UK or US medical school ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaga

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m an international and want to know Which Medical school system is better the US or UK?

Reasons why UK (MBBS) :

1.6 years straight out of high school (saving 2 years of unnecessary and waste undergraduate)
2. Their research and famous British journals (I can take my time publishing research)
3. Tuition fees less than the US.
4. People’s respect (I don’t get complains as much as US physicians)
5. Strong residency programs and post-graduate studies.
6. No insurance companies and lawsuit (no walking in eggshells)

Reasons why US (MD) :

1.Because I want to work in the US.
2. Scoring more than 270 in USMLE will be much easier. ( dunno if this is true ??)
3. Fewer years in residency and fellowship until becoming attending.( unlike UK 10-15 years)
4. Because I want to go to the top residency programs in the US.
5. High salary when becoming an attending.
6. Living costs less than UK

Which system is making better physicians academically?

Is it easy to study in the UK and come back to the US with acing the USMLE? Or impossible because it’s not the same curriculum?

Do Americans let international students enter BS/MD 6 year programs? Because I got 6.5 in IELTS and 1300 something in SAT (don’t judge me I’m not English)

Can I get to the top residency programs in US with UK degree? Does my university have to be prestigious? Because in my country they have MBBS but not prestigious. A letter of recommendation in a UK University is better than whatever country. But can I get into top residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Learn to google first, all of this is easily found out.

I think your list suggests you would prefer the US