UK Foundation Programme 2019 - PLABs and Visa Discussion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thelegend23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Canadian citizen who completed medical school in EU (not UK). I graduated from medical school this summer and have not started my internship yet. I am applying for the UK Foundation Programme this year (starting July/August 2019). So far, my application has been going smoothly.

- I passed IELTS with minimum 7.5 in each category
- I fulfilled the eligibility criteria for applying to UKFP
- I passed PLAB 1

Things that I still have to do:

- Situational judgment test (SJT)
- PLAB 2
- Get the UK work visa

My questions are:

1) When do I have to do PLAB 2 by? The applicant handbook does not mention any deadlines for it. The only available dates on the GMC website are in June 2019, so I need to book mine quickly.

2) As a Canadian (non-EU citizen), what kind of visa do I need to obtain? I need to provide an evidence for right to work (RTW) in the UK by February 28th, 2019.

I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

How old are you, could you get the under 30 Commonwealth visa?

Youth Mobility Scheme visa (Tier 5)

It does say that you may not work as a doctor unless qualified in UK, but does that mean after succeeding with PLAB you are eligible? Maybe this is something you could look into a little more, but I don't think I could help you with anything further.

To follow up on this I found some more interesting information, specifically about visa sponsorship for non EU EEA nationals.

Right to Work | UK Foundation Programme

It requires you to email sponsorship contacts depending on where you intend on completing your internship.