UMDNJ Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
woops, i broke my "essay" down into 1 and 2... oh well...

Members don't see this ad.

If they do offer to interview that soon, it's just an offer. I scheduled mine the week after and I'm in-state. I'm sure for out-of-state they'd be more than willing to arrange what would be best for you. They're very friendly.

I wouldn't worry about it. :)
i'm not really. i'm just hoping the fact that i was born in new jersey is considered a strong enough tie for them to take me seriously.

They extended me an interview invite as promised. They have many openings in early September it seems. Unfortunately I'm pretty booked and busy that month so I took a date in early October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would loooove an interview at this school! This and NYCOM are two of the my favorites. I want to stay in the metropolitan area, since I grew up here.

They extended me an interview invite as promised. They have many openings in early September it seems. Unfortunately I'm pretty booked and busy that month so I took a date in early October.

congrats! did they call you or email?

congrats! did they call you or email?

They called. I actually rescheduled and pushed the date up to Sept 9...this is going to hurt the piggy bank flying in from Chicago.

ohh ok, well the sooner the better so good luck! i got the same email you did a while ago so hopefully i hear from them soon:xf:

i know this is a wierd question but how long after you submitted your secondary did they finally charge your card/cash your check? Im thinking they might take a little while cause I sent my check to pcom like 3 weeks ago and they just cashed it. However I filled in my credit card so I'm warry of when. I get paid in 10 days but im worried that they might charge it asap lol and I don't want them to overdraft my account as it would be embarrasing.

Just got invited. What a day.. Only 1 pm and 3 interviews in the past few hours :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received a confirmation email or anything indicating they have processed your supplemental application? This school is a big question mark on my list.

They really need to show me some love and extend an interview. It's the only school I really want to go to that I am waiting for. Does anyone know if there won't be any more invites until later in the month when the committee meets again?

to everyone who's received an interview phone call -- did you receive the email yet?

ahh im waiting on this one.

@gatorfann14: can i ask why u really want to go to this school? just curious because i dont really hear too many people talk about this school. its def one of my top ones. did u used to live in nj?

Got my call for interview on 8/31 for 9/23. Anyone else going?

ahh im waiting on this one.

@gatorfann14: can i ask why u really want to go to this school? just curious because i dont really hear too many people talk about this school. its def one of my top ones. did u used to live in nj?

I was born in NJ and i'm ready to leave Florida and experience new things. I like that there is plenty of access to UMDNJ hospitals so that I can have early patient interactions. I also like that it isn't in a town like LMU-DCOM, which I don't think I could handle, so that there are plenty of things to do outside of the classroom.

Im having a really hard time describing why I like osteopathy and how it affects my future doctor page in the one page limit for the supplemental app. Did anyone go over the limit? Is it more of a guideline or a strict limit?

i know they got my secondary because they showed up on my credit card, but i havent heard a peep from them.

Interviewed today - very low key and relaxed. didnt even talk about my app or medicine lol.

For future reference, the admissions committee meets the 3rd friday of every month and will contact applicants that fri or following mon/tues depending on how many calls are to be made.

Decisions are made either by phone or snail mail (tho i think it might be email, i should have clarified).

Good luck to those.

*edit - and to those interested, 80% of the class is NJ residents, and everyone at the interviews today who i spoke to was from NJ. I think the receptionist said everyone was from NJ today. Class will be 151 and they have already had 2000 applicants*

Interviewed today - very low key and relaxed. didnt even talk about my app or medicine lol.

For future reference, the admissions committee meets the 3rd friday of every month and will contact applicants that fri or following mon/tues depending on how many calls are to be made.

Decisions are made either by phone or snail mail (tho i think it might be email, i should have clarified).

Good luck to those.

*edit - and to those interested, 80% of the class is NJ residents, and everyone at the interviews today who i spoke to was from NJ. I think the receptionist said everyone was from NJ today. Class will be 151 and they have already had 2000 applicants*

I interviewed today too, everyone seemed really nice and its def my top DO choice. robflanker I think you're the one I talked to after it was all over...about Drexel. See you in a few weeks!

Just out of curiosity, how many interviewees were there with you? I've heard it's a student and a committee member that sit in with you, is this true? My interview is the 23rd, you two are the only ones I've heard of to interview here so far.

There were 5 morning interviewees, and 5 in the afternoon. I think they mentioned that future interview sessions would be much larger, as I heard them talking about needing more tour guides per day.

The interview is 20mins and is 1-on-1 with a faculty member. No student in the room.

There is a tour and lunch at noon, so depending on whether you are AM or PM, the tour/lunch will be before/after

Do they offere secondary to all?
My primary was released to them in June and no secondary yet?
I am out of State candidate.

Do they offere secondary to all?
My primary was released to them in June and no secondary yet?
I am out of State candidate.
i'd call if i was you. i didnt release my app to them til august but i got a secondary pretty quick after.

i'd call if i was you. i didnt release my app to them til august but i got a secondary pretty quick after.
I got the secondary at their website. I am thinking to just fill and send to them.

