Umbrella ELLA ELLA ! lol

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nupe954

Make it happen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think?

5-Days-After-Sex Pill Gets FDA Panel Nod

Experts Advise FDA to Approve a New Emergency Contraceptive Called Ella
By Daniel J. DeNoon
WebMD Health News

Reviewed By Laura J. Martin, MD
June 17, 2010 -- A new emergency contraceptive fully effective for five days after sex should be approved by the FDA, the federal agency's expert advisory panel says.
By 11-0 votes, the panel found Ella to be safe and effective.
The drug, to be called Ella in the U.S., already is approved in Europe and sold there as EllaOne.
Currently, the only other approved emergency contraceptive is Plan B. Although Ella likely will be available only by prescription, Plan B is approved for over-the-counter sale to women aged 17 and older. Women younger than age 17 must have a prescription.

The two emergency contraceptives work differently:
  • Plan B contains levonorgestrel, a progestin hormone used in lower doses in many birth control pills.
  • Ella contains ulipristal, a non-hormonal drug that blocks the effects of key hormones necessary for conception.
  • Plan B should be taken as soon as possible after sex. It may work for up to 72 hours, but is ineffective once the hormonal surge that leads to ovulation occurs.
  • Although emergency contraception should not be delayed, Ella's efficacy does not fade for 120 hours (five days) after sex, regardless of whether the hormonal surge has occurred.
One possibly serious drawback to Ella is that it may be less effective in obese women. In a 6-5 vote, the panel said no specific labeling should be required to address this issue.
The most common side effects of Ella are nausea, headache, painful menstruation, abdominal pain, fatigue, and dizziness.
Can Ella Cause Abortion?

Ella belongs to a class of drugs called selective progesterone receptor modulators. The only other approved drug in this class is mifepristone, better known as RU-486. Mifepristone is approved for use as part of a regimen that induces abortion.
Because it is better absorbed by the body than mifepristone, Ella can be used at low doses that prevent conception but that should not cause abortion.
By a unanimous vote, the panel said there was no need for Ella to carry specific labeling warning against off-label use -- the use of a drug for a purpose other than the one for which it was approved. Nor was there a need for the manufacturer to conduct specific physician education on the issue.
It remains unclear whether Ella might increase the rate of spontaneous abortion in the few women who become pregnant despite using the drug.
Among women trying to become pregnant (and thus not taking emergency contraceptives), about 15% have a spontaneous abortion during the first trimester.
In clinical trials of Ella, 110 women who took the emergency contraceptive -- about 2% of study subjects -- became pregnant. As might be expected, 15% had spontaneous abortions. Another 66% had elective abortions, but for 12% of the women pregnancy results are not known.
"The actual spontaneous abortion rate could have ranged between 14% (assuming that none of these 11 pregnancies resulted in spontaneous abortion) to 27% (assuming all of these 11 pregnancies resulted in a spontaneous abortion)," FDA staff noted in a briefing document presented to the panel.
Nevertheless, the panel strongly recommended against requiring women to undergo a pregnancy test before taking Ella.
In Europe, HRA Pharma has established a post-approval study to gather information on pregnancy outcomes for women who take the drug. The panel recommended that the FDA make extension of this program to U.S. women a condition of approval.
Although the FDA is not required to follow the advice of its advisory panels, the favorable report submitted to the panel by FDA staff suggests that the agency will follow the panel's advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed.

I drive a Honda Element. I refer to it as my 'Ella.

Yeah, her option to have unprotected sex was her option.

It isn't always the case of having unprotected sex. And, even if it was, whose place is it to tell her not to use BC?

I also just *love* how the blame is always on the woman. It takes two to tango.

Classy, you're probably going to be one of those pharmacists that refuses to keep plan B on the shelf and when I float at your store I will be forced to order you 6-10 boxes to come via the wholesaler the next day. You can thank me later for ensuring you have the appropriate stocks to take care of your women customers.

It's too bad Ella will not be OTC, It'd have a much greater impact there.

Plan B? Oh, no, I don't feel like going to the pharmacy today, I'll wait a few more days. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why do you need that long? Are you on a deserted island for a romantic getaway, and you can't get to a pharmacy within 72 hours? And why not just use protection?

