Soonay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm a HS senior trying to decide between University of Michigan and NYU, and am planning on doing the pre-med track. I've heard that UMich is generally superior for the sciences, but to be honest I'm personally leaning towards NYU for the city and overall atmosphere. I'm super conflicted b/c I feel like I might enjoy NYU more but I don't want to sacrifice academics/resources...

My question is this: is UMich MUCH better than NYU premed-wise? How do the clinical/lab resources at Ann Arbor compare to NYC's undoubtedly great ones? Tell me what you guys think!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a diehard UMich alum and bleed maize and blue. With that said, go with your gut. Either school will get you where you want to go.

Hey guys!

I'm a HS senior trying to decide between University of Michigan and NYU, and am planning on doing the pre-med track. I've heard that UMich is generally superior for the sciences, but to be honest I'm personally leaning towards NYU for the city and overall atmosphere. I'm super conflicted b/c I feel like I might enjoy NYU more but I don't want to sacrifice academics/resources...

My question is this: is UMich MUCH better than NYU premed-wise? How do the clinical/lab resources at Ann Arbor compare to NYC's undoubtedly great ones? Tell me what you guys think!

Regarding school atmosphere, the two schools are distinctly different. If you're into school spirit, the experience of a large state university and all of its glorious resources, events, departments, research etc., Michigan is the place to be (this in addition to the excellent academics and graduate schools, including the med school). NYU is also an exceptional university and has an excellent medical school. I would caution undergrads on choosing a school based off of a city. I love New York, but I've witnessed more than a few people who have made the city their "playground" instead of the university (but they weren't premeds, so this probably doesn't apply to you). If I were you, check out the freshman resources for both schools. I'm not too familiar with NYU, but I know a place like Michigan would have a large number of groups, events, and built-in mentoring for making sure freshman transition well into the university. This seems unimportant, but there will be times when the appropriate mentoring, counseling, and advising are just as important for getting you through your degree. I've seen a lack of those same resources at city schools, which tend to be a bit grittier and lack certain things (like space, literally) that a large state school can offer.

It all depends on the experience you want! Like the above poster said, both are excellent schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live very close to UMich, Ann Arbor has a great feel, its a college town and everyone there loves UM. There's a lot to do (not as much as NYC, obviously) and the social scene is very active. Personally I would go to UM any day of the week but I am very VERY biased. I guess if it came down to nuts and bolts I may consider NYU if its cheaper. Go to the one you'll thrive at and do well.

Since both are fantastic schools, you will receive an excellent undergraduate education at either one!

I am wondering, however, did you consider the financial costs of each? Undergraduate and medical school are extremely expensive, depending on the circumstances. If you are in-state, then UMichigan is a much better option (financially) considering how much cheaper it is. People have told me NYU is notorious for being extremely expensive, costing up to $70,000 a year without scholarships and financial aid.

Overall, both are amazing options. Since you are striving to become a doctor, the financial costs should definitely be a major consideration.

If tuition and fees are not a major factor in your decision, then consider choosing which has a superior science program, and has a better program for your intended major(s).
Good luck! You should be proud of yourself for having amazing options to choose from!

Hey guys!

NYU