I was born in NJ and i'm ready to leave Florida and experience new things. I like that there is plenty of access to UMDNJ hospitals so that I can have early patient interactions. I also like that it isn't in a town like LMU-DCOM, which I don't think I could handle, so that there are plenty of things to do outside of the classroom.

i live in jersey but i was thinking of florida to experience new things haha. but if this school gives me an interview, i mite just have to stick around

i live in jersey but i was thinking of florida to experience new things haha. but if this school gives me an interview, i mite just have to stick around

Haha I like to see that someone thinks like me. I know how you feel though I thoroughly enjoyed my interview at NSU yesterday and it made leaving Florida a little bit harder

Haha I like to see that someone thinks like me. I know how you feel though I thoroughly enjoyed my interview at NSU yesterday and it made leaving Florida a little bit harder

nice man! im lookin forward to NSU but i dont have it until nov 23rd. its gonna suck cuz im sure a decent amount of people will have been interviewed/accepted by that point

Hey guys! My interview is on Sept. 16 at 9AM and I will be staying around for the tour/lunch. A few questions to those who interviewed...

Was it open file or closed file?
What questions did the interviewers ask?
For the morning interviewees, what did you guys do in between your interview and tour/lunch? Since mine is at 9AM, and knowing that the interview is 20 min long, I feel like I will have some free time between the interview and the lunch?

Thanks!! I am so nervous about this one and it is my top choice school! I drove by it today to get a feel of where it is located and the campus looks beautiful.

Hey guys. Besides people getting interviews (and congrats to all of you!), has anyone heard from this school? I just looked through my inbox and don't think I've received anything from them since they asked me to submit the secondary, not even a complete email. Has anyone gotten anything? Is there an online status check?

So are you saying that for UMDNJ the interview is more of a formality? Id never go into an interview treating it lightly, I just ask because from the way you put it, it sounds like they are rather selective when deciding who to interview.

So are you saying that for UMDNJ the interview is more of a formality? Id never go into an interview treating it lightly, I just ask because from the way you put it, it sounds like they are rather selective when deciding who to interview.

The interview is NOT a formality. A person who looks good on paper, may come out to be egotistical and a phony when they interview. On the other hand, a person who has borderline stats may be the perfect fit for the school based on the interview.

Interviews are granted to people who are felt would be a good match for the school based on your application. You can either seal the deal or break the deal with the interview.

As for the secondary. This school does NOT screen. Just go to the website, fill in the secondary and send it in. Once you send it, wait about a week and then call to ensure that it was received and your file is complete. This goes for all schools that you send material in to. They are NOT responsible to tell you what is missing. YOU are responsible to ensure that your file is complete. Take charge of your application and keep track of everything.

What day does the adcom meet this month so I know when to hold my phone in anticipation.

They should really want me to go to NJ, everybody loves Florida and I can bring a little bit of Florida spice to the north, and by that I mean suburban middle class white guy spice not the much more exciting Latin Miami spice.

I posted this on the previous page.

They meet his fri - third fri of every month

I'm OOS, but I have a lot of NJ connections: my mom grew up in NJ and my grandparents have been there since 1970, along with some of my aunts. My father started work in NJ. my sister was born there too. I was born right after moving from NJ.

Do these connections help?

hey fellow applcants...for those of you who have already gone to the UMDNJ-SOM interview, how was it? What kind of questions did they ask?

It was very mellow and they didnt ask me any questions.

We talked about my personal life the whole time.

Not sure if thats good or bad, but I find out tomorrow my decision and will let you know!

I don't usually post.. I'm more of a reader .. but anyways, I have an interview next week (23rd) :D I was pretty nervous until I dug around on SDN.. seems like the interview is pretty relaxed.

Did anyone have an afternoon interview? If so how late did you get out? I have to go to work after mine so I'm hoping I don't end up being late!

My interview was a PM one, and we started late and finished late. Was about 45mins later than I originally though

Depends what time your interview is and what time work is. If work is 30mins after your interview, then you are cutting it close.

That's normal. :)

If you get an interview, you're qualified. They just want to get to know you better at that point.

That's definitely true. Anyone who gets an interview is highly regarded by the school and here is your chance to stand out beyond the numbers and LORs. They try to see your personality as best they can in the amount of time they have and mainly they try to assess what you would be like when interacting with patients.

Good luck to all of you who have interviewed already and to those who have interviews coming up. If you have not received an interview yet, don't get discouraged. It's still early in the application cycle. I didn't interview until early December.

My interview was a PM one, and we started late and finished late. Was about 45mins later than I originally though

Depends what time your interview is and what time work is. If work is 30mins after your interview, then you are cutting it close.

ahhh.. my interview is at 1, work at 3, about 30 mins away. At least now that I know it may run late I can let my job know now that I might run late. Thanks!