Umdnj Vs. Buffalo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whiteteeth

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have deposits at Buffalo and UMDNJ. I don't know which to choose. Buffalo is giving me a lot more financial help than UMDNJ but UMDNJ is closer. If you go or have gone to either of those schools, could you please tell me what you think???

Thanks!! :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same choice to make, im from brooklyn. After touring the schools and talking to students, Buffalo won hands down. It cheaper, in a safer area, and youll be in the clinic faster. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

whiteteeth said:
I have deposits at Buffalo and UMDNJ. I don't know which to choose. Buffalo is giving me a lot more financial help than UMDNJ but UMDNJ is closer. If you go or have gone to either of those schools, could you please tell me what you think???

1. If you feel the need to waste bandwith, please post these type of threads in the pre-dent section.

2. Are you really going to make a decision about dental school based on a few internet opinions? How do you know these people are really even dental students? I mean, omsres is a 54 year old ZZ Top look-alike who started posting on here because he thought he could teach little boys to play doctor on studentdoctor.net.

Members don't see this ad :)
whiteteeth said:
How do you like buffalo???

I didnt like it at first but now i think its a great place to go to school. I am getting the hell out of here when im done. If your from a city itll be very boring. But i think thats a good thing when you have to study most of the time anyway, and when you dont toronto is a 2 hour drive and NY is a 1 hour flight. The weather wasnt as bad as people said it would be, at least this year. You can pretty much survive here on only govt loans, cause rent and car insurance is pretty cheap. Its just my opinion that Buffalo is better that’s why im here, don’t base you decision on it.

xkurkox said:
I didnt like it at first but now i think its a great place to go to school. I am getting the hell out of here when im done. If your from a city itll be very boring. But i think thats a good thing when you have to study most of the time anyway, and when you dont toronto is a 2 hour drive and NY is a 1 hour flight. The weather wasnt as bad as people said it would be, at least this year. You can pretty much survive here on only govt loans, cause rent and car insurance is pretty cheap. Its just my opinion that Buffalo is better that’s why im here, don’t base you decision on it.

thanks for the info :)

whiteteeth said:

my daughter had the exact decision to make last year. she chose umdnj. although umdnj's location is ghetto, students drive into a protected parking garage and head to class...hasn't been a problem. as far as saving money gong to buffalo, flights home cost, and driving can be hazardous, not to mention that buffalo students have big headaches getting patients for clinic. umdnj schedules clinic patients for you....veeeeery helpful. also, umdnj's new clinic will be in place for you. students live in neighboring towns where commute is short (15-20 mins) and neighborhood safe. but be aware, umdnj is mucho competetive once you're in. hope this helps you a little. good luck to you.

dentalmom said:
my daughter had the exact decision to make last year. she chose umdnj. although umdnj's location is ghetto, students drive into a protected parking garage and head to class...hasn't been a problem. as far as saving money gong to buffalo, flights home cost, and driving can be hazardous, not to mention that buffalo students have big headaches getting patients for clinic. umdnj schedules clinic patients for you....veeeeery helpful. also, umdnj's new clinic will be in place for you. students live in neighboring towns where commute is short (15-20 mins) and neighborhood safe. but be aware, umdnj is mucho competetive once you're in. hope this helps you a little. good luck to you.
Regarding this post...there are plenty of patients at Buffalo. I never had a problem getting patients and as far as scheduling patients goes...there's two ways of looking at it. Scheduling your own patients teaches you a lot about patient and people management...skills you will definitely need in private practice. Plus, when you are in total control of your chair time...you can fill a slot last minute if you get a cancellation...one of the many advantages of having your own operatory. I'm originally from Long Island, so I flew and drove back and forth many times...believe me, unless you're planning on flying home every other weekend...going to Buffalo even with the extra transportation costs is very very inexpensive considering the alternatives....just thought I'd give you a balanced perspective so you can make an informed decision.

Damit Angie just choose Buffalo lol!!!

DocDrtySanchez said:
Regarding this post...there are plenty of patients at Buffalo. I never had a problem getting patients and as far as scheduling patients goes...there's two ways of looking at it. Scheduling your own patients teaches you a lot about patient and people management...skills you will definitely need in private practice. Plus, when you are in total control of your chair time...you can fill a slot last minute if you get a cancellation...one of the many advantages of having your own operatory. I'm originally from Long Island, so I flew and drove back and forth many times...believe me, unless you're planning on flying home every other weekend...going to Buffalo even with the extra transportation costs is very very inexpensive considering the alternatives....just thought I'd give you a balanced perspective so you can make an informed decision.
:) :)