UMDNJ Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

Just got off the phone with Paula after discussing my application. At first, I got Rachael but I was surprised that Paula got back to me so fast. Apparently, I scored low during the interview for leadership and for interest in the profession. I kinda talked her ear off how I felt UMDNJ was really right for me and she said she would talk to the head of the admissions committee and express my disappointment to them. At most I could expect to hear back with some more insight as to why they felt I wasnt even suitable for their waitlist.

I would have really liked mulligan on this one. O well. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

Just got off the phone with Paula after discussing my application. At first, I got Rachael but I was surprised that Paula got back to me so fast. Apparently, I scored low during the interview for leadership and for interest in the profession. I kinda talked her ear off how I felt UMDNJ was really right for me and she said she would talk to the head of the admissions committee and express my disappointment to them. At most I could expect to hear back with some more insight as to why they felt I wasnt even suitable for their waitlist.

I would have really liked mulligan on this one. O well. :rolleyes:

Very Interesting.I felt lukewarm when I came out of the UMDNJ interview and I guess the end result matched. Paula said I did "ok" in the interview at UMDNJ. Not sure what the grade was.
It's funny because I was scored very high in my interview at Touro-NY that the interviewers were very complimentary of me after the interview. In fact, I wasn't surprised when I was accepted because I knew coming out I did very well.
I guess interviews are crapshoots.You hit some and you miss some.

Yeah seems that way. Someone suggested that a write a letter and at this point it obviously couldn't hurt. I just don't understand this "leadership" stuff...do they expect me to be chair of a committee or something? I work full time, and after work I go volunteer. I barely have time for my friends or my family because I'm always working or volunteering and yet they're saying i have no interest in the profession. I'm...totally floored.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah seems that way. Someone suggested that a write a letter and at this point it obviously couldn't hurt. I just don't understand this "leadership" stuff...do they expect me to be chair of a committee or something? I work full time, and after work I go volunteer. I barely have time for my friends or my family because I'm always working or volunteering and yet they're saying i have no interest in the profession. I'm...totally floored.

I'm sorry your interviewers weren't able to see your passion for the profession. If you have interviews coming up, practice your answers to make sure you are getting the points across that you would like to. Keep knocking on UMDNJs door too. I hope the best for you.

Sorry to hear that Phenol, if you write the letter u can address ur leadership roles in other ways, i believe leadership comes in so many different forms....maybe while volunteering u stepped up to help someone with somein, u noticed something that needed to be addressed or improved and called it out or took measures to make it right. even at ur job think abt certain things u've done and people u have influenced in other ways (tutoring?). i believe being a chair or president doesn't necessarily make u a leader, it's rather how influential u r, how u help ppl/someone accomplish somein. I am sure u have a lot, just go thru everything u've done. goodluck, i think the letter is a good idea too if UMDNJ is ur top choice.

Is is possible for the adcoms to change their rejection into an acceptance??? If so, good luck.:)

:eek: Sorry about the news Phenol. Like clipMag said, "leadership" does come in different forms. I too would've used your tutoring experiences and provided a specific example of how you helped a student with one of their life problems. At least you do know what to say when another school asks you the same question. ;)

As for the "interest in profession", maybe they were talking about osteopathic medicine + overall interest in becoming a physician. DO schools really look for those who understand the tenets of osteopathy.

The one thing I learned about UMDNJ SOM from all this is the fact that although their interview is laid back, they do take it serious on their end when judging you, so don't let your guard down and make sure to be on your game. :cool:

As for the rest of you guys who are applying now, you can definitely apply, but it is getting later in the application cycle and thus it will be more competitive. Good luck to ya'll! :luck:

Is is possible for the adcoms to change their rejection into an acceptance??? If so, good luck.:)

fightclubmq8.gif

^ only if you try something like this...

LOL ok I thought there was some hope.

meh no use crying over spilt milk...or sour interviews. I still have 20+ schools that have yet to reject me. So I'll write my letter as time permits and in the meantime focus on my next interview and pray i get some more after that.

meh no use crying over spilt milk...or sour interviews. I still have 20+ schools that have yet to reject me. So I'll write my letter as time permits and in the meantime focus on my next interview and pray i get some more after that.

