umich with full scholarship or hopkins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wetlightning said:
hey guys, i wouldn't normally do this, but i JUST found out that i got into hopkins. :D i'm thrilled, but considering how late it is in the season, i'm having a really tough time making a decision.

here's the deal: full ride at michigan. probably only fin aid at hopkins. strong interest in international health and academic medicine.

i'm also kind of worried about hopkins' location, but totally in love with the strong clinical training, the diversity of patients, etc.

advice? please?
I would definitely go with Michigan-- full ride, and Baltimore sucks. That just my opinon, though. Do whatever the hell you want.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go to Michigan. Like Dr. Gregory House, he went to Michigan for medical school, then Hopkins for residency. I mean, if House did it, I see no reason why you wouldn't. Duh!!

But in all seriousness, unless you can afford to go to Hopkins (I doubt it since you mentioned fin. aid), don't be a fool, go to Michigan. Free med. school? I can't even believe you are asking this question. I doubt going to Hopkins over Michigan will make you a better doctor (unless you are just worried about the name).

ND2005 said:
don't go to Michigan.

Their football team is always second fiddle (either to ND or OSU, depending on the time of year)

Unfortunately that is the sad truth, especially over the past 5 years. In the 90's Michigan was better than both programs.

But it's always "What have you done for me lately?"

Members don't see this ad :)
wetlightning said:
hey guys, i wouldn't normally do this, but i JUST found out that i got into hopkins. :D

Hey congratulations! By the way, did you meet that ridiculous "at least 24 semester hours of humanities" requirement?

Where does Michigan get all of their scholarship money anyway? It seems like the majority of applicants get a significant amount of tuition assistance, if not a full ride. I just don't understand where they get all of their money.

Their endowment, used only for medical school education, must be huge...

Total med students = 700
Average assistance/student = $15,000
Trust payout ratio = 5%

Total endowment size = 700*15,000/0.05 = $210 million.

I happen to know that Northwestern's is about 1/3 of that size.

U Mich!! are you crazy? a good friend of mine got into hopkins right off the bat with a fat scholarship, and went to u mich (where he was on the waitlist) to say please match my $$ because i really want to go to u mich. as he should. hopkins is competitive and in the slums. saying u mich is like saying ucsf or harvard. um and jhu are the same league, so name brand recognition shouldn't be a consideration. the only question is if you want to put up with the truly painful michigan winters or not

Go to Hopkins..Although Michigan is a great school, Hopkins is even greater, and I dare say, superior-yes, superior- to HMS.

gottamakeit said:
Forget Hopkins, I would go to UMichigan and you have a full ride...also remember you can probably go to Hopkins for your residency. For example, Dr.Ben Carson went to UMichigan for medical school and now works at Hopkins:)
Just a thought.
Werd.

The thing, actually, is that the match list for hopkins is hit or miss. And many of the hits are Hopkins. So you'd be spending all of your 20s in Baltimore. Below is the list of competitive specialties for Hopkins I made in my decision-making process.

JHU
Ortho 2006—GW, HSS, Barnes-Jewish, Pitt
Ortho 2005—Hopkins (4), NYU, Iowa, Georgetown
Ortho 2004—Duke, HSS, Emory, Cinci, Univ Hosp Cleveland, Tripler Army Hosp/Hawaii

Optho 2006—UCLA, USC (2), Hopkins
Optho 2005—Hopkins (2), USC, Stanford, Upenn, NYU, Columbia, UCIrvine
Optho 2004—Hopkins (2) WashU (2), Harvard, St. Vincent's/NY, Wayne State

ENT 2006—Iowa, Hopkins (2), Wash,
ENT 2005—Hopkins, Uwash
ENT 2004—Duke, Iowa, UAB, BU

Plastic 2006—NU, Penn, UCI
Plastic 2005—Bringham
Plastic 2004—Hopkins, Umich, Baylor

Anes 2006—Hopkins (5), Mass Gen
Anes 2005—Hopkins (2), Upenn, MUSC, MGH, Brigham
Anes2004—Hopkins, MGH, UCSD

Neurosurg 2005—Hopkins (2), Columbia (2), U of Az, Cleveland Clinic, USC, Umich
Neurgosurg 2004—Johns Hopkins (3), USC (1)

Derm 2006—Mass Gen(2), Penn State Hershey, Henry Ford, Jackson Memorial
Derm 2005—MGH
Derm 2004—Hopkins (2), Umaryland (2), Henry Ford, Drexel

Gen Surg 2006—Boston (2), Duke, Walter Reed
Gen Surg 2005—Hopkins (3), Umich, Virginia Mason—Wa, UVA
Gen Surg 2004—Hopkins (6), Yale, UCSD, UMass