. I've lived in Texas my whole life, so the weather isn't going to be a big deal for me when I go to San Antonio. That being said, summers are pretty hot here; it's usually in the 80°s and 90°s. There are times when it's at 100°, and there are times where it's in the 70°s (❤). I know some people who have moved here from up North, and they love the weather here. And of course sometimes it sucks. Lol. "If you don't like the weather in Texas, just wait 5 minutes and it'll change."

I can't really answer anything else since I'm not a current student yet. . . ☺

The part of San Antonio I live in and where the school is is pretty good. Pretty sure the locals say it's the nicest part of the whole city. If your not used to a ton of traffic it's a bit of an adjustment but you definately get used to it. The summer is hot obviously but everything is air conditioned constantly so it's really not that bad. My apartment is about 1,000 a month which is a lot more than I'm used to but I'm also paying for a gated community so I suppose it's not too bad. I'm sure you can find furnished apartments but I furnished mine so I didn't look into it much. I live about 3 minutes from school but it takes 10 or 12 minutes to get there on the week days because of the traffic (I live near two high schools). Most people live fairly close. Farthest is probably like 30 min. But that was too far for me giving how frequently I drive to school (6 or 7 days a week).

$950 or $1000 is a little high, I was hoping apartments would be cheaper in San Antonio then in Worcester. My parents are going to be paying for my apartment so I am trying to keep it on the cheaper end, but I don't want to have roommates.

$950 or $1000 is a little high, I was hoping apartments would be cheaper in San Antonio then in Worcester. My parents are going to be paying for my apartment so I am trying to keep it on the cheaper end, but I don't want to have roommates.

Yeah, $950-$1000 is pretty high, but I have been looking around at quite a few places; I have seen a range of around $500 to over $1000. How much you choose to pay depends on what's important to you (location, security, upgrades, furnishings, etc). I would like to go the cheaper route, but then again I don't want to compromise my safety and security, so I may go for a place that is gated, which will cost more.

The part of San Antonio I live in and where the school is is pretty good. Pretty sure the locals say it's the nicest part of the whole city. If your not used to a ton of traffic it's a bit of an adjustment but you definately get used to it. The summer is hot obviously but everything is air conditioned constantly so it's really not that bad. My apartment is about 1,000 a month which is a lot more than I'm used to but I'm also paying for a gated community so I suppose it's not too bad. I'm sure you can find furnished apartments but I furnished mine so I didn't look into it much. I live about 3 minutes from school but it takes 10 or 12 minutes to get there on the week days because of the traffic (I live near two high schools). Most people live fairly close. Farthest is probably like 30 min. But that was too far for me giving how frequently I drive to school (6 or 7 days a week).

Do you plan on staying where you live now for the next four years, or would you consider rooming with one of your classmates in order to pay less rent? If not, do you know if others do that?

The reason I pay 1,000 is because of my gated community which is very nice and quiet and I really like it there. You can definately find a place to pay less it's just up to you as far as what you are willing to live without.

Do you plan on staying where you live now for the next four years, or would you consider rooming with one of your classmates in order to pay less rent? If not, do you know if others do that?

Yes I do plan to stay where in at for the next four years. Proximity and safety are important to me and I've found a good mix of both. I do not plan on ever getting roommates given my husband will be moving with me soon, however several of my classmates are roommates with each other so it is not uncommon, and people are definately always interested in saving money.

Reactions: 1 user
Dose the snow in the winter make it hard for people to make it to class?

If it's bad, they'll cancel/delay like any regular school. We had a few snow days last winter; but usually it's just like any place with school. Know how to drive in the snow, it is New England after all lol.

I know this is a little bit late, but I figured I should post a bit about UIW in case any other perspective students are checking out these threads. There are a lot of pros and cons to any school you go to. I will not list them all here. Message me if you are interested in knowing more. Here is a major pro about UIW that you would not know about unless you were a first year student in the c/o 2019:

You WILL know and understand the COMPLETE in's and out's to "Optics" class. Most of the applicants are biology/chemistry/psychology majors (...note that most of us are NOT physics majors, if you are, congrats that's awesome!). Going into school, "Optics" class was my biggest fear. I was afraid that either I wouldn't understand what was going on in class and struggle, or that I would be so busy with my other classes that I would memorize and dump and not be prepared for my boards later.

If you attend RSO you WILL learn optics, no doubt about it. Optics is a major part of your boards examination. I cannot speak for the other schools, maybe their Optics program is just as intense? All I know is that "Optics" at RSO will challenge you to learn concepts that you would not simply understand by learning formulas and applying them (...which you will no doubt also do). The class will reveal so many clinical correlates that you never would have imagined math could be applied to.

I can confidently say that after my first semester of Optics that I could teach anyone EVERYTHING that I learned and somehow relate everything I learned to solving clinical problems. I am thankful for my Optics education because I know how important it will be for boards as well as for when I practice. I know this was just an introductory course and that I have been raving about it but seriously... for someone who struggled a bit through physics in undergrad, I was impressed at how well, such arduous material was taught.

Reactions: 1 users
I know this is a little bit late, but I figured I should post a bit about UIW in case any other perspective students are checking out these threads. There are a lot of pros and cons to any school you go to. I will not list them all here. Message me if you are interested in knowing more. Here is a major pro about UIW that you would not know about unless you were a first year student in the c/o 2019:

You WILL know and understand the COMPLETE in's and out's to "Optics" class. Most of the applicants are biology/chemistry/psychology majors (...note that most of us are NOT physics majors, if you are, congrats that's awesome!). Going into school, "Optics" class was my biggest fear. I was afraid that either I wouldn't understand what was going on in class and struggle, or that I would be so busy with my other classes that I would memorize and dump and not be prepared for my boards later.

If you attend RSO you WILL learn optics, no doubt about it. Optics is a major part of your boards examination. I cannot speak for the other schools, maybe their Optics program is just as intense? All I know is that "Optics" at RSO will challenge you to learn concepts that you would not simply understand by learning formulas and applying them (...which you will no doubt also do). The class will reveal so many clinical correlates that you never would have imagined math could be applied to.

I can confidently say that after my first semester of Optics that I could teach anyone EVERYTHING that I learned and somehow relate everything I learned to solving clinical problems. I am thankful for my Optics education because I know how important it will be for boards as well as for when I practice. I know this was just an introductory course and that I have been raving about it but seriously... for someone who struggled a bit through physics in undergrad, I was impressed at how well, such arduous material was taught.

Extremely accurate.

Hey kayrayy, I'm not sure if this is off topic but how is dorming? Is it a nice area? Nice people? Would you recommend living in Borysek or Lincoln?