Well good luck with your other interviews you will get in so don't worry.:)

I have an interview @ UMDNJ on the 7th. I'm looking forward to it, but somebody told me that the school only accepts ~30% of the applicants they interview. Is there any truth to this? And what chances do OOS applicants really have?

I have an interview @ UMDNJ on the 7th. I'm looking forward to it, but somebody told me that the school only accepts ~30% of the applicants they interview. Is there any truth to this? And what chances do OOS applicants really have?

hey dozitgetchahi could you please tell me when your file was complete and when you heard back from UMDNJ for the interview? I've been complete for about 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
what medready said + do they send interview invites through email or snail mail?

I sent my secondary back to them in mid-September and then got a call inviting me to interview in early October. If I remember correctly, they never gave me any sort of indication that I was complete before I received the call. Statswise, I've got a 3.63 overall, 3.64 BCPM, 31P MCAT, good ECs and recs, and I'm OOS (Ohio).

I submitted my primary application in mid October and I haven't heard anything from UMDNJ. I am not sure if the school has received my application because aacoms just states that my application status is processing. So should I wait until UMDNJ asks me to submit secondary application or should I just submit? I heard that UMDNJ doesn't screen for secondary. Thank you for any advice.

I submitted my primary application in mid October and I haven't heard anything from UMDNJ. I am not sure if the school has received my application because aacoms just states that my application status is processing. So should I wait until UMDNJ asks me to submit secondary application or should I just submit? I heard that UMDNJ doesn't screen for secondary. Thank you for any advice.

UMDNJ, as well as every other school you applied to, does not have your primary application yet, and they probably will not get it for another 3 to 4 weeks. But, yea, UMDNJ does not screen, so start working on the application, which can be found on their website. When you are finished, I'd hold on to it for a few weeks, because if you submit it too early they might misplace it, maybe?

UMDNJ, as well as every other school you applied to, does not have your primary application yet, and they probably will not get it for another 3 to 4 weeks. But, yea, UMDNJ does not screen, so start working on the application, which can be found on their website. When you are finished, I'd hold on to it for a few weeks, because if you submit it too early they might misplace it, maybe?

Thanks. Will AACOM state that my primary application is verified when the application is sent to the schools? Or it will just state "PROCESSING"?

It will say "Verified." It should take 4-6 weeks after submitting your application to get verified.

Best of luck.

Hey guys! I mailed my secondary application in exactly one week ago and I just got a call for an interview. First interview, I'm stoked. :hardy:

Hey guys! I mailed my secondary application in exactly one week ago and I just got a call for an interview. First interview, I'm stoked. :hardy:

DANG that's super turn-around time! I've been waiting MUCH longer than that, u must have killer stats, nice work!

stats? if you don't mind.
:D

thanks

how long does umdnj interview students till? Is it too late to submit the secondary at this point?

how long does umdnj interview students till? Is it too late to submit the secondary at this point?

Like most schools I'm pretty sure they interview until March or April. You're not too late. I just sent my secondary in today. I'm sure you can check their website for the actual due date though.

stats? if you don't mind.
:D

thanks

Hey, sorry didn't see your comment before.

In state, 29 MCAT, 3.4 GPA, pretty strong med/volunteer experience, and from what I understand, my college has a good relationship with UMDNJ.

I think my stats are comparable to most others on the forum... needless to say I was pleasantly surprised that I got an interview so quickly.

Is the admissions office receptive to calls about application status?

current first year's average was: 3.6 & 29

Interviews may variate little but everyone I came across told me that they had a laid back interview. My advice: be personable, have interesting stories, be engaging, and show enthusiasm. :thumbup:

Interviewed yesterday - it was an interesting experience. The interviewer (a DO) was about 10 minutes late and was rather stern throughout the duration of the interview, making it hard to tell if I was doing alright or not. I think it went fairly well, even though I got tongue-tied a couple of times. As for the campus, it's gorgeous; everything appears to be either new or recently renovated, and the facilities seemed to be absolutely top-notch. (I thought their technology seemed to be even more up-to-date than DMU's, whose was pretty impressive in its own right.)

