Umm, so is the CCS scored by a computer or a human?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fenster

Call me Fred
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is probably a pretty weird question! I'm wondering if this test is in any way like Step 2 CS where the H&P scoring is done by physicians? How does CCS work? Is it all done by the computer or do real physicians look to see if one's ordered the right empirical antibiotic, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, I don't think that anyone knows how these exams are scored! I took it over two soul-crushing days last weekend. Left feeling like I either failed or barely passed. I did well with USMLE World and on the first two step, but this time, I felt like I choked on a lot of them exam because I felt rushed or got flustered. Just have to cross my fingers for the next 3 weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in a unique situation where I've been out for 5 years (graduate 2009) and had two babies. The program where I'll probably attend said they'd prefer I take Step III to catch up to where I was. I only had December and a little of January to really study because I adjunct-teach part-time when I'm not with my daughters. I think I had a stellar performance on peds and obstetrics questions! And I did well on psych which is what I'm going into. The ER/Inpatient stuff was a lot like USMLE World, but I'm slower reading and processing those situations because I haven't been in that environment in a while... so I choked. It won't happen to you (unless you've been on a long child-rearing hiatus), so don't worry!

Does it matter? Would you approach the test any differently?

Yes! I would type the reasons for consults in more detail (and maybe even the diagnosis). I would also think twice before ordering a borderline unnecessary test and not try to cover all my bases all the time.

I'm in a unique situation where I've been out for 5 years (graduate 2009) and had two babies. The program where I'll probably attend said they'd prefer I take Step III to catch up to where I was. I only had December and a little of January to really study because I adjunct-teach part-time when I'm not with my daughters. I think I had a stellar performance on peds and obstetrics questions! And I did well on psych which is what I'm going into. The ER/Inpatient stuff was a lot like USMLE World, but I'm slower reading and processing those situations because I haven't been in that environment in a while... so I choked. It won't happen to you (unless you've been on a long child-rearing hiatus), so don't worry!

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I ordered unnecessary stuff too. I keep kicking myself when I think about requesting drainage of an ovarian abscess for a woman with PID. She declined the procedure. Doh! Hopefully it'll be okay, even if we ordered so superfluous stuff. 10/12 of my patients got better and the cases ended early, and two of them didn't get worse and went the full 20 minutes...

The text boxes (final diagnosis, consults) are not graded at all, by computer or human.