I guess I shouldn't complain, because the children that result from these poor decisions are likely to be another problem, so I guess two extra days to prevent their conception could be a good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plan B? Oh, no, I don't feel like going to the pharmacy today, I'll wait a few more days. :rolleyes:

Seriously, why do you need that long? Are you on a deserted island for a romantic getaway, and you can't get to a pharmacy within 72 hours? And why not just use protection?

I can see its potential in rural small town America where the only pharmacy in town is refuses to stock plan B for a variety of narrow-minded reasons. It may take the person a day or two to get to the next town over which has a pharmacy which stocks it. In the city I don't think it'd have as much impact but in the rural areas the extra 2 days may be a huge help

I can see its potential in rural small town America where the only pharmacy in town is refuses to stock plan B for a variety of narrow-minded reasons. It may take the person a day or two to get to the next town over which has a pharmacy which stocks it. In the city I don't think it'd have as much impact but in the rural areas the extra 2 days may be a huge help
I see the convenience aspect, but seriously, this should be a high priority. As in, if the pharmacy I'm in says "no" I'm immediately heading to another pharmacy, repeating prn until I get it. This really isn't a "oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better, I'll try again then" situation.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but come on, very few things in my life would come before NOT having a child now. Immediate threats to national security and loved ones are the only thing that would be above them, personally.

I see the convenience aspect, but seriously, this should be a high priority. As in, if the pharmacy I'm in says "no" I'm immediately heading to another pharmacy, repeating prn until I get it. This really isn't a "oh well, maybe tomorrow will be better, I'll try again then" situation.

Maybe I'm being too critical, but come on, very few things in my life would come before NOT having a child now. Immediate threats to national security and loved ones are the only thing that would be above them, personally.

I just wanted to point out how awesome it is that you rank threats to national security above needing plan b. :thumbup: I mean how often do you have to choose between saving the nation or taking plan b? :laugh: But I love that you have considered it and you choose national security.

I just wanted to point out how awesome it is that you rank threats to national security above needing plan b. :thumbup: I mean how often do you have to choose between saving the nation or taking plan b? :laugh: But I love that you have considered it and you choose national security.
I'll admit, I'm using my summer vacation to watch all 8 seasons of 24. I've never watched the show until I caught a few episodes of the final season and I thought it was great. So I guess you could come up with a Plan B action show called "72", stop the terrorists and get plan B... before time runs out!

I'll admit, I'm using my summer vacation to watch all 8 seasons of 24. I've never watched the show until I caught a few episodes of the final season and I thought it was great. So I guess you could come up with a Plan B action show called "72", stop the terrorists and get plan B... before time runs out!

:rofl::laugh:LMAO:laugh::rofl:

You have too much time on your hands.

I maintain that a nickel between the knees is still safer, cheaper, and more effective than any other form of contraception.

I maintain that a nickel between the knees is still safer, cheaper, and more effective than any other form of contraception.

Can you elaborate please on this method of contraception?

You could totally get around that. I'm not elaborating, but when there's a will there's a way.

You could totally get around that. I'm not elaborating, but when there's a will there's a way.

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

He mentions this method a lot, and I've mentioned that to him in person. We all know you need to use a "back-up" method. That's the only really safe way to go.

I didnt say I was against the drug, obviously there are cases where that happens and I think a raped women has the right to take it. I was implying the other 96% of those that would take this that were just to stupid or too drunk to wrap it up.

He mentions this method a lot, and I've mentioned that to him in person. We all know you need to use a "back-up" method. That's the only really safe way to go.

Most ways around it involve the nickel being displaced. Ergo, it's not a "way around it", it's just that you stopped using the method.

You'll notice I have no children. Bam. Me, 1. You, 0.

Most ways around it involve the nickel being displaced. Ergo, it's not a "way around it", it's just that you stopped using the method.

You'll notice I have no children. Bam. Me, 1. You, 0.

Nope. and zero children here as well.

Nickle between legs still allows 1 particularly common sexual position to be accomplished without impediment.

As far as on topic here, this is great news. Perhaps ideal for someone who says, "Eh, let's have a kid" and 2 1/2 days later, thinks "AHHHH NO WAYYYY."

Woot.

I'm with Mikey on this one.

Nickle between legs still allows 1 particularly common sexual position to be accomplished without impediment.
There's at least two very basic ones, I'm sure there are come complicated ones as well.

Umbrella?
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFzOwq5PldQ[/YOUTUBE]