UMB......should I bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovergurl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, so I want to apply to University of Baltimore Pharmacy School this year for fall of 2013 but I just took my Pcats recently and I didn't do so great and I know that UMB looks at 70 or above Pcats most of the time. I just want some opinions on whether I should bother applying with my stats or if I should just focus on other schools.

My stats:

GPA: 3.95
Science GPA: 4.0
Pcat: 40 %
Experience: Internship at Walgreens Pharmacy for a summer, recently got a job at a pharmacy where they train you to become a Pharm Tech, Tutoring
Volunteer: I do volunteer every summer at my local nursing home since middle school and I do community service for my school club
Extra-Cir.: Involved in about 4 clubs, 2 science ones and the others are for community service and/or fun......I plan on joining more this semester to put on my application though I haven't had a leadership position.....does that hurt me?
LOR: I have atleast 3 teachers that love me and would write me great recommendations

So, what do you guys think? Is that Pcat score gonna ruin any chance for me? I don't know how much emphasis UMB puts on the scores but I'm guessing it's alot since they look at high scores. Do I have enough Extra-Cir and experience to even be considered competitive? I just need some advice because I'm really nervous that I might not have a shot and I really want to go to this school :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should retake your PCATs. Just study really hard and retake them.

You are solid. If you applied to Cali schools, you'd be fine because they don't even look at your PCAT.

Also no offence, but how did you get a 40 when your GPA is so high?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are solid. If you applied to Cali schools, you'd be fine because they don't even look at your PCAT.

Also no offence, but how did you get a 40 when your GPA is so high?

That's honestly what I'm trying to figure out. Idk if I just psyched myself out or something bc I'm not that great at standardized test since I get very nervous and panicy (I get like this during normal tests too but I'm usually able to calm down enough to get As on them and do fine but I really do freak out right before, my hands get sweaty and my paper is soaked by the end of it.....I put intense amount of pressure on myself to do well so you can only guess my disappointment at my score)......time management was also a problem for me, I knew the content well enough but I kept running out of time even though I did fine on the practice tests. I swear I'm smart and have retained most of the stuff I've learned, it just doesn't show on my PCAT which sucks :(

CA schools are too far for me but other schools are fine, I'm looking at Sullivan and Florida A &M for non PCAT schools and as for my in state schools:

UMB: They want 70-80 so I think my chances are pretty slim to non there
Howard: no minimum
Notre Dame: prefer 50> but not required afaik
UM Eastern Shore: 40 or higher

Think I got a shot at any of these? I can't believe I'm in this situation, I've never failed at anything before....hope they give me the benefit of the doubt

Dear Lovergurl,

I am a student at UMB. I would retake the PCAT. I heard there is a special testing time in November this year. Please get on and look to verify this. Also UMB is taking Jan scores this year as well. Retake the test. I have many friends who got a low score the first time and retook to get a great score. Sometimes just knowing the test helps a lot. It is a grueling marathon that can really psych some people out.

That being said......I have classmates who have less than stellar PCAT scores because UMB looks at the whole picture. It is a great school and my classmates have some pretty impressive resumes. Sometimes I look at myself and wonder how did I get in with them? Apply to Maryland because you might be surprised. The interview process is very important to them and your ability to perform in the group project, write the essay and interview well mean something to them. Your grades also mean something to them. They are looking for well rounded people I think, so make sure you include all your extracurricular activities on your pharmcas.

I wish you the very best in your application process. I also encourage you to consider other great schools in the area. I applied at some other schools and feel I would have been just as happy at some of them in the end. I chose UMB in the end because of the great facilities and the cost factor. Shenandoah really impressed me. Notre Dame also was very impressive. I actually really felt the dean at Howard, Dr. Wutah, was taking the school in very positive directions. All the places lead to a pharmD. OF course now that I am at Maryland, I do not regret my choice to go there one bit. It is all the positive things people said of it. The curriculum is very thought out and comprehensive. The research happening here is exciting. Wherever you end up will be great for you. Good Luck,

Dear Lovergurl,

I am a student at UMB. I would retake the PCAT. I heard there is a special testing time in November this year. Please get on and look to verify this. Also UMB is taking Jan scores this year as well. Retake the test. I have many friends who got a low score the first time and retook to get a great score. Sometimes just knowing the test helps a lot. It is a grueling marathon that can really psych some people out.

That being said......I have classmates who have less than stellar PCAT scores because UMB looks at the whole picture. It is a great school and my classmates have some pretty impressive resumes. Sometimes I look at myself and wonder how did I get in with them? Apply to Maryland because you might be surprised. The interview process is very important to them and your ability to perform in the group project, write the essay and interview well mean something to them. Your grades also mean something to them. They are looking for well rounded people I think, so make sure you include all your extracurricular activities on your pharmcas.

I wish you the very best in your application process. I also encourage you to consider other great schools in the area. I applied at some other schools and feel I would have been just as happy at some of them in the end. I chose UMB in the end because of the great facilities and the cost factor. Shenandoah really impressed me. Notre Dame also was very impressive. I actually really felt the dean at Howard, Dr. Wutah, was taking the school in very positive directions. All the places lead to a pharmD. OF course now that I am at Maryland, I do not regret my choice to go there one bit. It is all the positive things people said of it. The curriculum is very thought out and comprehensive. The research happening here is exciting. Wherever you end up will be great for you. Good Luck,

I retook it in Sept and got a lower score so I'm debating whether I should retake it in Jan since I won't have much studying time to devote to it and I might end up bombing a third time which would not make things any better : (. Do you think I should take the chance?

I retook it in Sept and got a lower score so I'm debating whether I should retake it in Jan since I won't have much studying time to devote to it and I might end up bombing a third time which would not make things any better : (. Do you think I should take the chance?

Do it. What's life without risk? Plus, like someone said earlier, you have an amazing chance of getting into non-PCAT schools. You have nothing to lose.

You might as well retake another time, but the school would know how many times you took the test. Try not take as many.

It sucks that you get nervous and stuff. NAPLEX after you graduate pharm school is going to be like this and on a higher level. So brace yourself.

you might as well get used to taking test