In short, I loved the school and would encourage anyone granted an interview to see what it's all about. I hope I get in, as it's now my top choice.

Is the admissions office receptive to calls about application status?

Yeah, I called and checked on my app and they were fine with it.

So, any idea what it takes to get some OOS love from UMDNJ? I've been complete for a little over a month and I haven't heard anything.

So, any idea what it takes to get some OOS love from UMDNJ? I've been complete for a little over a month and I haven't heard anything.

I'm OOS and I got an invite within about two weeks.

Surprisingly, the interviewer told me that UMDNJ only takes about 1/3 of the people it interviews. (At first she said only 10%, and I must have looked surprised because she then "recalculated" the numbers in her head and then came up with one third.) Sobering, at any rate.

that's strange, all of the students there told me they are more selective in inviting people to interview and if you do get an invite you have a pretty good chance to get in.
PS I am also from OOS, do you think that once you get an invite you are on equal footing with the in staters?

that's strange, all of the students there told me they are more selective in inviting people to interview and if you do get an invite you have a pretty good chance to get in.

Let's hope that's the case. I really liked the school.

Also, I've heard from several sources that the school regards OOS and in-state applicants about equally in the application process because of the fact that it's very easy to claim in-state status once you've been accepted :).

Very Interesting.I felt lukewarm when I came out of the UMDNJ interview and I guess the end result matched. Paula said I did "ok" in the interview at UMDNJ. Not sure what the grade was.
It's funny because I was scored very high in my interview at Touro-NY that the interviewers were very complimentary of me after the interview. In fact, I wasn't surprised when I was accepted because I knew coming out I did very well.
I guess interviews are crapshoots.You hit some and you miss some.
Just curious, what were your stats, because my stats are pretty good but my interview felt average

EMT2ER-DOC, do you have any information about what % of interviewed applicants get accepted? There seems to be very little consensus on this subject among the sources I've heard from.

Interviewed yesterday - it was an interesting experience. The interviewer (a DO) was about 10 minutes late and was rather stern throughout the duration of the interview, making it hard to tell if I was doing alright or not. I think it went fairly well, even though I got tongue-tied a couple of times. As for the campus, it's gorgeous; everything appears to be either new or recently renovated, and the facilities seemed to be absolutely top-notch. (I thought their technology seemed to be even more up-to-date than DMU's, whose was pretty impressive in its own right.)

In short, I loved the school and would encourage anyone granted an interview to see what it's all about. I hope I get in, as it's now my top choice.
was your interviwer Dr. Griesback? The med students there told me that everyone feels that they crash and burn by his interviews so no worries

EMT2ER-DOC, do you have any information about what % of interviewed applicants get accepted? There seems to be very little consensus on this subject among the sources I've heard from.

from what I remember, they generally accept 80% of the people interviewed. I would have to double check that answer. If you really want to know then call the office. However, do not worry about numbers. You need to worry about you.

If you properly prepare for the interview then there should not be a problem with an acceptance. The purpose of the interview is to meet you, make sure that you are who you say you are, and ensure that you really want to be here.

I got an email today saying I am complete, but funny thing is, they haven't cashed the check yet. It won't bother me either if they don't. Just wondering how long should I have to wait till I get an offer for an interview (hopefully)?

I am not sure if the adm com meets tomorrow (3rd fri of the month), if they are, Good luck to everyone. Just remember that they start calling after 3pm

Yes indeed - hopefully the committee is meeting tomorrow...good luck to all being reviewed :luck:

Damn heard nothing from them. Waiting is a bitch. I feel like if I call I'm going to hear nothing but "you're complete and your application is pending review"

Thanks, 1cupofcoffee. Congrats on your acceptance :)

Thank you rennykim. Make sure you get plenty of sleep tomorrow. I know how crazy that friday was for me. Don't sweat it if they don't call you at exactly 3...my call was at 4:02 pm lol

good luck to you all!

For everyone who got an invite, did you receieve an completion notice before being invited?

Status
Not open for further replies.